The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Super Max Platinum Plus (3rd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Sudsy Soapery - Twice Mint
Brush: TSC First Anniversary Brush in Timber Wolf Synthetic by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
The Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Peach Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Osage Rub (and probably something else)

View attachment 7506

Have to make this a quick one as I spent some time on the history lesson above. Pulled out Twice Mint for "Chill Out" week. This soap has such an intoxicating scent! It is really that good. Finished up the shave with three passes and good quality DFS+. Splashed on the Osage Rub...why? well because why not? If you want to chill out...no better way to do it than to douse yourself with some of the green stuff!

The Danger Zone:

Hope the Cadre has a good one. We are almost to the weekend...so hit it hard and finish strong!
Nice shave Don! Great pic today. History lesson was worth it!

Blade: Super Max Platinum Plus (4th Shave)
Soap/Cream: The Holy Black - Tangerine Creeper
Brush: TSC First Anniversary Brush in Timber Wolf Synthetic by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
The Ultimate Aftershave: The Holy Black - Tangerine Creeper

08162019.jpg

If my mission was to "Chill Out" today with my shave...mission accomplished...with Tangerine Creeper! I am sure all the other THB Creeper soaps and aftershaves are of the same potency...and I have to say that Tangerine Creeper is the ultimate (so far) in chilling you out! Been done with my shave for about 15 minutes now and the chill factor is going strong! From my experience...I have another half hour at this strength and then another quarter hour when the chill will creep away! Scent is really a non-factor with this set. You can sniff and whiff out of the jar and bottle and there is a very pleasant citrus scent. A little on the light side. But honestly...within a few moments the shaving or the splashing...the scent is all but gone and certainly gone within minutes. No biggie...just leaves me room to where whatever EdT, EdP, or Cologne I have in stock. The soap is pretty much top notch...but for me is seriously lacking in the Post Shave Feel/Moisturizing department. I won't say that it dries me out. But it does not give me that extra feel that I get in all the Tier 1 soaps I proclaim! Three passes and a glug or two of the aftershave...and I am sufficiently "Chilled Out!" Write it down folks...a Damn Fine Shave!

The Danger Zone:

Well...since the trip to Gettysburg, the wife and I have been talking quite a bit about history. There is a battlefield about 30-45 minutes away from our house where the longest siege in US history occurred. Sadly...it's one of these things that I know is there but for whatever reason...I have never seen. The wife and I are going to rectify that this weekend, weather permitting. The Siege of Port Hudson is described on the National Parks Service website:

"Port Hudson was the site of the longest siege in American history, lasting 48 days, when 7,500 Confederates resisted some 40,000 Union soldiers for almost two months during 1863. Realizing that control of the Mississippi River was a key military objective of the Union, the Confederacy in August 1862, had its forces erect earthworks at Port Hudson."

There is a National Cemetery there, hiking trails, and all sorts of engagements weekly.

Go Forth and Conquer wise and strong Cadre! For it is the threshold of the weekend!

I have been to Gettysburg once, and long to return and tour it properly. I've forgotten pretty much everything I've read about it, though I do recall that western PA was relieved the Confederacy was stopped there, as their next objective was Pittsburgh's armaments industry. I also recall that Lincoln was livid at Union General Meade for squandering the opportunity to chase down General Lee and his troops. It IS a somber place, with many original buildings showing damage from bullets and shells. I briefly knew some folks who lived there for a few years, but were relieved to move, as even with all its beauty, they felt as though they were "surrounded by death" as one put it.
Don, if you and your wife ever return to western PA look me up and we'll go to Soldiers and Sailors Museum in town here. They have fascinating artifacts from Gettysburg, such as lead balls in tree trunks, uniforms from that era and others, and other things. Enjoy your historical weekend journey. (y)

I have been to Gettysburg once, and long to return and tour it properly. I've forgotten pretty much everything I've read about it, though I do recall that western PA was relieved the Confederacy was stopped there, as their next objective was Pittsburgh's armaments industry. I also recall that Lincoln was livid at Union General Meade for squandering the opportunity to chase down General Lee and his troops. It IS a somber place, with many original buildings showing damage from bullets and shells. I briefly knew some folks who lived there for a few years, but were relieved to move, as even with all its beauty, they felt as though they were "surrounded by death" as one put it.
Don, if you and your wife ever return to western PA look me up and we'll go to Soldiers and Sailors Museum in town here. They have fascinating artifacts from Gettysburg, such as lead balls in tree trunks, uniforms from that era and others, and other things. Enjoy your historical weekend journey. (y)
I've been in there once. Didn't have a chance to look at most of the things there because it was for a graduation ceremony, but it looked like the type of place I could spend all week in and not get bored.

Blade: Super Max Platinum Plus (4th Shave)
Soap/Cream: The Holy Black - Tangerine Creeper
The Ultimate Aftershave: The Holy Black - Tangerine Creeper

View attachment 7529

If my mission was to "Chill Out" today with my shave...mission accomplished...with Tangerine Creeper! I am sure all the other THB Creeper soaps and aftershaves are of the same potency...and I have to say that Tangerine Creeper is the ultimate (so far) in chilling you out! Been done with my shave for about 15 minutes now and the chill factor is going strong! From my experience...I have another half hour at this strength and then another quarter hour when the chill will creep away! Scent is really a non-factor with this set. You can sniff and whiff out of the jar and bottle and there is a very pleasant citrus scent. A little on the light side. But honestly...within a few moments the shaving or the splashing...the scent is all but gone and certainly gone within minutes. No biggie...just leaves me room to where whatever EdT, EdP, or Cologne I have in stock. The soap is pretty much top notch...but for me is seriously lacking in the Post Shave Feel/Moisturizing department. I won't say that it dries me out. But it does not give me that extra feel that I get in all the Tier 1 soaps I proclaim! Three passes and a glug or two of the aftershave...and I am sufficiently "Chilled Out!" Write it down folks...a Damn Fine Shave!

