The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

The Danger Zone:

The saga that is my Air Conditioning Unit!

Okay...the good stuff first. My AC Unit works. 🙂

The bad stuff second...we are getting our air handler replaced. :mad:

So I am going to briefly give a history and then explain what is going on.

The wife and I bought our current house in October of 2013. It was new construction but we had an inspection done anyway. The inspector told us that he did not think the air coming out was cool enough. So we contacted the builder/seller and they had their AC people come out and check it. Of course nothing was wrong.

Summer of 2014 the AC isn't keeping up with the temps. The coldest we can get the house is 76. AC guy (same people that did the install because the AC is still under warranty at this point) comes out...can't figure out what is wrong and basically say that because it is Friday he "can't" get any more parts and the repair will have to wait until Monday when his boss came come and take a look. Monday comes around and a team of technicians are at our house trying to decided what is wrong. They replace a blower motor. Still not working right. A couple weeks later, they replace the evaporator coils. Still not working right. A week later they replace the condenser because evidently there is a little crack in it. Still not working right. They replace a piston. Yup...that must have been it...because the AC was working properly after that. So basically we have almost an entirely new AC unit.

Summer of 2017 the AC froze up. Same HVAC company came out because the unit is still under warranty. Although...at this point we have to pay for labor costs. The blower motor is fried. So the blower motor is replaced. We pay $300 in labor costs (might have been more, but my memory is foggy), and the AC works again.

A couple months later the unit is out of warranty and now my wife is paranoid. In most parts of the country if you lose your AC, you just open a window. But with the high humidity and high heat in Southern Louisiana it makes it difficult. And yes...people die here sometimes from the heat. Anyway...the wife is paranoid and we are religious about getting the unit serviced.

Then Thursday happened. We have been with a different company after the unit came off of warranty. It's a guy that doesn't seem to be jerking us around and is very up front with things. He has great reviews and he is willing to explain everything to us. My wife was on the phone with him for 20 minutes yesterday. I mean...who does that anymore! I trust him about as much as you can for someone who comes out and repairs your home.

So the verdict? Blower motor is fried again.

So this is what was explained to us and it seems accurate from what we can tell from our own research. The AC unit that we have was the first model or iteration of a high efficiency AC unit that Carrier (our brand) made. Evidently is had some serious issues that were kind of corrected but still had issues. He also said...okay...he didn't out right say it, but I can read between the lines...he said that basically we had a bad install when the house was built.

He gave us two solutions...

1. We can replace the blower motor for just under $1,000.00. But he reminded us that this would be the third blower motor it would have...and it appears that the life expectancy on that part is two to three years.

2. We can replace the handler. Basically getting a new AC unit. He recommended two that he believes are really good handlers and are not the most expensive. One is a Reem for $3600.00 (installed) and the other is an American Standard for $3900.00 (installed). Each comes with a 10 year warranty.

So the decision now is what to do. Pay the grand and hope that it works. Or shell out the larger amount but have the satisfaction knowing that the next ten years if something goes wrong we won't have to come out of pocket.

In the end...we opted for a new handler. It definitely isn't fun...and it's going to tighten the finances a bit for a while. But We think having that peace of mind will be worth it.

So right now...he was able to plug the blower motor into another speed and get the AC working again. But he said there is no telling how long it will work. We are praying that it keeps plugging away until next Thursday when we have our install.

The Danger Zone:

The saga that is my Air Conditioning Unit!

Okay...the good stuff first. My AC Unit works. 🙂

The bad stuff second...we are getting our air handler replaced. :mad:

So I am going to briefly give a history and then explain what is going on.

The wife and I bought our current house in October of 2013. It was new construction but we had an inspection done anyway. The inspector told us that he did not think the air coming out was cool enough. So we contacted the builder/seller and they had their AC people come out and check it. Of course nothing was wrong.

Summer of 2014 the AC isn't keeping up with the temps. The coldest we can get the house is 76. AC guy (same people that did the install because the AC is still under warranty at this point) comes out...can't figure out what is wrong and basically say that because it is Friday he "can't" get any more parts and the repair will have to wait until Monday when his boss came come and take a look. Monday comes around and a team of technicians are at our house trying to decided what is wrong. They replace a blower motor. Still not working right. A couple weeks later, they replace the evaporator coils. Still not working right. A week later they replace the condenser because evidently there is a little crack in it. Still not working right. They replace a piston. Yup...that must have been it...because the AC was working properly after that. So basically we have almost an entirely new AC unit.

