The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Impact exercise is kinda sketchy for me also. It aggravates a bum knee.
That's no biggie, Don, there are plenty of non-impact ways to exercise. Keep up the good work! 👍
Bad knees and lower back here too. Know your dilemma.
I have substituted impact training with couch training.
The results have been mediocre.
The couch is not as comfortable as is needed for the increased use.

Fluffy.
Thanks guys! Honestly, the knee is a new issue. But I really fear needing a knee replacement surgery. So I will opt out of the impact type stuff. The spin classes seem to work well for me...I just get bored of them from time to time. Obviously there is walking...which for right now is great as the weather is cooperating.

The lower back thing has been going on for the past year and a half or so. I tried the Physical Therapy route...which I felt that the Physical Therapist wasn't aggressive enough, and the moment they say "do your exercises" and then walk away...yeah...PT is too expensive for that. I tried Yoga for a while. I really like it, but it got to the point where I think I was actually hurting myself. I think the Chiropractor actually helped a little...but it wasn't the full relief I wanted. Then there was strength training. I started out doing machine exercises and that was working pretty well. Then I started this class I am doing now. It's a tad more intense, lighter weights, more reps. The inclusion of exercises like dead lifts, bent over rows, cleans and some other stuff...this is what has alleviated the pain the most. Building my back and core has been a game changer for me.

I’m curious to see how your balm experiment goes. I’ve occasionally used some Nivea ASB directly after shaving and then applied a few glugs of splash a little while later before leaving the house. It seems to help with dry skin in the winter months.

I’m curious to see how your balm experiment goes. I’ve occasionally used some Nivea ASB directly after shaving and then applied a few glugs of splash a little while later before leaving the house. It seems to help with dry skin in the winter months.
Yeah...not sure. It's okay for now because the heat hasn't taken over yet. Yesterday, I had really amazingly soft skin. Not sure if it is my routine that I have changed up (I am lathering a soap to wash my face in the shower and then let it sit there for a couple of minutes), or if it is the wonderful CBL Soap...or is it this balm I am using now. I will chalk it up to being a little of all three.

A good cooling, not thick balm is Baxter of California's aftershave balm. I'll use that when I use my lighter scented soaps and I feel like it works really well. I ran across it on a "best balms for sensitive skin" article and decided to give it a shot. Did not disappoint!

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black) (6th Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Soap - CBL Tonsorial - Balsamic Oud (13th Shave)
Brush: TSC Member Brush...the Luca Brasi...in Finest Badger, made by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
The Ante-penultimate Aftershave: Superior 70
The Penultimate Aftershave: L&L Grooming (Declaration Grooming) Cuir et Epices After Shave Balm
The Ultimate Aftershave: Fine Accouterments - Platinum

1580818969336.png

The 13th shave of the CBL Soap is still going strong. Actually, I would say that the each continuous shave of the CBL soap is better than the last! This soap just keeps getting better and better and better! Today's shave is the slickest this soap has been and man was it slick. I am going to credit this to the daily bloom and continuous shaves! The shave was pretty darn good too! Three passes and I ended up with a DFS+.

The blade...well by now I am pitching it...but this 7 O'Clock Black is going strong! I am very impressed. These seem relatively cheap enough that 100 pack of these might find their way into my den.

Well now...I have a lot going on as far as scents go. I got in three bottles of Superior 70 yesterday that I purchased on a whim. I decided to go with the Superior 70 instead of the Humphreys this morning. Well, that was likely ill advised. No harm, no foul...but the soothing of the witch hazel was absent and the bay oil and alcohol...man that was a wake up. Not sure what I was thinking. Then the Cuir et Epices balm. Neither the Superior 70, nor the CeE are similar scents. To add to that...the Platinum has nothing in common with the previous two. Hmm...not sure what the people on the elevator are going to think. 😜

The Danger Zone!!!

