The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Gave you a 😍 for the Figero dosage.

I'm very curious, how does that canabis note work in A Cold Day in Hell 2. Have to admit that put me off to that one, I smell enough of it walking through the park next to our flat.

To be honest I don't smell the cannabis at all. If I have to describe it...it would be a scent that is VERY warm and complex that is heavy on sandalwood and some spice. Despite the name, there are no cooling agents in this.

To be honest I don't smell the cannabis at all. If I have to describe it...it would be a scent that is VERY warm and complex that is heavy on sandalwood and some spice. Despite the name, there are no cooling agents in this.

There's the whole problem with most scent descriptions, that actually sounds fantastic.

There's the whole problem with most scent descriptions, that actually sounds fantastic.

It is a very nice scent in my opinion...but like I said...it is a VERY warm scent.

I know some people want a qualitative scent description, and others want something a little more subjective. Personally, I want both. I want to know what the individual scents that are added to it...but I also want a description that paints a picture in a way.

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Voskhod (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Ariana & Evans - Choco Cubano
Brush: TSC Memeber Brush, the "Luca Brasi" in Finest Badger by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Ariana & Evans - Choco Cubano

And Today's Shave is brought to by the Letter C. So I pulled out the double "C" named soap in Choco Cubano! Well I guess there are technically three Cs in that...but who's counting? Am I right? Or am I right? I'm right, I'm right, I'm right, ,I'm right. Don't mind me...it's the coffee talking. C, there's another C. C what I did there? 🤪

Okay...C-eriously...

Anyway...Love this soap and love this scent. A&E provides the scent notes of Bergamot, Tangerine, Vanilla, Fig, Chocolate truffle, Incense, Cedar, Sandalwood and Tobacco. My wife says it smells like Easter candy. Personally, I feel like I should be listening to the Buena Vista Social Club in an intimate setting and drinking a mojito and maybe smoking a stubby cigar or something! It's just a real nice sweet tobacco leaf scent and is heavy on the chocolate and vanilla. The fruit...while I can't exactly pick out the fig or citrus exactly, brings a bit of brightness to the scent. It's not a dark scent at all. At least to me it's not.

Three passes and nice cleanup...and I am back to a DFS+. Several glugs of the same named aftershave (that ads a nice moisturizing effect to the shave) and my wife will be cracking Easter candy jokes this morning. Really though...I smell great and thus I feel really good about myself today!

The Danger Zone:

I'm glad I feel great about myself today...because I have to go interview a couple people today, and I have a feeling that this might be one be a bit adversarial in nature. No worries though...I have my questioning plan all drawn up and all is well!

I hope the Cadre is doing well today! Relax all...it's humpday and we will be on the downswing of things very soon!

Don't forget to sit far enough away from them so you can use the "Don't make me come over there!" when they are cooperating.

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Voskhod (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Ghost Dragon's Blood
Brush: TSC 1st Anniversary Brush, in Timber Wolf Synthetic by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Suavecito Premium Blends Whiskey Bar

What comes after C? Well D of course...duh! I was searching my stores of soaps looking for something to relate to the Letter D. I was looking high and low and nothing was coming to me. Then it hit me, "Don...what an idiot you are!" Of course...one of my favorite scents in one of my favorite formulations! CBL Ghost Dragon's Blood! Pretty typical shave today. I mean typical if your definition of typical is AWESOME! Really though...it was a pretty decent shave...all the good qualities of this soap are there. I won't go into them today because we all sing the praises of @CBLSoap.com.

Finished off the shave with the Whiskey Bar Aftershave by Suavecito. The AS is pretty decent. The scent goes well with the Dragon's Blood. But it doesn't last all that long. So I will be stinking myself up with several vasillis or a few glugs of an EdT, Cologne, or EdP this morning. Haven't decided on what however.

The Danger Zone:

Not much to report on the home front today. Just the same old, same old. Have to go to work and hammer out some investigations today. I have one that isn't all that hard as far as investigation concepts go. But there is a lot of documents to review and a lot of people to interview. So it is just going to take some time. Trying to get ahead this month so I can get on a workable pace starting next month. But sometimes these things take a few months to develop.

Anyway...Hope the Cadre has a wonderful Thursday. Mine is a rainy one, but that won't keep me down! We are almost there Cadre! Keep at it and the weekend is ours!

Last edited:
Wow! The past few days have been a bit crazy. I really don't want to go into extreme detail, but here is what happened.

A little back story for those who don't know. In 2016 in the area I live in just outside Baton Rouge, we experienced an unprecedented event. We had a storm that covered most of the state of Louisiana and just kind of stalled over us. We had about 30 inches of rain in about 36 hours. To give you an idea...this no named storm dumped about three times the rain as Hurricane Katrina did in 2005. Needless to say...almost 150,000 homes in southern Louisiana flooded. Mine was one of them. We had between five and four feet of water in our house. If want to read more about the nuts an bolts of it...here is a link: 2016 Louisiana floods - Wikipedia

Fast forward to Thursday. I got in my Truck and drove to work like any other Thursday. I work in the Downtown Baton Rouge area which sits right on the Mississippi River. It also has the best drainage system in the area. When I got downtown...there was a bout two feet of water in the roads and some of the buildings had water in them. The roads were all blocked with cars that couldn't move or were flooded out. I called my boss and he said to go home. Don't have to tell me twice.