Summer of 2017 the AC froze up. Same HVAC company came out because the unit is still under warranty. Although...at this point we have to pay for labor costs. The blower motor is fried. So the blower motor is replaced. We pay $300 in labor costs (might have been more, but my memory is foggy), and the AC works again.

A couple months later the unit is out of warranty and now my wife is paranoid. In most parts of the country if you lose your AC, you just open a window. But with the high humidity and high heat in Southern Louisiana it makes it difficult. And yes...people die here sometimes from the heat. Anyway...the wife is paranoid and we are religious about getting the unit serviced.

Then Thursday happened. We have been with a different company after the unit came off of warranty. It's a guy that doesn't seem to be jerking us around and is very up front with things. He has great reviews and he is willing to explain everything to us. My wife was on the phone with him for 20 minutes yesterday. I mean...who does that anymore! I trust him about as much as you can for someone who comes out and repairs your home.

So the verdict? Blower motor is fried again.

So this is what was explained to us and it seems accurate from what we can tell from our own research. The AC unit that we have was the first model or iteration of a high efficiency AC unit that Carrier (our brand) made. Evidently is had some serious issues that were kind of corrected but still had issues. He also said...okay...he didn't out right say it, but I can read between the lines...he said that basically we had a bad install when the house was built.

He gave us two solutions...

1. We can replace the blower motor for just under $1,000.00. But he reminded us that this would be the third blower motor it would have...and it appears that the life expectancy on that part is two to three years.

2. We can replace the handler. Basically getting a new AC unit. He recommended two that he believes are really good handlers and are not the most expensive. One is a Reem for $3600.00 (installed) and the other is an American Standard for $3900.00 (installed). Each comes with a 10 year warranty.

So the decision now is what to do. Pay the grand and hope that it works. Or shell out the larger amount but have the satisfaction knowing that the next ten years if something goes wrong we won't have to come out of pocket.

In the end...we opted for a new handler. It definitely isn't fun...and it's going to tighten the finances a bit for a while. But We think having that peace of mind will be worth it.

So right now...he was able to plug the blower motor into another speed and get the AC working again. But he said there is no telling how long it will work. We are praying that it keeps plugging away until next Thursday when we have our install.
We had a similar issue on our last house (was also new built) we moved in in lat Oct and didn't really need the AC till the next summer. when we turned it on it didn't cool the house, so we called when the guy came out "oops, looks like the guys who did the install forgot to charge the system." so he charged it up and it worked. Next summer, same problem but now it was, "uh oh, you system is leaking coolant from somewhere." I'm glad we don't have to mess with those guys anymore. Good luck with the new install.

Bummer about the situation, but I'm glad the new guy seems knowledgeable and honest with you.

Dang Don, that stinks! I hope this is the end of it for a good long while!

In most parts of the country if you lose your AC, you just open a window. But with the high humidity and high heat in Southern Louisiana it makes it difficult.
That’s going to be exactly us fragile Californians if we make it to MS!

You know what they say. If at first you don’t succeed... Nope. You can lead a horse to water.... Nope. Well, I don’t really know what they say about A/Cs. But it sounds like a used car and fixing it right will save money over time.

You know what they say. If at first you don’t succeed... Nope. You can lead a horse to water.... Nope. Well, I don’t really know what they say about A/Cs. But it sounds like a used car and fixing it right will save money over time.
Yup...pretty much what we thought to!

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (New Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Roasted Oatmeal Stout
Brush: TSC Member Brush the "Luca Brasi" in Finest Badger by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
The Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Peach Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Figaro - Monsieur

09302019.jpg

Well, as crappy as Friday ended, I was actually looking forward to shaving with a friend! Not not a literal friend. But any @CBLSoap.com is a friend of mine! Especially Roasted Oatmeal Stout! And with the Fall season upon us (even though the temps are not indicating) I thought that this soap would be perfect for today! A brand new Feather made quick work in my Progress of the beard I accumulated from malingering this weekend. But alas! I am clean shaven again! And super smooth at that! A quick grading of the shave at hand I give myself a DFS++...so close to BBS! There is just that pesky business of my neck. Why can't I EVER get my neck BBS? Even when I shave and shave and shave until I am sure that my neck is BBS...once the face is rinsed, witch hazel applied, and aftershave splashed or glugged...those hair follicles do a resurrection dance. Maybe it's my face's version of raising the dead for Halloween! Either way...I am feeling really good about myself right now! Some healthy splashes of Figaro Monsieur (and there will be more healthy splashes later) and skies above me just opened! Man do I smell great!

