The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Razor: Mekur Progress
Blade: Personna Blue (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Co. - Triumph
Brush: Stirling Synthetic Brush
The Penultimate Aftershave: Generic Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Stirling Soap Co. - Triumph

Decided to go with the same shave as yesterday! Why not? The Triumph propelled me through the day and while I was really not all that in to work...somehow I was insanely productive! So why not give it a go...again? Pretty much the same shave minus the clean-up and chasing. I usually do my passes in in this order: North to South, Ear to Nose, South to North. But Today I went ahead and changed up the order to: North to South, South to North, and Ear to Nose. Pretty much came out with a fantastic shave again! I will call it DFS+.

I will say though...that this blade is proving to be not as smooth as I expected. I'll give it another go or two to see if it smooths out...but will likely pitch it if it doesn't.

I anointed myself in aftershave in Biblical fashion. You know...so everyone around me can smell how great I am! Oh! And did I mention that there was Mammoth Painting going on again? @Blade-meister

The Danger Zone:

A late day interview with an Agency Secretary today. I have interviewed a lot of mayors, council members, commissioners, clerks of courts, district attorneys, and others. This might be the highest profile person I have interviewed to-date. Not that it matters really, they are all just people.

The wife is getting better, but is still coughing a lot and really congested. I am wondering now if she might have had the flu and just wasn't running a fever. I know that is rare...but I think it can happen depending on your body's response to infection. Either way...she is miserable...so in turn...I am miserable.

Hope this Tuesday goes great for the Cadre. And I hope you all feel as good as I smell!

Razor: Grand Shave King (circa 1948)
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Co. - Bay Rum
The Ultimate Aftershave: Grand Bay -Bay Rum

1571917033397.png

Thought I would travel to the West Indies today with some Stirling Bay Rum. In my Opinion the scent on this soap is what I think of when I think of bay rum. It smells like an apple pie backed in the Caribbean. Minus the apples of course...because...well...you know...they don't grow apples in the Caribbean. But typical Stirling Lather and typical Stirling Shave. Just awesome!

I decided to change it up a bit and pull out the Grand Shave King razor. This is...in my opinion of course...the absolute mildest razor that was ever constructed. Well I went ahead and put a super sharp blade in it and did a typical three pass shave. Results? Well, I could have ran another pass over it...but honestly, my face and neck are smooth and I have little to no irritation. I'll call it a Damn Fine Shave for the win!

The bottle of Bay Rum aftershave is large and in charge. And so it warrants another bath...another bath in the aftershave that is. But while many of my aftershaves have some serous longevity...sadly...this aftershave does not. It didn't stop me from washing my face and neck in the stuff. There may have been some bathing of the torso also...but I won't get into that.

What a great shave today Cadre!

The Danger Zone:

I woke up really late yesterday so didn't get a chance to talk to the Cadre in my journal. The wife is still doing her best impression of trying to die. She is getting really frustrated with this cold. I suggested going back to the doc...but I really wonder how much they can help. She isn't running a fever. She is taking meds for congestion still. Her conjunctivitis cleared up. The snot is mostly clear. She just feels like crap. Anyway...you know how they say..."Happy Wife, Happy Life." Well I can attest that Unhappy Wife...equals a really unhappy and annoyed husband. I am trying to be patient, but...

Just loving the cooler weather now! I knew it was right around the corner...it just took a while to get here.

We are almost there Cadre! It's almost the weekend! Have a wonderful day!

Hope this Tuesday goes great for the Cadre. And I hope you all feel as good as I smell!

Ever since I saw the Razorock SLOC, I always wanted to try a DOC razor. They’re just cool looking!

Hope the wife feels better! My better half is starting to come down with something. Hoping it passes quickly, she’s much better at taking care of me sick than I am of her sick! 😂😂😂

Ever since I saw the Razorock SLOC, I always wanted to try a DOC razor. They’re just cool looking!

Hope the wife feels better! My better half is starting to come down with something. Hoping it passes quickly, she’s much better at taking care of me sick than I am of her sick! 😂😂😂
I am definitely in this boat also!

Razor: Grand Shave King (circa 1948)
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Co. - Weekend in Malibu
The Ultimate Aftershave: Grand Bay - Weekend in Malibu

weekendinmalibu.jpg

Well after my trip to the West Indies yesterday...I decided that it has been too long since I have seen Malibu! I guess its vacation time all around! It is quite the toss up between Triumph and Weekend in Malibu as to what my favorite Stirling scent is. Of course I only have a few Stirling soaps and have only tried a few others. And with so many scents in the Stirling library...I guess I need to smell more! By the next time the TSC Artisan Soap week featuring Stirling Soap Company comes up...I will have a couple more soaps.

The shave was a good one. I did prove however that I can bleed with this razor. Not even sure what happened. I think I ever so slightly nicked myself on the corner of the blade. That is the only way that I can think of that will make me bleed with this razor. Anyway...it was such a small nick that it stopped bleeding by the time I slapped some witch hazel on.

Three passes and I am in the Damn Fine Shave area and I will take it!

A few healthy glugs and splashes of the aftershave of the same name and all is well in the world...even if we are having torrential downpours out side right now!

The Danger Zone:

Listening to Johnny Cash right now on Amazon Music. Man does Amazon make it super easy to listen to just about anything! Anyway...is there any greater remake than "Hurt?" I mean..I think "The Downward Spiral" by Nine Inch nails is likely a top 50 album of all time and I really like Trent Reznor's version just fine. But Johnny Cash's version? I can "see" the pain in his song! Man is it so good! And if "Hurt" is the best remake..."The Man Comes Around" might be his magnum opus! The last song he wrote before his death...it is almost prophetic. I mean...the man wrote the song inspired by a dream he had of Queen Elizabeth II comparing him to a "thorn tree in a whirlwind!" Man that is some good stuff!

Have another fact finding interview today for a case I am trying to finish up. Have to go to the Superdome for this one in New Orleans. That means I will be eating good for lunch! I have some favorite spots in New Orleans that I like to go! New Orleans is an incredible culinary destination. Not kidding you...drive there...and park ANYWHERE. Throw a stone...and within 50 feet you will find an establishment that will likely serve you the best food you have ever had. Just so good!

Wife went back to the doc yesterday. Turns out she was running a fever when she got there. Diagnosed with an ear infection and a sinus infection. Doc is being more agressive in treatment now. So hopefully the wife will feel better soon.

Well it's Friday Cadre! And the Weekend is upon us! Get through the day and rejoice! But sometime today...take a hold of your loved ones, hold them tight, and tell them you love them!

Back