The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Dang it, Chauncey! I'm caught up! I'm glad to hear that the pupper is healing up nicely. I like your Tigers to win it all, but it'll be one hell of a game if they're matched up against OSU. Have a strong day, Don!

Dang it, Chauncey! I'm caught up! I'm glad to hear that the pupper is healing up nicely. I like your Tigers to win it all, but it'll be one hell of a game if they're matched up against OSU. Have a strong day, Don!
Thanks!

Nope...LSU plays Oklahoma. If they get past the semi-final then they will play Ohio State or Clemson. Despite what a lot of people say...I think the tougher match-up would be with Clemson. That is if we get there.

Thanks!

Nope...LSU plays Oklahoma. If they get past the semi-final then they will play Ohio State or Clemson. Despite what a lot of people say...I think the tougher match-up would be with Clemson. That is if we get there.
I think we have the benefit of knowing how good OSU is based on their schedule and conference opponents, but with Clemson being in a substantially weaker conference there's a lot left to the imagination, I think. So yeah, I think you might be right about Clemson. I'm pretty sure LSU will cruise past OU. Coach O isn't gonna walk in unprepared.

Okay...the $1,600.00 Avocado Thing!

I think it was about eight or nine years ago...

At the time we had two dogs...Chauncey and Lucy. Chauncey, as we know, is a Dachshund. Lucy was also a Dachshund. Lucy was the older dog and was Alpha Dog of the house. She was a typical Dachshund...very stubborn, very independent, and everything belonged to her.

The wife was in the Kitchen making a salad for herself and pulled out an avocado. Yup...this is THE avocado. We had a new set of Wusthof kitchen knives and man were they sharp! The wife went to cut up the avocado and when she went to cut it in half...she cut clean through the pit! So now she has two halves of the avocado with each half with the pit in it. If anyone has eaten a fresh avocado then you know that it is easier to remove the pit when you cut around it and then pull it out to dispose if it. The other thing is that avocado pits are a bit slippery.

So the wife goes to remove the now two halves of the pits and one pops out and falls on the floor. Well Chauncey is a helicopter dog. He is always right there hovering. Well he is now interested in the half of the pit that falls right in front of him. He smells the pit and licks the pit. All is well until Lucy realizes there is "food" on the ground. So she decides to investigate what is going on. Chauncey becomes aware of this and decided that this pit was his. So...down the hatch it goes. Here is an 18 pound dog that just swallowed a half of an avocado pit that is the size of a golf ball and does not digest.

Oh crap!!! We took him to the LSU Emergency Vet Clinic. Waited for HOURS AND HOURS. The poor dude ended up have a scope shoved down his throat and then the vets retrieved the pit and $1,600.00 later...we bought what has to be the most expensive avocado in history!

What is funny is that a few weeks later...a friend of ours told us that one of his friends who was in Vet School was telling him about a training that she was going through and about a dachshund who swallowed an avocado pit. Turns out the Vet school uses that scenario as a training tool now!

So there you have it...a $1,600.00 Avocado.

Okay...the $1,600.00 Avocado Thing!

I think it was about eight or nine years ago...

At the time we had two dogs...Chauncey and Lucy. Chauncey, as we know, is a Dachshund. Lucy was also a Dachshund. Lucy was the older dog and was Alpha Dog of the house. She was a typical Dachshund...very stubborn, very independent, and everything belonged to her.

The wife was in the Kitchen making a salad for herself and pulled out an avocado. Yup...this is THE avocado. We had a new set of Wusthof kitchen knives and man were they sharp! The wife went to cut up the avocado and when she went to cut it in half...she cut clean through the pit! So now she has two halves of the avocado with each half with the pit in it. If anyone has eaten a fresh avocado then you know that it is easier to remove the pit when you cut around it and then pull it out to dispose if it. The other thing is that avocado pits are a bit slippery.

So the wife goes to remove the now two halves of the pits and one pops out and falls on the floor. Well Chauncey is a helicopter dog. He is always right there hovering. Well he is now interested in the half of the pit that falls right in front of him. He smells the pit and licks the pit. All is well until Lucy realizes there is "food" on the ground. So she decides to investigate what is going on. Chauncey becomes aware of this and decided that this pit was his. So...down the hatch it goes. Here is an 18 pound dog that just swallowed a half of an avocado pit that is the size of a golf ball and does not digest.

Oh crap!!! We took him to the LSU Emergency Vet Clinic. Waited for HOURS AND HOURS. The poor dude ended up have a scope shoved down his throat and then the vets retrieved the pit and $1,600.00 later...we bought what has to be the most expensive avocado in history!

What is funny is that a few weeks later...a friend of ours told us that one of his friends who was in Vet School was telling him about a training that she was going through and about a dachshund who swallowed an avocado pit. Turns out the Vet school uses that scenario as a training tool now!

So there you have it...a $1,600.00 Avocado.
They should be paying you royalties on that Don

Oh, man, that poor little dog! As a kid my family had a toy dachschund name Auggie. He was a sweet little boy that had the disconcerting habit of chewing everything in sight, and humping visitors' legs. He was a character: he once sniffed a German shepherd's leg and promptly set about to pee on it. The shepherd couldn't believe it and shoved him away with his snout.

Ok.... I'll admit my pathetic pettiness...
I read the whole story and my take on it is that either Don or Mrs. Don has excellent taste in knives......
Somethin wrong with me.....
I dunno, it reminded me to look for local knife sharpening services. Found a guy that brings his van to your home and will sharpen for $7/knife!

That is an expensive avocado, but you left the most important question unanswered. Did you actually get to eat it, or was it left on the counter to turn brown while you took Chauncey to the vet?

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Voskhod (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: L&L Grooming (Declaration Grooming) - Cuir et Epices
Brush: Stirling 24 mm Fan in Finest Badger
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Lavender Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Chiseled Face - Cedar and Spice

1576153714835.png

Cuir et Epices is another soap that fits the bill of Warm and Spicy! One of the first "Elite" soaps I actually bought and continue to love what Declaration Grooming is doing. I am not a huge fan of leather scents (there are exceptions), but the leather component in this soap seems to be more in the middle and less up front. The soap performs VERY WELL. Maybe a little more thirsty than others...but just an excellent soap. I would still consider it an elite shave.

The shave ended up being in the neighborhood of DFS+. I was hoping for something a little better today. But this will do. Some super splashes of Chiseled Face Cedar and Spice and I smell just like the Holidays!

The Danger Zone!!!

Chauncey is healing up just fine. He goes in tomorrow to get what remaining stitches he has left out. His "open" wounds are getting better, but I can't help but think that had he not pulled them out...he would be almost healed completely. Either way...he is acting more and more like himself as of late.

Another long trip for work today. Driving to Shreveport which makes it a three and a half to four hours each way. A couple hours conducting interviews, and then back home again will make this easily a 10 hour day of which most of it will be in the car. My back and hips are already complaining! But it will give me a chance catch up on some podcasts.

Hope the Cadre has an excellent day! We are almost there!

Back