The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Good to hear the progress Don. Most frustrating thing I deal with is always being out of breath. I've never been a smoker but Pulmonary doc thought I was a long term heavy smoker and keeps encouraging me to quit :rolleyes:. The things we take for granted.......
Sorry to hear Dave. But at least treatments have gotten better for this type of stuff over the years. It is frustrating when a doc thinks you are doing something even when you tell them you are not!

So...to shorten the story a bit...he was transported from one ER to another by ambulance (key in @bentheduck again),
They made him deal with thrash metal during the drive?

Glad to hear he's finally squared away. We've gotten our first flu cases in the hospital a week or two ago. So it's starting up again.

Razor: Gillette Psycho Tech
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (3rd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Stirling - Triumph
Brush: TSC First Anniversary Brush in Timber Wolf Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Generic Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Stirling Triumph

1573217662588.png

It's Game Day tomorrow and a Big Game at that. LSU plays at Alabama in Tusca-Loser. It's a match up of Number 1 and 2 teams, or Number 2 and 1 Teams, or Number 2 and 3 Teams depending on the poll you adhere. Either way...it's going to be great! And to cheer my team on (LSU if you didn't know already) I decided to go with Triumph today! I won't say much about the shave other than it is was a good one! DFS and it is in the books! Splashes, copious splashes of the aftershave of the same name and I am ready for the elevator to the 10th floor at work! But are those who ride with me ready? That is the question!

The Danger Zone:

So the Father-In-Law took a set back. Yesterday his breathing became labored again and required more oxygen. Turns out he has RSV (respiratory syncytial virus or human orthopneumovirus). The way it was explained to me is that it is similar to the Rhinovirus (usually the cause of the common cold), but a more violent strain of it. You can read more about it here at the Mayo Clinic's Website: Respiratory syncytial virus - Symptoms and causes

Either way...it looks like he will be in the hospital longer. The wife is really worried about him because it seems that he is getting weaker now. I keep reassuring her that he is exactly where he needs to be and that people are looking over him 24 hours. Just praying for the best.

As I eluded to earlier...there is a big game on this weekend! And everyone is buzzing here in Southern Louisiana! I have been going to work in my Purple and Gold all week and I am ready for the game! It should be a good one!

At the 1:25 mark are the first notes that all Tiger Fans crave to hear!

I hope this weekend is a great one for you Cadre!

Hmm. I would've never guessed RSV, I've only ever seen it in toddlers. Looks like I have a little reading to do. I hope he gets better soon, Don. Hospitals suck and I'm sure he hates that your wife is worried about him.

Sorry guys for the lack of update. Yeah, @bentheduck the doc was pretty surprised about the RSV also. But I guess anything can happen. Anyway...the FIL came home Friday evening. Is hooked up to oxygen until he is done with the pneumonia and until his oxygen levels are up. They expect him to be on it for about three weeks. Hopefully that is all. But all in all, it looks like things are getting better. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (4th Shave)
Soap/Cream: Mystic Water Soap - Windjammer
Brush: Stirling 24mm Fan in Finest Badger
The Penultimate Aftershave: Generic Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Vintage Old Spice

1573560303796.png

Upon request, this week's shave theme features Shave Sticks. And one of my personal favorite soaps in a stick is @Mystic Water Soap. Personally I think this soap is made for a stick. Maybe not like those other sticks that are hard and you are basically scraping hard powder across your face. But Mystic Water is much more smooth and just a light application yields much lather.

The shave was a great one. I always get a great shave after the weekend when I have two to three days of growth built up. This morning is no exception. Mystic Water is one of the slickest soaps out there...and is probably one of the reasons why Michelle is one of the OG Artisans in the shaving soap world and is still going strong! The shave was a pleasant one with no issues at all. I'm Grading this one DFS+. I could have got closer on the neck, but I just didn't feel like chasing.

Windjammer is in the "Old Spice" family of scents and just a perfect combination of masculinity, old school, and wear-ability. Windjammer definitely smells like Old Spice and what better aftershave and cologne to pair it with than...you guessed it...Old Spice! I'm using the Vintage Shulton variety and absolutely love it. There are two scents in my den that ALWAYS solicit compliments from the ladies I am around. Any of the Creed Aventus inspired by scents and soaps I use and Old Spice. The later is usually funny. I will be somewhere, and someone will ask me what I am wearing and I will tell them that they probably wouldn't believe me. Then I tell them and I get the "REALLY!" response. Up...you herd it here gents...Old Spice is a lady getter! 🤪

The Danger Zone:

The Father-In-Law went to his doc yesterday and she said that everything is progressing well. Oxygen Saturation is up. Need for external oxygen is down. Lungs are clearing up. No wheezing or rattling. So...everything is going well. This weekend was a beautiful one. Sunny and in the lower 70s. I got some last of the year yard work don on my mother's and my FIL's yards. I wanted to get mine done too...but just didn't feel like it. Cold front came through early this morning. Today's highs are in the mid 40s with it getting down into the 20s tonight. Everyone is pulling out their heavy jackets. I call this T-Shirt weather!

Oh...and did I mention that my LSU Tigers beat ALABAMA!!!! Geaux Tigers!

Hope the Cadre has a fantastic week! Since yesterday was Veteran's Day...I had the day off...so today begins my week. Make this week a great one Cadre!

Nice shave and read, Don. Gotta love Old Spice, especially if you have some vintage lying around. It's great to hear that your Father-in-Law is doing better.

Back