The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Laser Ultra (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Soap - CBL Tonsorial - Balsamic Oud (3rd Shave)
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Lavender Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Aqua Velva - Ice Sport

Starting the CBL 3017 that just goes completely against my character. For as long as I can remember, I g=have been a man of variety...never settling on one thing for any length of time. So I am not sure how this is going to work...but I will give it a try.

So I have a big bowl of blades that I just reach into sometimes and see what I pull out for the morning shave. This morning I pulled out Laser Ultra. Yeah...I likely won't be using this blade again. One side was a really nice shave while the other side was obviously much duller. Either way...this blade won't do.

The CBL Soap of course whipped up a nice and creamy lather...no fault there at all. Balsamic Oud is a really nice and light fresh smelling soap. So this will give me an opportunity to use up some aftershaves that don't have much longevity and use some fragrances that I have.

The Danger Zone!!!

We have storms pretty much all day today. My poor Danger Hound is not doing well with them at the moment. So it looks like she will be crated all day. I hate doing that to her, but it seems to work for her okay. Plus with the recent scuffle that Allie got into with Chauncey that left him in stitches...I'm not sure I want to test my luck.

Put up most of the Christmas decorations yesterday. All of the outside stuff and most of the inside stuff. All that is left is the Christmas Tree. That will likely go up this weekend.

Hope the Cadre finishes off this week strong. I myself am trying not to have any post holiday hangover!

Put up most of the Christmas decorations yesterday. All of the outside stuff and most of the inside stuff. All that is left is the Christmas Tree. That will likely go up this weekend.
My neighborhood has many elaborate outdoor Christmas decorations that will remain on display for the next couple of weeks, some even longer. I enjoy the holidays, but when they are over, they are over and it's time to get back to normal, IMO.

My neighborhood has many elaborate outdoor Christmas decorations that will remain on display for the next couple of weeks, some even longer. I enjoy the holidays, but when they are over, they are over and it's time to get back to normal, IMO.
I am on the fence about this actually. The wife is from Western PA like you Bruce. And she has always left Christmas Decorations up through the 12 Days of Christmas and Epiphany. But last couple of years we have taken them down when it was convenient for us.

Storms here for a couple days too Don. Hang in there (y)
I'm not too worried. Just feel bad for the doggies. Allie is a rescue and does not handle fireworks or thunder very well. We have been administering doses of CBD oil for Allie during these trying times for her...but somewhere along the line I guess we ran out. Ordering more...but it will take a couple days to get her. The CBD oil seems to work very well with her, so I am a believer.

I'm not too worried. Just feel bad for the doggies. Allie is a rescue and does not handle fireworks or thunder very well. We have been administering doses of CBD oil for Allie during these trying times for her...but somewhere along the line I guess we ran out. Ordering more...but it will take a couple days to get her. The CBD oil seems to work very well with her, so I am a believer.
I see a lot of good said to be accomplished by it including anxiety and PAIN. I am watching it optimistically to see if any negative comes out eventually before I try it myself. Not cheap stuff but if it works AND is safe I'm interested. Remember when something was FDA approved and came to market you could trust it?...............Those days seem to be gone as people rush things to market for profits and then issues are found. I'm not saying this as a the dog shouldn't have it. Just a mini rant on the lack of oversight due to greed these days that makes me more cautious before I jump on the bandwagon for my own personal use. Shouldn't have to but it is what it is. Hoping the dogs do well thru this (y) :cool:

I see a lot of good said to be accomplished by it including anxiety and PAIN. I am watching it optimistically to see if any negative comes out eventually before I try it myself. Not cheap stuff but if it works AND is safe I'm interested. Remember when something was FDA approved and came to market you could trust it?...............Those days seem to be gone as people rush things to market for profits and then issues are found. I'm not saying this as a the dog shouldn't have it. Just a mini rant on the lack of oversight due to greed these days that makes me more cautious before I jump on the bandwagon for my own personal use. Shouldn't have to but it is what it is. Hoping the dogs do well thru this (y) :cool:
Thanks Dave! My suggestion would be not wait necessarily for the FDA to give you info...because they won't. And let's not forget that the FDA is a government agency and is often politically driven. That isn't to say that they don't add some protections for us. But look to actual scientific studies. The overwhelming majority of them are good. A common misconception is that CBD is a new thing. It is not, there have been studies conducted for quite some time now. It's just now that CBD has become widely available. My Orthopedic Doctor (one of the few doctors I really trust) believes in it so much that she prescribes if for some of her patients and has her own line of CBD supplements (I know this seems like it could be a conflict of interest...but I don't believe it was intended that way).

