The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Stirling - Bay Rum
Brush: Stirling 24mm Fan in Finest Badger
Penultimate Aftershave: Humphreys Alcoholado Maravilla
The Ultimate Aftershave: Stirling - Grand Bay - Bay Rum

0gbINnE5V4_WwNnkpPS1acMq5vnbXnDVWTjhaIHxGf9MGirr_pxOuFmfisjDtJa98jA7A5C6bJO1S0tghv4SYAiwo4v2byplVLM5g3hYXFgwetq-rpdVS2Ee0FwB63M5DThxTTFs4Tn4vLEbyWi2rMYcFK-aj3xZjrebTYjTMixEKFyYZyO3-IbXlL19Lh2BSt2VZRVgimm0Ig3TYgxt9pb-MF7GnRvmDolMCtxeLxHUD4Ls8wlUD6OMav2F9IIrdK9tjHWdCMzZuD1PCpAErhTz-2Pxm-ojDNqmQYYV6dUf3UTHcMnTakZkmz5khs97T3FsaEeLfKjaM8mcCEmHvdD1RCqc_IPUzY6wH_azYc7UfVaPJhhFZkml03mN5eN5BKlenitNYXOEj2xwWU97s7ryBz0hpAlxOroWVpw1QTzIbKpCIIcYkWH35-HmZzxqhXPdvyoVz-6WhhDljljY631KTpesLX5t8q7H-_MDUglCDF47Oar_Pmj-SZ2nPsXi_8Xi7DP1Z3CyV-MJxn3aPV5bn4FaEh0oGoAzeno3AEQW1r8Ay_7D-WASzH9ueb9GJNRBuK94qJTCPQ8il4PmGFqalEYcTVgzlWRSR275_M2CXvNEwbAhtz86bmZLvNvrC6dij9oPszZ74S2Hu1ID-U_KDIpMUA4=w1190-h893-no

I'm continuing with Stirling week with Stirling Bay Rum. Not much to say about the soap except that, oh yeah...IT'S AWESOME! Not sure what I did differently today, but the lather was so much slicker than I remember. maybe I went extra on the water...don't know. But the soap was super slick this morning. By the way...I love the scent of Stirling's Bay Rum...just a classic scent!

So the question of the day is..."Why didn't I pick the P-30 blade before any other blade?" The Schick Proline P-30 blade in the Blackland Vector is THE set up. There was virtually no effort in this shave and man was it smooth! Obviously I had to pay attention to what I was doing, but little pressure and man I am smooth. I went three passes and a little cleanup. My face is as smooth as I ever can remember. The neck, where I and we have the most problems usually, is just really a notch below what the face is...but maybe the smoothest I have ever had it. Yup, based on this shave alone...if I can scrounge up the cashola and keep the purchase from the wife...looks like I will be looking for a Vector at some point. This shave was that good.

I decided to finally use the Alcoholado Maravilla that @Dave in KY provided in this pass around. So what sucks about this product is that it is extremely hard to find. So if I like it...I likely won't be able to get it. Guess what? Yeah, I like it...a lot! I really think this stuff adds a little something extra to regular witch hazel or Thayers. And if I ever do acquire a bottle or two. I would likely take half a bottle and dilute it with plain witch hazel one part for one. I think this is great stuff on it's own...but not sure I want this strength all the time. Either way...man it is really good. Thanks Dave...I guess? 🤪

A few glugs of the Grand Bay Bay Rum...and oh man...I feel like a Privateer! The shave was a BBS on the Face and very close on the neck. Let's call this a Super Duper DFS +++. Otherwise known as a BBS Lite!

The Danger Zone:

Okay...last time I wrote in here I said that it was Tuesday but seemed like Thursday. Well now it is Thursday, and it seems like...well Thursday. But Friday I'm in love. Wait...that's not right. But I do like The Cure! Had a long trip to a place past Shreveport yesterday. It was a there and back. So a little over four hours there...and a little over four hours back. Nine hours in the car for work is really no fun. If it was for vacation...that would be a different story. As most of you know I have been having issues with my back. And driving was absolutely excruciating. But I really believe the strength training I have been doing is really helping. I am not saying I didn't have some discomfort yesterday...but man it is so much better now than it was then. Either way...it got me out of the office and I got to listen to a whole mess of podcasts.

One of the podcasts I listened to was an Interview with Neil Gaiman. It was on the Tim Ferriss Podcast and I think it was episode #366. Neil Gaiman (if you don't know), is the author of American Gods, Coraline, Good Omens, Anansi Boys, the Sandman comic books, and a whole mess of other things. Anyway...this is a must listen to. The interview starts off a little dry, but man it reeled me in quick. He talks about a lot of stuff....like how he doesn't use a word processor or computer to write his books, how he writes all of his books in a fountain pen. He talks about fountain pens (and still uses a couple of Pilot Pens). He talks about his friend (Terry Prachet, co-author of Good Omens...Terry Prachet was the all tike best selling author in the UK before JK Rowling came along). He talks about Alzheimer's, he talks about the endeavor to get Good Omens made into a TV Series (On Amazon at the end of the Month), and he talks about a whole lot more. Seriously though. Do yourself a favor and listen to this particular podcast.

