The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Voskhod (3rd Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - CBL Tonsorial - Balsamic Oud
Brush: Stirling 24mm Finest Badger
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Lavender Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Fine Accouterments - L'Orange Noir

1574424810843.png

It's Friday all! And sitting in my mailbox last night was a tub of @CBLSoap.com CBL Tonsorial Balsamic Oud. First of all...super appreciative and a big thank you to Chris @CBLindsay !

So what perfect way to start my Friday and to finish of my week than to shave with the CBL Tonsorial Balsamic Oud! And guess what? It's Still TSC Artisan Week featuring CBL!

So about this soap...First...about the scent. Well...there isn't much there. I smell the soap base (which is pleasant) and I do detect a scent, but it is more of a "creamy" scent than anything. Taking alooking at the scent notes on Balsamic Oud..."amber, tonka bean, cardamom, oud, sandalwood and rosewood"...I would have thought the scent to be more pronounced. I have never sniffed "Oud Wood" by Tom Ford so I don't really have a frame of reference...but those notes look like the scent would project more. That being said...I didn't dislike the soap (yeah I know...double negative). In fact...I think the scent would definitely appeal to more basic shavers (basic by choice and not meaning beginners).

The performance of Balsamic Oud is right on the money! Lots of creamy luxurious lather. If I didn't like Chris' hemp oil formula so much...I would be very happy with this soap. Okay...that came out wrong...I am very happy with this soap...but you all know what I mean! I think this would be great in just a puck. I personally like the tub...but I can see people really liking this in a puck. Also...If I had a stick container ready...I might try this in a stick. I actually think this would be a great soap in a stick.

All in all...this is a great soap. I have paid a LOT more for soap that didn't perform nearly as well. This is a really good one especially at the price point.

Finished up with some serious splashes of the Orange Dirt smelling aftershave! And again...the people in the elevator have no idea what kind of treat is in store for them. 🤪

The Danger Zone:

Thanks so much reading my journal! I realize that most of us really post a lot of the same stuff. But I do try to make this as interesting as possible.

It's going to be a rainy weekend here in the Deep South so I am not sure how much outside work will be done. Not that the grass is growing anymore...but I need to get one more mow in before I put up Christmas Decorations.

Anyway...I hope the Cadre has a FANTASTIC Friday and an even better weekend!

Good report on the tonsorial!

We keep the decorations pretty light around our house. Most of what we do is on the inside. Just as well...still have a ways yet before my trees are finished shedding leaves.

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Super Max Platinum Plus (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - CBL Tonsorial - Balsamic Oud
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Lavender Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Fine Accouterments - American Blend

1574515094923.png

It's a rare Saturday shave for me today...but it's more that I wanted to use the CBL Tonsorial Balsamic Oud more than I really wanted to shave. Crazy...right? The lather on this soap is really magnificent. So luxurious and rich. I am very impressed with the quality of the soap that Chris @CBLindsay @CBLSoap.com has made with minimal ingredients. Curious what others might compare this soap to with a similar formulation and also in performance. The only thing that comes to my mind are some of the vintage tallow soap soaps. At any rate...this stuff is really good!

Did just a quick two passer today and come out with a DFS. Splashed enough of Fine American Blend so that the Danger Hounds were running for cover. Yup...I am THAT guy even at home.

The Danger Zone:

Went to get my haircut yesterday and the guy who usually cuts it wasn't in because his wife had a baby...Slacker... 🤪. So I let the owner of the shop, Lawrence, cut my hair this time around. This barber shop is about as close to a traditional old school barber shop that you can get these days. A lot of guys in an out...people talking...magazines all around...now if they could use something other than Clubman as an aftershave I would be happy. Anyway...got my haircut...it's closer to a High and Tight than I would like...but I am not upset at all. But let me tell you...Lawrence puled out the straight and cleaned up the neck and ears and the back of the head. When it was all said and done...the back of my head was smoother than my shave that morning!

It's the weekend and there are some interesting football games on today! Hope the Cadre has a great and relaxing one!

My son goes to a similar barbershop. Very traditional. I got out the clippers and gave myself a haircut today. Don't want to be shaggy on Thanksgiving!

Back