The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

What’s up with the Michigan patio decor?? Just curious, that’s where I’m from.

All caught up Don!

First thanks for sharing during Remembrance Week. Very cool. Also, thanks for recommending that podcast with the Neil Gaiman interview. I finally listened to it and it was pretty awesome. He's such an interesting guy.

Hope all that flood water didn't do too much damage. If you do decide to relocate up north, you can always come up my way and become a Phillies fan....🤪

All caught up Don!

First thanks for sharing during Remembrance Week. Very cool. Also, thanks for recommending that podcast with the Neil Gaiman interview. I finally listened to it and it was pretty awesome. He's such an interesting guy.

Hope all that flood water didn't do too much damage. If you do decide to relocate up north, you can always come up my way and become a Phillies fan....🤪
No no.... that's the wrong side of the state. Pittsburgh all the way! :p

I think the fact that you might be a Pirates fan is the easiest to take out of the 3 major teams you would be rooting for out there 😂😂😂
Honestly, I couldn't tell you what any of the teams are doing these days. Stopped watching pro foot ball a looong time ago, no baseball since listening on the radio with my grandpa when I was a kid ( and that's been a few weeks ago....), and haven't watched hockey in a few years. I did root for the Steelers back when they had the steel curtain if that gives you any idea of how long it's been. The boss was a Sabres fan and I rooted for the Pens, so that got interesting. :LOL:

Those "au naturale" backyard pool pics are just yucky. I wouldn't be able to cope living in an area prone to severe weather events of any sort.

All caught up Don!

No no.... that's the wrong side of the state. Pittsburgh all the way! :p

Wrong side of the state? Try the wrong state. I thought Philadelphia was in New Jersey? Well it might as well be anyway. Ain't no way I am living in the Garden State with Snookie and the Situation!

And Charlotte...That Neil Gaiman interview might be the best one I have heard...like ever! I really liked it a lot!

Those "au naturale" backyard pool pics are just yucky. I wouldn't be able to cope living in an area prone to severe weather events of any sort.

The funny thing is...up until recently, there has never been an issue. Katrina was really an anomaly. Had it not been for the colossal fail of the 17th Street canal levee, Katrina would have just been a bad hurricane and nothing other than normal storm damage would have occurred. But since then, we have had some bad hurricanes, but they didn't leave damage like that. In 2016 they called it a 1,000 year flood. And said that because a no named storm dumped about 30 inches of rain in about 36 hours, that there was less of a 1% chance of that happening again. No this last bout of rain wan't anything like 2016. But it did dump about 10 inches of rain in the day...six inches in about 90 minutes or so. I get it. It's hard for any drainage system to keep up with that. But if I had to guess...and it's only a guess...this recent incident happened because of three things. The biggest contributor would have to be the exponential growth of the little city I live in and the huge build up of residential communities and commercial businesses. A lot of concrete and a lot of barriers to create runoff that is faster and more voluminous so the rivers and streams can't handle that kind of flow. Secondly, the drainage infrastructure is still the same infrastructure before the population growth. And last, drains, ditches, canals, and so forth, have not been properly maintained after the 2016 flood. In fact, this is such an area of contention that FEMA, who cage our Parish government monies specifically for this have been threatening to take it away because they are not using it properly or fast enough.

But yes Sam...I would really love to live in a place that doesn't have the number of events that we do here. The old ticker is starting to feel the wear and tear of these stresses. The wife asked me the other day of what I thought about Knoxville Tennessee. I asked her, "when do I pack my bags?"

The funny thing is...up until recently, there has never been an issue. Katrina was really an anomaly. Had it not been for the colossal fail of the 17th Street canal levee, Katrina would have just been a bad hurricane and nothing other than normal storm damage would have occurred. But since then, we have had some bad hurricanes, but they didn't leave damage like that. In 2016 they called it a 1,000 year flood. And said that because a no named storm dumped about 30 inches of rain in about 36 hours, that there was less of a 1% chance of that happening again. No this last bout of rain wan't anything like 2016. But it did dump about 10 inches of rain in the day...six inches in about 90 minutes or so. I get it. It's hard for any drainage system to keep up with that. But if I had to guess...and it's only a guess...this recent incident happened because of three things. The biggest contributor would have to be the exponential growth of the little city I live in and the huge build up of residential communities and commercial businesses. A lot of concrete and a lot of barriers to create runoff that is faster and more voluminous so the rivers and streams can't handle that kind of flow. Secondly, the drainage infrastructure is still the same infrastructure before the population growth. And last, drains, ditches, canals, and so forth, have not been properly maintained after the 2016 flood. In fact, this is such an area of contention that FEMA, who cage our Parish government monies specifically for this have been threatening to take it away because they are not using it properly or fast enough.