We are almost done for the week Cadre...and most of us will have a long weekend with Memorial Day. I hope today is filled with productivity and happiness!

Great shave Don! You're all killing me with that Vector btw :)
Have a good feeling about Good Omens show. I think Prime is dropping all ep on the 31st, like Netflix.

Nice shave Don! Sounds like you'll be saving your pennies for your own Vector lol.

I'll have to check out that podcast you mentioned. I'm not very well versed in Neil Gaiman's work, but I did read (and loved) American Gods. I tried to watch the show but I was a little disappointed with it and kind of just stopped watching.

Nice shave Don! Sounds like you'll be saving your pennies for your own Vector lol.

I'll have to check out that podcast you mentioned. I'm not very well versed in Neil Gaiman's work, but I did read (and loved) American Gods. I tried to watch the show but I was a little disappointed with it and kind of just stopped watching.

American Gods was a great book. I liked the show fine until this season.

In the podcast Gaiman says that he was the show runner for Good Omens and compromised very little on it. So it should be very close to his vision.

The problem with the American Gods series is that the actress who plays Laura is completely unconvincing in her part. And right now the story line has gone caput. The cab driver and Jinn have major roles while in the book they are a side story. The story is dragging on much too long right now and could be shortened quite a bit. There are other issues too...I just won't go into them now.

American Gods was a great book. I liked the show fine until this season.

In the podcast Gaiman says that he was the show runner for Good Omens and compromised very little on it. So it should be very close to his vision.

The problem with the American Gods series is that the actress who plays Laura is completely unconvincing in her part. And right now the story line has gone caput. The cab driver and Jinn have major roles while in the book they are a side story. The story is dragging on much too long right now and could be shortened quite a bit. There are other issues too...I just won't go into them now.
I was disappointed because I really like the actor that plays Wednesday, so I was excited to watch it just for him. Then it was just a let down. I guess they all can't be winners.

I was disappointed because I really like the actor that plays Wednesday, so I was excited to watch it just for him. Then it was just a let down. I guess they all can't be winners.

I know a lot of people like Ian McShane. Personally I think he does a pretty decent job. I just think they have focused on things that are not as relevant as they think and the story goes no where until the very last episode. To be honest...with what the show has presented thus far and in the manner of how they presented it. This series could have been done in a single season. That being said...there is enough material in the book to go for three or four seasons. But I do think they are screwing it up right now.

Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Stirling - Weekend in Malibu
Brush: Stirling 24mm Synthetic
Penultimate Aftershave: Humphreys Alcoholado Maravilla and Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel Formula
The Ultimate Aftershave: Stirling - Weekend in Malibu

A short one today gents, as I am wrapping up Stirling week and my shaves with the Vector. Yup, Last shave with the vector. And I can confirm that this razor with a P-30 blade is definitely it for me. Not just some really solid shaves...but some exceptional shaves. The Weekend in Malibu soap is just a really nice watery and floral (but not too flowery) scent that is really wonderful for this time of year when things are blooming and it's not full on summer yet. The soap is Stirling. So yeah...you know it's going to be good. I decided to try the Alcoholado Maravilla one more time, but a mixed it in half with some Thayers Coconut Water. It did add a bit more to it...but that Alcoholado Maravilla kind of takes over. If you are mixing with this stuff it might have to be something in the neighborhood of 1 part AM and two to three parts...anything else. But it is good stuff all the same. Ended up with a really good shave again. Pretty much the same as yesterday! So I will call this DFS+++.

The Danger Zone:

Busy time at work right now but it's manageable this month. Yesterday I talked about a podcast that I listened to that is really a must listen to. I have started another one also...The British History Podcast. And yes...that is the name of it. It's a pretty good telling of the History of the British Isles. The speaker is really engaging and sometimes humorous. They are about 20 to 30 minutes long and there are almost 200 of them to listen to. They go back to 2011. It's history that is meant to be listened to chronologically. So while I think you could jump in the middle and start listening...I suggest starting from the beginning. The first two episodes are really an introduction and a pre-history overview of Britain. The third episode is really where it starts with Gaius Julius Caesar and when he took the 7th and 10th Legions to Brittania. I am about 10 episodes in and listening to history involving Boudica...one of my favorite historical figures! Anyway...if you are remotely interested in history....especially of the British Isles...this is a good one!

It's FRIDAY and almost the beginning of a three day weekend! I hope the Cadre has a great day and a wonderful weekend!

Vector gets you to DSF++++. Have you ever gotten a BBS shave?

Back