When I got home everything was good for a while. Another thing to note is that in my subdivision (and believe me...I didn't plan it this way), my mother and my in-laws live here also. Went to check on my in-laws and quickly realized that something was wrong. They have a pretty large back yard for a subdivision and there back yard does have a pretty steep grade for a yard. My mother's house is the same way. But yeah, what I saw gave me immediate flash backs to 2016. The water was rising and was up to the patio of my in-laws house. I ran over to my mother's house (she wasn't home) and the situation was much the same except that her water was half way up her patio. I watched the water for a few moments and realized that while it was moving slowly...it was still moving. I began to move important things to her attic, and try to find high places for other things. When I was done with that...the water had approached the foundation of the house. I was in complete freak out mode.

I went to my house and we were dry and had no indication of flooding. But that was what happened last time to. All the water we received from the storm couldn't drain out into the rivers and streams and so it washed back. I was very concerned that this was going to happen again. The was packing clothes in backpacks and getting the dogs ready while I was tending to her parents and my home. the problem is our subdivision only has one way in and one way out...and it had about three feet of water on it. So we had to wait.

In the end all was well. Everything drained and the sun came out and today I have to mow my yard like nothing ever happened. But I tell you what. My wife and I are now having serious conversations if we want to live here anymore or not. I understand, no matter where you go, there is always going to be an issue. Weather patterns are changing...call it El Nino, call it climate change, call it global warming, or just believe it is cyclical weather patterns. The weather is changing. There are places that have seen weather patterns that they haven't seen historically. Plus the build up of residential and commercial construction contributes to incredible run-off. Either way...my wife and I are talking about where we should move or not. It will really depend on her ability to find a job or not. Since she is the one that has to be licensed in a state. And taking the Bar Exam is no easy task.

Anyway...all is well. We took Friday and Yesterday to kind of regroup and relax. Finally got to see Avengers: End Game yesterday and that was a good three hours thinking on nothing.

Anyway...I missed a few shaves in the soap themes. I will try to make those up in the Free Week. Posting a couple pics of the back yards...and just to give you a reference...on both of those yards...those are eight foot pickets on the back fence. Oh...and according to the weather dud on TV...on Thursday, we received about 10 inches of rain that day...Eight of the inches was received in about the span of an hour and a half. Now that is just crazy!

Wow, that’s nuts. Can’t blame you for not wanting to deal with that over and over. Not to mention water damage obviously doesn’t just dry out and you move on. Agree 100% these storms and record highs and lows aren’t just random variation any more.

Wow, that’s nuts. Can’t blame you for not wanting to deal with that over and over. Not to mention water damage obviously doesn’t just dry out and you move on. Agree 100% these storms and record highs and lows aren’t just random variation any more.
Thanks for the comment Dave. We have a big drainage issue where I live. And the local government isn't doing everything they can. That and the money the Feds are given to them isn't being used timely. I am likely to go sit in a few board meetings for the drainage district and the Parish Government. This month.

I get that it was a lot of rain that came down in a short time and all the drainage was overwhelmed. But that kind of flooding didn't happen in 2016...well until all the back water came flooding back in. Things just don't add up.

Glad to hear that didn't get any worse Don. You move back up this way though, and I'm going to make you visit and swing a hammer for me. :p

Glad to hear that didn't get any worse Don. You move back up this way though, and I'm going to make you visit and swing a hammer for me. :p

You joke...but I would love to move somewhere near the wife's old stomping grounds. That would be almost a dream for me. Somewhere in rural PA where I can live on even just a couple of acres. I am find up with the south for a lot of social economical reasons. And obviously, for weather reasons. Yeah, I know there is a lot of snow and long winters your way...I think I can deal with it. I have lived in snow before. It will be an adjustment...but I could do it.

Speaking of flooding...I have seen some serious problems up your way...and weren't you just looking for manatees to mow your yard? That being said...I would love to swing a hammer for you! Maybe you can whip me into being a real man! 🤪

I wasn't joking, I'll make you swing a hammer at some hot steel for sure. :LOL:

Yeah, my yard was wet, but not that bad. More of the spongy wet for weeks on end type of wet. This weekend has been sunny. Weather guy said the first one in 11 weeks. Thing is though, there are very few places in PA that are flat, so not a lot of bad flooding for the most part unless you are in the bottom of a valley.

Serious problem. We had floods few days ago, and they're becoming regular thing. I'm in a place where that can't happen, but last year we had that extreme hailstorm. So it's hard to be safe, you only get to choose what is your preferable problem. For me personaly everything is better that floods. Hope you'll make smart decision. The one that will give you nice sleep!

Back