The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Sad, there’s a lot of loss that seems unnecessary

I have to agree. I was looking back at all the people I knew who are not with us today. Sure...My Uncle Bud was aging. He might have left this life earlier than I would have liked...but he left of natural causes. Kim Evans died way too early, as well as Darren Ledet. Could their departure have been avoided? Maybe in some way...maybe not. But I look back and I know of four people who served in the military who took their own lives. While I think mental health care has gotten a whole lot better than it was 40 years ago...we need to do better. I definitely don't have an answer for it, except that to always be receptive to friendships or understanding that people deal in various ways. But four people in my life that committed suicide from the military is unacceptable.

Gone but not forgotten. Sorry to hear of your fellow soldiers leaving this earth prematurely. So many people suffer from depression and other demons that this has become a big problem these days and needs to be adressed. Im sure they would be proud that someone could learn from their mistakes and perhaps not make the same decisions.

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Lion Hi Stainless (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Ariana & Evans - A Cold Day In Hell 2
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Ariana & Evans - A Cold Day In Hell 2

It's June...and a new week for the soap themes. This week and next we are doing the ABC theme. Meaning each day is a new letter of the alphabet and we try to relate r correspond our soaps/creams to that letter. It is very subjective so relating some of these letters might be pretty interesting.

Today's letter starts it off. We are relating our shaves to the letter "A." Thus...I used...A Cold Day in Hell 2 by Ariana & Evans. One of my favorite soap makers and one of my favorite soap scents. It is VERY complex as far as the scent goes and is right up my alley. And by complex I mean the scent notes are as follows: anise, black pepper, lavender, jasmine, midnight lotus, coffee, cannabis, juniper, vanilla, oakmoss and sandalwood . There is a lot going on but it all comes together.

The shave was excellent despite my hesitation with the blade . I was looking for something new to use in the blade department and found the Lion Hi Stainless at the bottom of my razor bowl. I think I vaguely heard of it before but decided to throw caution to the wind and placed it in my razor. Let me say, after one shave I am kind of impressed. I was expecting garbage and may have found a diamond in the rough. Everything went extremely well. Three passes and a cleanup and I am my typical DFS+. But there is a caveat. When I finished my shave...I noticed probably about five or six really tiny weepers on my neck. That was disappointing...but to be honest...I didn't feel anything and still don't. I am still calling it a win.

The Danger Zone:

The weekend came and gone and I survived hell week at work for the most part. I have another busy week this week, but I am hoping that translates into less stress at the end of the month. Did some yard work this weekend and man is it getting hot out there. Temps staying around 93 or 94, but the relative temp said it felt like 101 or 102. Yeah...it might be hotter else where...but that is still hot. We have rain toward the end of the week so I might have to try to mow the yard on Tuesday or Wed just to keep it down, because I am unsure when I will be able to cut it again!

Hope the Cadre starts their week off with a hop in the giddy-up!

Strong work with the shave and at work, Don! I think my corner got up to 90 with the gulf breeze cooling us off a bit.

Don thanks for posting the remembrance shaves, I enjoyed reading them while on vacation and even read them to my wife.

Glad the end of the month passed without serious incident! We have a few 90s days this week as well...unpleasant to say the least!

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Lion Hi Stainless (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Ballenclaugh - Honey and Tobacco
Brush: Stirling 24mm Fan Finest Badger
Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Figaro Monsieur

Second day of the ABC soap theme and can you guess what the letter of the is? That's right boys and girls...today's shave is brought to you by the Letter "B!" Okay, but really, today is "B" day. So I reached for my Ballenclaugh Honey and Tobacco. It might be a little warm for this soap...but does it really matter? I love the scent so much I would wear it year round...and I do. Really just went for a two pass shave today and I am kind of regretting it now. The corners of my jaw where it meets my ear feel like medium grit sandpaper. As well as the low spots on my neck. I was kind of impressed yesterday with this blade...but I am thinking now it is more of a one and done kind of blade. No biggie...my favorite part of the shave is coming up. I didn't just splash myself with the Figaro Monsieur, I dowsed myself. I poured several glugs (I lost track of exactly how many) of that wonderful aftershave into my hands and commenced with a second shower of the morning. Going to work, will I be THAT guy? You betcha!

The Danger Zone:

Work yesterday was busier than expected, but very productive. Today and tomorrow are going to be the same. Not sure if this month will be less busy than last month at all actually. But it should be all at the beginning of the month and hopefully I won't be scrambling to to get a report in on the last day or so. Either way...I will be smelling great this week!

Hope the second day of the work week is productive and full of the kicking of arse! Happy Tuesday Cadre!

Gave you a 😍 for the Figero dosage.

I'm very curious, how does that canabis note work in A Cold Day in Hell 2. Have to admit that put me off to that one, I smell enough of it walking through the park next to our flat.

Back