I was going to go to the gym yesterday...but the knee still felt a little "mushy." So I gave it another rest. Probably going to do the same today. It's just healing a tad bit slower than I was expecting...but I have to take cues from my body.

Looking around the journals...it's interesting to see many new threads! This is a testament to the Three Amigos (@Cvargo @CBLindsay and @BarberDave ) and what they have done here. It's also a testament to the Cadre and what each and everyone of us are building here!

Come on Cadre! Get on it! It's Tuesday!

Well now...I have a lot going on as far as scents go. I got in three bottles of Superior 70 yesterday that I purchased on a whim. I decided to go with the Superior 70 instead of the Humphreys this morning. Well, that was likely ill advised. No harm, no foul...but the soothing of the witch hazel was absent and the bay oil and alcohol...man that was a wake up. Not sure what I was thinking. Then the Cuir et Epices balm. Neither the Superior 70, nor the CeE are similar scents. To add to that...the Platinum has nothing in common with the previous two. Hmm...not sure what the people on the elevator are going to think. 😜

That is a seizure inducing melange of scents.

Sucks about your knee. I'm definitely learning to take care of my body while it's still worth a damn. I had a scare a couple of weeks ago. I picked up a patient that weighed closer to 400lbs after disregarding my partner because reasons. The instant I lifted I felt my lumbar spine compress...like super obvious compression. I'm pretty sure I used proper lifting technique. I was scared that I slipped a disk or stained something until I got home two days later. Never. Again.

Sucks about your knee. I'm definitely learning to take care of my body while it's still worth a damn. I had a scare a couple of weeks ago. I picked up a patient that weighed closer to 400lbs after disregarding my partner because reasons. The instant I lifted I felt my lumbar spine compress...like super obvious compression. I'm pretty sure I used proper lifting technique. I was scared that I slipped a disk or stained something until I got home two days later. Never. Again.
BE Careful dude! I know you paramedics are stronger than most people think...but seriously. I am not trying to be disrespectful in way to the patient...but in a situation like that, you need to use some sort of leverage to accomplish the task at hand. I know when I was in the Marine Corps we had to carry other guys all the time for our training. Firemen Carries, drags, assists, etc, etc, etc. The difference though was that I was in the peak shape of my life, I was in my 20s, and the people I was picking up were other very fit Marines. So none of them weighed more that 210 pounds. Take it from a guy who did about 20 years of things that, while not the same exactly as what you are doing, causes the same type of body destruction. Start caring now and you will have a better life later!

Yeah! I didn't shave this morning...what's it to ya! 🤪 Just wasn't in the mood.

The Danger Zone!!!

It's a short day at work today as I have an Optometry Appointment. Got to get the old eyes checked out. I don't have a heavy prescription as it is, and I don't wear contact lenses. I do wear glasses and I should probably wear them more than I should. They are progressive lenses though as I have some issues near and far. I don't expect that my prescription to change much, if at all. If my script doesn't change, I am likely to get a pair of sunglasses. Or who knows...I have always wanted a "fun" pair of glasses.

We have some storms rolling through the area. Nothing of real concern. But I worry about the Danger Hounds. Chauncey is our old man and just doesn't do well with the thunder and more. And Allie is our rescue who has serious anxiety over fireworks and thunder. So we dosed the doggies with CBD this morning. I know some like the stuff and others don't. I works with some and not so much with others. I will say...that it is a Godsend with our furry kids. I won't say that it eliminates the anxiety altogether. But it's a huge improvement. Before the dogs would bark and act out in other ways. Now they just find a favorite spot and kind of hunker down. It's safer for them that way.

I forgot to put my occlusal (dental) guard in last night. It's something I need to get used to. But the first night went a lot better than I thought. I only woke up a few times because of it and I was able to keep it in all night. This thing kind of snaps into my lower teach and I think that I might have actually git some better sleep that night.

It's Hump Day Cadre! We are getting closer to the weekend! Go out and conquer! Be a representative of YOU in this world!

Back