The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Thanks for sharing the stories @dangerousdon. I didn't realize you were USMC.

My family was a Navy family. Grandfather was Chief, radio operator on a Destroyer in WWII. His ship was hit by a kamikaze near Leyte Gulf. He survived but lost a lot of friends. He often told me they'd pick up Marines to transport them.

My dad was UDT/SEAL in Vietnam. Sadly he had PTSD after his first tour, and it broke the family up. Of course back then, it wasn't even acknowledged. PTSD can be very tragic indeed. Sorry to hear about your friend.

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (3rd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Wholly Kaw - Agrumi in Estate
Brush: TSC First Anniversary Brush
Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Wholly Kaw - Agrumi in Estate

A quick one today ladies and gents...not because I am short on time...but I get unusually sad when I think about Kim. I served with Navy Commander Kimberly Evans over in Afghanistan. She was one of the smartest, bravest, and strongest women I knew. Kim took over the post that I was located at in Afghanistan and had to overcome many obstacles while she was there. One by one, she overcame them. Kim was a kindhearted person that knew exactly when to use her might. I remember her most in times like the picture above. Always caring and wanting to help people. But I also remember her during hard times like when the governor of the province we were located at was ousted and riots ensued all over the city. She was cool, calm, collected, and forceful in her direction. A real hero in my books. Kim ended up with breast cancer and took the treatments like the strong as woman she was. She even improved with the chemo and other treatments. But she ended up with an infection...and dies from complications from it. Another Military Hero that is now drinking in the Halls of Valhalla. She may not have died in combat so to speak...but her war with cancer was real. Thinking about today Kim!

Nice shave Don but an even better remembrance read !! Think positive thoughts throughout the day to stay positive. Reflection and remembrance is very good but too much can affect and impact you negatively.(offered respectfully) Take care !!

Thanks for sharing the stories @dangerousdon. I didn't realize you were USMC.

My family was a Navy family. Grandfather was Chief, radio operator on a Destroyer in WWII. His ship was hit by a kamikaze near Leyte Gulf. He survived but lost a lot of friends. He often told me they'd pick up Marines to transport them.

My dad was UDT/SEAL in Vietnam. Sadly he had PTSD after his first tour, and it broke the family up. Of course back then, it wasn't even acknowledged. PTSD can be very tragic indeed. Sorry to hear about your friend.

Well, my military career can be a little confusing to follow.

I initially joined the Marine Corps and did a bunch of deployments, saw a lot of things, and did a lot of cool stuff. But that was the 90s and never really did anything combat related. When I got out I kind of floated around in life for a couple of years and then decided that I wanted to get my degree. At the time, if you joined the Louisiana National Guard, you received tuition exemption from state colleges and universities. So my theory was to join the National Guard and get free school and live off my GI Bill. So, I joined the Army National Guard. I was in it for almost two years when this little thing called 9/11 happened. Then Iraq. So my plan got a little side tracked. Anyway...so yeah...I served in both the Marine Corps and the Army.

My heart breaks for those guys in Vietnam. It is like our country turned our backs on them. And PTSD was such a huge thing...but nobody really knew what it was...or probaly more accurate...didn't want to deal with it. I still don't think the system does enough with our guys who have PTSD, but it's a lot better than it was during the 60s and 70s.

You have a strong military history in your family.

Nice shave Don but an even better remembrance read !! Think positive thoughts throughout the day to stay positive. Reflection and remembrance is very good but too much can affect and impact you negatively.(offered respectfully) Take care !!
Thanks Dave! I appreciate the advise. I know my limits when it comes to things like this. I have my moment of melancholy and then I am right back in the day. I have a couple others I want to share...but I may just wrap it all into one tomorrow.

Thanks Dave! I appreciate the advise. I know my limits when it comes to things like this. I have my moment of melancholy and then I am right back in the day. I have a couple others I want to share...but I may just wrap it all into one tomorrow.
Don't change your plans based on my comments. Just don't want you dropping into a funk. You know what you can handle Buddy ;)

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (4th Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL - Sandalwood, Jasmine, Leather, Cedar, and Rose
Brush: TSC First Anniversary Brush
Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Sudsy Soapery with Chatillon Lux - Lemon Rose Chypre

I was going to do anther remembrance of some fallen comrades yesterday and today. But I don't think my heart can take it if I write out a long story. So just a quick glance at some heroes of mine that left this life way too soon.

Larry Slobodzian - I was room mate with Larry in the Marine Corps for the better part of two years. We remained friends for a while after I got out and then drifted away. We reconnected on Facebook about 15 years ago or so. In 2012 I was in his neck of the woods for a work conference and we had a nice visit over dinner. A couple years ago his family came to New Orleans and I was going to visit with him again. And something came up (I look back now and and the reason seems trivial) and I couldn't go. A year later I learned that he had committed suicide. To this day, if someone says they are going to be anywhere near me...I will find a way to visit.

Kevin "Doc" Vail - A Navy Corpsman that was assigned to my unit in the Marine Corps. Doc Vail was an extremely intelligent and likable guy. Another guy you just wanted to be around. As his profession would indicate, he was incredibly selfless. Later he went on to be a counselor for the VA and continued to help many others. But a man that gave so much hid his issues so well. About eight years ago, Doc took his own life.

Major Darren Ledet - Major Ledet was one of my company commanders in the National Guard...and a man that I respected immensely! We shared a libation or two on several occasions and sort of took me under his wing in the National Guard for a time. Last year Darren had a heart attack and didn't survive. He wasn't even 50.

Darren Mullen - Another National Guard friend. Darren always had a smile on his face and reserved personality. Good at everything that was given to him and always willing to lend a hand to anyone. Darren did two tours to Kosovo (a place we don't here about our servicemen going to a lot...but it to took it's toll on may), and tour to Iraq. From what I was told...at the end, Darren was battling his demons on a lot of fronts...and a few years took his own life.

Sorry to make this a solemn post again. But I wanted to make sure I am honoring those I knew right. I had planned on doing tributes with photos and a nice writ up. But in the end my heart became too heavy. I remember these ladies and gents this week to remind me of the sacrifices they gave. While none of these died in combat directly, I can't help but think that it affected the way they lived their lives. And for at least some, influenced their decision on life. It's my duty to remember them...but it is also my duty to live the absolute best life that I can!

It's Friday and I am so glad of it. I will don my Aloha shirt for the day and continue on being the best person that I can be.

I hope the Cadre has a great weekend!

Back