The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

This would have been the appropriate ice cream after digging all that dirt.

1506df6f751b89d0e39616f57889fc48.jpg

Hang in there Don! I’ve also recently had to pickup additional house duties, so I can relate.

Man I was wore out just reading about your busy day.

Dude if I ever get back to my house for a weekend it is gonna be a brutal one. Three weekends in a row now we haven’t been home and nights very little if anything gets done. I’m scared that I will Be forced to employ neighborhood children to help me get it all done.

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Sudsy Soapery - Lavender and Peppermint
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Fine Accoutrements - Lavender Pour Homme

This week is less about me and more about the people that used to be in my life. These are men and women that I used to serve with or have served and I was fortunate enough to know. It's Memorial Day and I know this is a day reserved for remembering all those who have served and died while in service. I am extending my remembrance to those who have served and passed away. Some of these people had issues from severe PTSD. Others had personal demons they were fighting on their own. Others had cancer. All...I deeply respect and had the privileged of knowing on some level. This is my week to remember.

Travis Twiggs was from the New Orleans area. Interestingly enough...I didn't know him until I was stationed in Hawaii with the Marine Corps. When Twiggs was transferred to my unit, everyone just immediately liked the guy. He instantly became a leader in the ranks and it was clear that Twiggs possessed a type of charisma that few had. You wanted to follow Twiggs. He was just that kind of guy. I trained with him, I went out on the weekends with him, and I did many other things both because I had to and because I wanted to. I wouldn't say that I was close with him. But I would say that I was close enough to call him my friend. A few years passed and my enlistment was up. I left Hawaii and I never talked nor saw Twiggs again.

It wasn't until 2009 or thereabouts. I was talking with another Marine Corps friend that I hadn't seen in quite a while. He informed me that a year earlier Travis Twiggs took his life. My friend told me to just Google his name and I will learn everything I need to know. I did...and immediately I was heartbroken. What I learned was the Twiggs had stayed in the Marine Corps. He also served four tours in Iraq and a fifth in Afghanistan. That is five years participating in a combat zone. And not just in a combat zone...but under some of the harshest combat duty a Marine can endure. I also learned that Twiggs had severe PTSD. And from what I know...he was active in PTSD Awareness and even met Former President Bush. But what I learned next is what saddens me the most. At the end of his life, Twiggs and his brother were being pursued by police in a high speed chase in Arizona. The chase ended with Twiggs and his brother shooting themselves, thus ending their lives.

I am saddened every time I think of my friend, and wish I knew him better and wish there was something I could have done. I know that is a bit irrational...but I often wonder if things would have been any different if some small action in this life would have changed Travis' trajectory in life.

There was a movie made and last I heard it was in post production. I think it is still being shopped around to get it on TV or in the Theaters or something. It is called the Irritable Heart. Below is a link to a short trailer for it if anyone is interested. Also there is a Facebook page concerning the film. And I am also including a link to a New Yorker Article that is probably the best article out there on Twiggs' life. It's a little long...but a great read.

Anyway...thanks for enduring through this. I won't be posting much about shaving this week in my journal. One last thing...PTSD comes in all shapes and sizes. You don't have to be a service member to have it. A lot of first responders have it. People that go through traumatic events have it. If you are a service member, it's not about whether or not you were in an ambush or fire fight. But if you suspect that you have PTSD...please...please...please...just talk to someone...anyone...wife, husband, mom, dad, priest, pastor, co-worker, friend, therapist, doctor. Anyone you feel comfortable sharing with.

The Last Tour - The New Yorker

The Irritable Heart Facebook Page

A somber read, Don, but an important one. I feel for ya.
Thanks...hope someone can learn or get help from his story.

My journal this week probably won't be all that happy. Sorry guys...but I feel it's important to retell the lives of other.

Don, a sincere thank you for your service and highlighting our fallen with a week of remembrance.

In the past, my wife and I visited the VA spinal cord injury wing. Truly remarkable men and women, who deserve our utmost respect and care.

Don, a sincere thank you for your service and highlighting our fallen with a week of remembrance.

In the past, my wife and I visited the VA spinal cord injury wing. Truly remarkable men and women, who deserve our utmost respect and care.

I bet that was a very interesting a eye opening trip.

I understand and share your pain Don. I had a very close friend a bit younger than me. I watched him grow up and he became my little brother. He went off to serve and spent a few tours over-seas, but made it home. He also struggled with PTSD a bit, or so I thought. It turned out to be a lot worse than I realized. He asked me to go fly kites with him one weekend (we were both into stunt kites) but I was busy and told him I'd go another weekend. Another weekend never came....
I feel constant guilt and pain about not going to spend that time with him.

To me, every day is a memorial day for all soldiers and their families. I never forget what they went through and continue to go through when they come back.

I understand and share your pain Don. I had a very close friend a bit younger than me. I watched him grow up and he became my little brother. He went off to serve and spent a few tours over-seas, but made it home. He also struggled with PTSD a bit, or so I thought. It turned out to be a lot worse than I realized. He asked me to go fly kites with him one weekend (we were both into stunt kites) but I was busy and told him I'd go another weekend. Another weekend never came....
I feel constant guilt and pain about not going to spend that time with him.

To me, every day is a memorial day for all soldiers and their families. I never forget what they went through and continue to go through when they come back.
Thanks Shawn for sharing. And your words have an impact...and believe me...they mean more than you know.

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Wholly Kaw - Agrumi in Estate
Brush: TSC First Anniversary Brush
Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Wholly Kaw - Agrumi in Estate

I really wanted share this next fellow with you all yesterday for Memorial Day...but I was having a hard time locating this picture. The man who might have had the most influence on my decision in joining the Marine Corps...my Great Uncle Bud. I spent a good amount of time with my Uncle Bud when I was younger, but as with most children...you may have heard stories...but never quite comprehended the totality of circumstances. I wished a thousand times I could go back and ask my Uncle Bud all the questions I never got a chance to. But I am grateful I had the time I did and I am grateful I had the chance to know this real world Hero.

My Uncle Bud was a Veteran of three wars. He joined the Marine Corps when he was 17...evidently he lied about his age. Was selected for the Marine Raiders and fought in World War II. He was at Guadalcanal and Okinawa, and while I don't know for sure...I suspect he may have fought on Iwo Jima. He also fought in Korea...though I know less about that. And he also fought three tours in Vietnam. He retired after 29 years of service as a 1st SGT. But at the Age of 65, when the Gulf War broke out. He rushed back into the recruiting station and said something like, "I have to get over there and help my boys!"

My Uncle Bud passed away in 1999 in his 70s. I was busy with life and I missed a big part that I really should have paid closer attention to. I think about my Uncle Bud a lot actually. The man came to my Marine Corp graduation and that is something I will never forget. Like I said...I wish I could go back and ask him all the questions I should have when I was younger.

Last edited:
Back