The Danger Zone:

Well...since the trip to Gettysburg, the wife and I have been talking quite a bit about history. There is a battlefield about 30-45 minutes away from our house where the longest siege in US history occurred. Sadly...it's one of these things that I know is there but for whatever reason...I have never seen. The wife and I are going to rectify that this weekend, weather permitting. The Siege of Port Hudson is described on the National Parks Service website:

"Port Hudson was the site of the longest siege in American history, lasting 48 days, when 7,500 Confederates resisted some 40,000 Union soldiers for almost two months during 1863. Realizing that control of the Mississippi River was a key military objective of the Union, the Confederacy in August 1862, had its forces erect earthworks at Port Hudson."

There is a National Cemetery there, hiking trails, and all sorts of engagements weekly.

Go Forth and Conquer wise and strong Cadre! For it is the threshold of the weekend!
Haven’t been able to go to any war sites like that. Neat that you have one close by! Quite a feat the site commemorates!

Very nice shave Don! And that sounds like an interesting weekend adventure.
Looking forward to it. The wife and I are leaving in a bit.

I would definitely love to see it. And you might be right about Gettysburg. I don't know if I believe in ghosts and whatnot. But at the very least I believe in energy. People are composed of a lot of energy and when one dies in such a violent fashion...that energy has to go somewhere.

I've been in there once. Didn't have a chance to look at most of the things there because it was for a graduation ceremony, but it looked like the type of place I could spend all week in and not get bored.
Maybe you, Bruce, and myself need to check it out together!

Haven’t been able to go to any war sites like that. Neat that you have one close by! Quite a feat the site commemorates!
It might be a bit of a drive for you...but the San Pasqual Battlefield looks to be very interesting. It's a Spanish-American war battlefield, but looks totally up my alley.

Great pic, Don!......Cool that you've been able to see some battlefields. And speaking of history - have you been to the National World War II Museum in New Orleans? I was able to visit it whilst on layover just the other day. Awesome!

Great pic, Don!......Cool that you've been able to see some battlefields. And speaking of history - have you been to the National World War II Museum in New Orleans? I was able to visit it whilst on layover just the other day. Awesome!

I've been a few times...and it keeps getting better every time I go! The first time I went it was still called the D-Day Museum. Then it became the WWII museum. A lot of famous people donate to the museum and it's pretty cool that Stephen Ambrose is one of the founders. It gets more artifacts each year and they are constantly expanding. My favorite history professor at LSU became the head curator some time ago so I think that is pretty awesome. There is just so much to see there and honestly...I think they do a better job than the Smithsonian for who they are. If there is a negative to it all...I think the tickets are a bit more than they should be. Active Duty gets in for half price and WWII vets get in for free. But the general public pays almost $30.00. But to be honest...it is still worth it. The place is AMAZING!

As a bonus...they are just a block or two away from my favorite coffee spot in all the world...French Truck Coffee on Magazine Street!

Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium Extra Stainless (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Mystic Water - Spice Orange Tea
Brush: Omega Pro 49
The Ultimate Aftershave: Musgo Real - Spiced Citrus

Today begins a new Soap Theme for the week and it's a good one. Honoring a TSC Artisan... @Mystic Water! I have loved Michelle's soaps almost as long as I have been wet-shaving and Mystic Water has never disappointed. Really not a lot to say that we don't know...because this stuff whips up one of the slickest lathers out there. But where it is at for me is the post shave feel. Man this stiff is great. Always making my face feel smooth and moisturized. Pulled out the Wizamet blades that @bentheduck sent me to give a whirl! So far...after one shave...these blades are super smooth! I'll reserve judgement for after a few more shaves. But right now...these blades a real good. Typical three passes and a cleanup and I am DFS++! Wanted to pair the soap with an aftershave and decided that I didn't want my typical citrus scented post shave splashes. Instead...I opted for a few splashes of my Musgo Real Spiced Citrus cologne. Honestly, this stuff smells great, but the longevity is less than some aftershaves I have...therefore I declare that the Spiced Citrus is an aftershave for the day!

The Danger Zone:

The wife and I did a quick trip to Port Hudson on Saturday. They have a small museum and hiking trails to see the different locations where Union and Confederate troops where encamped. Unfortunately, no original structures remain...but there are a lot of earth works that or marked where the different sides dug in. A lot of wild life tracks to see and @Spider would be in his glory as the woods were filled with more Golden Orb Spiders than I have ever seen before. I am not an overly huge fan of spiders in general. But it's hard to not marvel at the size of their webs and their beauty. Some of these spiders were as large as my hands! Magnificent creatures that generally just want to be left alone. Not venomous...just really amazing. If you don't know what I am talking about...check out the link below.

Hope the cadre gets this week started off right!

We done told you about them Wizamets! Good stuff, Don. I'll have to take a trip down there to those battlegrounds. I'm not really keen on civil war stuff, but it's good to remind myself that the world is bigger than myself.

Back