The Danger Zone:

First part of this week is going to be busy at work. Finishing up this case at work and I keep digging up new stuff. Doing fine detail stuff on the report today...I might have to make a phone call to a mayor and a president of a commission. Then tomorrow I drive three hours one way and interview some people for my case and sit in interviews with another investigator I work with. We are going to the same city so we thought we would try to be efficient. Then Wednesday I finish up everything and turn in my report.

Thursday is the day that the AC gets newly installed. The one we have right now is working...and we are hoping it stays that way.

Friday should be fun because the wife and I are going to a Miranda Lambert concert. She isn't my favorite artist, but her songs are fun and catchy. But the wife really likes her...so there is that. Either way...it should be a lot of fun.

Is Monday the breakfast of the work week? Start it off right and you have energy for the rest of the week. Okay...so maybe not so much...but just have a great one today Cadre!

Glad your AC adventures are nearing a conclusion. Still rocking the Figaro, I see. C'mon Don, man up and finish the bottle (so you can buy save money on another bottle)!

Glad your AC adventures are nearing a conclusion. Still rocking the Figaro, I see. C'mon Don, man up and finish the bottle (so you can buy save money on another bottle)!
I actually pulled the bottle out and noticed how little I have of it. I will likely be finishing it up this year sometime!

Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (New Shave)
Brush: TSC Member Brush the "Luca Brasi" in Finest Badger by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu

View attachment 9315

Well, as crappy as Friday ended, I was actually looking forward to shaving with a friend! Not not a literal friend. But any @CBLSoap.com is a friend of mine! Especially Roasted Oatmeal Stout! And with the Fall season upon us (even though the temps are not indicating) I thought that this soap would be perfect for today! A brand new Feather made quick work in my Progress of the beard I accumulated from malingering this weekend. But alas! I am clean shaven again! And super smooth at that! A quick grading of the shave at hand I give myself a DFS++...so close to BBS! There is just that pesky business of my neck. Why can't I EVER get my neck BBS? Even when I shave and shave and shave until I am sure that my neck is BBS...once the face is rinsed, witch hazel applied, and aftershave splashed or glugged...those hair follicles do a resurrection dance. Maybe it's my face's version of raising the dead for Halloween! Either way...I am feeling really good about myself right now! Some healthy splashes of Figaro Monsieur (and there will be more healthy splashes later) and skies above me just opened! Man do I smell great!

The Danger Zone:

First part of this week is going to be busy at work. Finishing up this case at work and I keep digging up new stuff. Doing fine detail stuff on the report today...I might have to make a phone call to a mayor and a president of a commission. Then tomorrow I drive three hours one way and interview some people for my case and sit in interviews with another investigator I work with. We are going to the same city so we thought we would try to be efficient. Then Wednesday I finish up everything and turn in my report.

Thursday is the day that the AC gets newly installed. The one we have right now is working...and we are hoping it stays that way.

Friday should be fun because the wife and I are going to a Miranda Lambert concert. She isn't my favorite artist, but her songs are fun and catchy. But the wife really likes her...so there is that. Either way...it should be a lot of fun.

Is Monday the breakfast of the work week? Start it off right and you have energy for the rest of the week. Okay...so maybe not so much...but just have a great one today Cadre!
I love the CBL Oatmeal Stout.

I hope there is no more surprises with the AC. A cheaper option is to move up here, they are talking about dropping down into the 30's.

Last edited:
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (2nd Shave)

10152018.jpg

Just absolutely loved the shave yesterday so much I decided to do it again! And as much as I guffed and gawed about starting October yesterday...today is ACTUALLY the start of October. This stuff whips up one of the best lathers a soap can whip up. The CBL Premium soap can handle a mistake or two when lathering also. Three passes and I am ready to greet the world! Not nearly as smooth as yesterday...but still DFS+. A healthy splash or two...or three...maybe four...of my Figaro Monsieur (just for you Bruce @Graybeard57 so I can finish this one off and get a new one...thinking of the getting the big bottle this time around...400 ml instead of that puny 100 ml: (Large Bottle) Figaro Monsieur Ambra Aftershave Splash – ItalianBarber) and I am sure this time my coworker (yes same one as last) will drop the window in under 15 minutes. Damn I smell really good right now!

The Danger Zone:

Yup I have another trip today for work and am driving about six hours round trip. My co-worker has some people to interview for her case and I have some to interview for mine. It's going to be a long day! But like I said...Damn I smell good! Right @NurseDave ?

The wife finally got back to the doc yesterday about her shoulder issues yesterday. Doc is setting up an MRI and surgery soon. She has Osteoarthritis with separation. My wife used to play hockey in high school and a lot of other sports. But it's likely that hockey was the culprit.

I hope the Cadre has a great Tuesday and kicks some serious ass!

Back