I can't tell you myself if it works for me, as I haven't really tried it myself. I do have a sample of some Isolate to mix in with some oil for topical use...I just haven't tried it yet. y knee is giving me some issues lately so I think this weekend I will give it a whirl. My sis-in-law uses it for herself and for her pets and swears by it. My suggestion is that if you want to try some...make sure it's a good quality CBD. Check for third party testing (if the company does this they will have it posted) and make sure you know exactly what you are getting. There are some CBD products that have no THC and others that have less than .04% THC. It's not enough for you to feel effects, but some people don't want any THC at all.

Anyway...I do know for the doggies it helps a lot. It's all natural (or at least the product you get should be) and the science STRONGLY supports really good benefits for anxiety and pain management. Anyway...just my two cents!

Roger that, I wasn't waiting for the FDA endorsement but threw it out as an example. True to research the scientific studies. The massage therapist I saw recommended it and of course encouraged hers as others can be not pure or properly formulated etc as you described which is what I was trying to point out. Not enough standardization when it is young in the OPEN market perhaps. I do have my eye on it. Thanks (y)

Blade: Voskhod (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Soap - CBL Tonsorial - Balsamic Oud (4th Shave)
Brush: Stirling 24 mm Fan in Finest Badger

After yesterdays rough shave with the Laser...I went with a blade that I know will give me a smooth shave. Maybe not the sharpest blade in the shed...but it feels good on the skin.

I switched to the badger brush today and I have to say that man...this soap lathers really well with a badger brush. It works just fine with the synthetic also...but something about Stirling Finest Badger that just created a lot of lather...and a lot of really rich lather at that!

The Danger Zone!!!

Last day before the weekend. And while there are some bowl games on tomorrow...it doesn't feel like a football Saturday. I guess chore season is upon us again. And I think I have plenty to do this year.

I am finally cleaning out my toolbox this year.
Have to clean out and reorganize the garage.
Same with the attic
The wife wants to clean the grout in the tile floors.
I need to replace the gate on the fence.

Oh and I am sure there is plenty more to do!

Hope the last day before the weekend treats the Cadre Right! Go forth and conquer!

I am finally cleaning out my toolbox this year.
Have to clean out and reorganize the garage.
Same with the attic
The wife wants to clean the grout in the tile floors.
I need to replace the gate on the fence.
I need to get my toolbox in order, too. Your to-do list is much more ambitious than mine, Don! It's good to have projects - it always feels so good when they are completed.

Blade: Voskhod (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Soap - CBL Tonsorial - Balsamic Oud (5th Shave)
Brush: Stirling Synthetic

Okay, since there was recent discussion in the CBL 3017 thread about blooming the soap...I went ahead and bloomed today! I am not usually one to bloom soap...but after today's shave, maybe I should. It makes sense that blooming the soap would improve loading and probably lather-ability...but I think it actually improved the whole shave! This soap after a nice bloom, produced one of the creamiest lathers I have ever had in a soap. And because it was super creamy, the rest fell into place...slick, a lot of cushion and protection, and even residual slickness was better. Today's shave was a definite winner! DFS++ for the Don!

The Danger Zone!!!

Well the holidays are over. Well for most of the country the holidays are over...today is Epiphany and thus officially starts the Mardi Gras season here in Louisiana...so King Cakes will abound. But for all practical purposes the holidays are over, and let's just say that The Don has packed on a few pounds. It's time to start over. I have been sporadically exercising over the past couple of months and pretty much eating whatever I want. So today I start Low Carb again...and for a period...probably two months maybe three...I will likely go Ketogenic also. I need to do this to bring down some inflammation, to lower insulin and blood sugar, to reduce my BP, and oh yeah...to lose a little weight. Pants are tighter and so are shirts...so it's my yearly wake up call. After a couple of months of the Ketogenic Diet, I will switch to a more low carb whole food type of diet...something in the ball park of Paleo...just with some dairy (I can't give up my cheese!). All the while, I will be including some intermittent fasting, and some regular old fasting. I will also be diligent about my exercise.

So yeah, you will likely read about my kooky nutrition theories and how big Agriculture wants to make us all into lizard people (not a real thing...or at least I don't think so) and all sorts of things you might have been taught and I (someone who had to take Bio 101 in college several times)...and I will tell you they are all wrong! Anyway...here...we...go!

Let's start this week off Right Cadre! It's Monday and let's blow the doors off of it!

Back