The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Well I guess that's pretty definitive, Invictus is a citrus scent. 🤪 I'm glad you thoroughly enjoyed Triumph, Don! I believe @Joe Hackett mentioned somewhere on here that Triumph will be offered in full sized soap tub and splash in the future.

Enjoy your much needed vacation!

Razor: Schick Injector (Type E)
Blade: Schick Injector Blade (5th Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Soap - Ghost Lime
Brush: TSC First Anniversary Brush in Timber Wolf Synthetic by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
The Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Peach Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Avon Island Lime

Nothing really to write home about except...that I had a really awesome shave! Well actually most of my shaves are really awesome! I had several days growth and decided to pull out the Injector that @Dave in KY graciously gave me! It is quickly becoming a favorite of mine for those days with stubborn stubble. It's "Chill Out" week for the soap and cream week and I reached for one of the CBL soaps that began it all...okay...probably not...but Ghost Lime got the call. What can I say about this soap that hasn't already been said! Three passes and a few glugs of Avon Island Lime...and all in the world is right. Came out with a DFS!

The Danger Zone:

Well it's back to the grind again. I am not really looking forward to work...but it's a necessary evil. I can already tell that there will be a stack of cases on my desk three feet high. Oh well...I guess it keeps me employed.

The two weeks of vacation were really nice. I got to see a good bit of western and southern PA...to include a trip to Gettysburg! That place is unbelievable. It's the First Civil War Battlefield that I have been to and I really was just in awe. The size and scope of that place and all the incredible working parts that became the battle...is truly amazing. I like to tell myself that I have at least a very basic understanding of battlefield tactics from my time in the Marine Corps Infantry. And this battle...on both sides...was really just amazingly complicated. It's a beautiful place...but it's a somber place too.

1565780212682.png1565780272551.png1565780343371.png1565780391003.png

Cool stuff, glad you had a good time Don. Whether it dangerous or not.
Don, what's the significance of that rock formation?
That's one of the few things I remember from going there as a kid. There was a sign there with a picture of the solider that died between two rocks because of the concussive force of an explosion vs the bomb itself.

Our kids take a trip back east with a group called the Sojourn Project. They spend a week with a lady from the civil rights movement and travel to different places learning about american history. They spend a full day at Gettysburg and have to read a book about the civil war and answer questions during the summer before their 8th grade. Pretty great program.

In Texas. We have seen the Alamo, the battlefield of San Jacinto, the Battleship Texas and the Lexington carrier. All very interesting, yet somber.

Razor: Schick Injector (Type E)
Blade: Schick Injector Blade (5th Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Soap - Ghost Lime
Brush: TSC First Anniversary Brush in Timber Wolf Synthetic by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
The Ultimate Aftershave: Avon Island Lime

Nothing really to write home about except...that I had a really awesome shave! Well actually most of my shaves are really awesome! I had several days growth and decided to pull out the Injector that @Dave in KY graciously gave me! It is quickly becoming a favorite of mine for those days with stubborn stubble. It's "Chill Out" week for the soap and cream week and I reached for one of the CBL soaps that began it all...okay...probably not...but Ghost Lime got the call. What can I say about this soap that hasn't already been said! Three passes and a few glugs of Avon Island Lime...and all in the world is right. Came out with a DFS!

The Danger Zone:

Well it's back to the grind again. I am not really looking forward to work...but it's a necessary evil. I can already tell that there will be a stack of cases on my desk three feet high. Oh well...I guess it keeps me employed.

The two weeks of vacation were really nice. I got to see a good bit of western and southern PA...to include a trip to Gettysburg! That place is unbelievable. It's the First Civil War Battlefield that I have been to and I really was just in awe. The size and scope of that place and all the incredible working parts that became the battle...is truly amazing. I like to tell myself that I have at least a very basic understanding of battlefield tactics from my time in the Marine Corps Infantry. And this battle...on both sides...was really just amazingly complicated. It's a beautiful place...but it's a somber place too.

View attachment 7453View attachment 7455View attachment 7456View attachment 7457
‘Jectah! Yes! Nice shave Don! Thanks for sharing some of your vacation with us...looks like it was a great time.

Don, what's the significance of that rock formation?
I meant to respond yesterday KJ but was really busy at work.

The rock formation is called Devils Den. It was actually named that before the Civil War because of a poisonous snake that dwelled there and the locals called it the "Devil." I have the ground shot of Devil's Den and the over head pic of it also from the top of "Little Round Top." Someone with a bit more knowledge correct me if I am wrong...but in a nut shell...Union Soldiers...specifically the Signal Corps and the 20th Main Volunteers...it was also the Union left flank...was on top of Little Round Top (from where the overhead pic was taken...I'll post a pic of Little Round Top in a few). Confederat units were positioned at Devil's Den and were attacking the Union Flank. Pretty much everything in between is called the "Slaughter Pen" for obvious reasons. Specifically at Devil's Den there about 800 Union casualties and 1,800 Confederate. At Little Round Top, about 600 Union and 1,200 Confederate. I don't know if losses were assigned to the Slaughter Pen or not.

View of Little Round Top from Devil's Den
1565868818959.png

A couple of pics on top of Little Round Top

1565868899023.png1565868938474.png1565868974542.png1565869038113.png

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Super Max Platinum Plus (3rd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Sudsy Soapery - Twice Mint
The Ultimate Aftershave: Osage Rub (and probably something else)

04162019.jpg

Have to make this a quick one as I spent some time on the history lesson above. Pulled out Twice Mint for "Chill Out" week. This soap has such an intoxicating scent! It is really that good. Finished up the shave with three passes and good quality DFS+. Splashed on the Osage Rub...why? well because why not? If you want to chill out...no better way to do it than to douse yourself with some of the green stuff!

The Danger Zone:

Hope the Cadre has a good one. We are almost to the weekend...so hit it hard and finish strong!

Back