But yes Sam...I would really love to live in a place that doesn't have the number of events that we do here. The old ticker is starting to feel the wear and tear of these stresses. The wife asked me the other day of what I thought about Knoxville Tennessee. I asked her, "when do I pack my bags?"
I can find you nice place here, you'd be surprised with prices:)

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Gillette Sharp Edge (Yellow?) (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: PannaCrema - Ebano
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Fine Accouterments - American Blend
Eau de Toilette - Fine Accouterments - American Blend

Catching up for my absenteeism in the soap theme, I thought I would go back and shave with "E." Went with PannaCrema Ebano. PannaCrema was one of my first loves in the shaving world. While PannaCrema doesn't make this tallow line anymore, I think they have similar tallow version called Pure2O. I was one of few, if there are any others at all, who actually preferred PCs more inexpensive line to their luxury brand of Nuavia. Though I have to admit...that the scents in the tallow line could not compete with the Nuavia scents. The Nuavia scents were just luxurious and rich smelling! Ebano is a lightly wooded scent with a touch of sweetness to it. It's very subtle. So it pretty much won't interfere with most scents. Performance isn't as good as the new soap makers on the scene. But it's pretty darn good. At one time I would have told you this was a top three soap for me. But with all the great stuff coming out right now...PC Ebano would likely rank somewhere as a high two. Still love this soap though...as I said...it was one of my first loves in shaving. Three passes and a little cleanup have me feeling right and smooth for my Monday morning. A couple glugs of American Blend man do I feel good. Once I put the work clothes on, it will be all business. But a few more spritzes of the EdT of the same name and it's on like Michelle Kwan!

The Danger Zone:

The weekend was very productive. Did some yard work and some house work. Grilled a couple of steaks for the father in law and all was pleasant. Off to the grind today...again...but I have work to do and I should be able to accomplish the task at hand.

Hope the cadre starts their week off great with an awesome shave! Go get it Tigers!

Good to have you back, Don! Nice description on your soap choice for today. I didn't even know that scent existed. Nuavia Blue is on my list of expensive soaps to buy when I win the lottery. Geaux have a great day!

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Gillette Sharp Edge (Yellow?) (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap
Brush: TSC First Anniversary Brush by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
The AntePenultimate Aftershave: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel
The Penultimate Aftershave: A&E Post Shave Serum No. 3
The Ultimate Aftershave: Avon - Island Lime

Next letter that I missed in the soap themes was the letter "G." So I had to go with Ghost Lime! Just really live this soap. A nice cool way to start off the day. I went ahead and just did a two passer today because I was still pretty close from yesterday. The shave is okay...but not really that smooth. Oh well. The great thing there is about shaving is that there is always tomorrow...or tonight.

The Danger Zone:

Thanks again all for following along. I know my journal gets a little repetitive sometimes. But I do try to make it as interesting as I can.

A quick side note. We are two months away from the start of the College Football season! Super excited for my LSU Tigers this year. Maybe this is the year they can finally beat Alabama. I mean...we have only lost to them the last eight times...10 of the last 12. But if you look at the last 20 games...it hasn't been that bad. LSU has beaten them nine times. But maybe this is the year... :sneaky: .

Anyway...I mention this because I plan on doing my College Football Giveaway again. I just want you all to be aware and to get ready for it. The format will be a little different this year and maybe some rule changes. I will likely have a third party host it as I spent a great deal of time last season getting the games together. Either way...it will be a lot of fun!

It's Tuesday Cadre and it's time to make the doughnuts! I hope your day will be a fantastic one!

Back