The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Right now it's 90 degrees and "feels like" 95. Our actual temps have exceeded the expected temps every day this week and half of last week by at least two degrees each day and some days by four or five degrees. It's been humid lately...and the weatherman says it's unusually humid. I completely disagree...as it is always humid here. Today is actually nice in the humidity department. It's sitting right at 50%. It will pick up this weekend. Our average humidity sits right around 80%. Mornings are always the highest at about 90% then will drop slightly throughout the day.

I have been a lot of places around the world. The most humid places I have been were usually jungles. Outside of places like that...parts of Louisiana (not all of it) is seriously the most humid place I have been. Parts of Texas are a close second.

Great shave and review of the Vector, Don. I've met a few people that live for weather like that, but I am at my worst in it lol.

Great shave and review of the Vector, Don. I've met a few people that live for weather like that, but I am at my worst in it lol.
Thanks Eric! I am interested to see how the Vector runs its course with me. I am liking it so far. Yeah...I live in the wrong state to hate heat and humidity. And I don't understand people that love 100 degree temps and 80-90% Humidity. I am not saying I want to live in the North Pole. But I would love to live in a place that has a balance of seasons. I'm thinking @Dave in KY might be able to put my family up until I find a car, and a job, and a...well a new life... 🤪.

Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming in Collaboration with Chatillon Lux - Vide Poche
Brush: Asylum Brush Works - TSC 1st Anniversary Brush by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Declaration Grooming in Collaboration with Chatillon Lux - Vide Poche

The wife and went and painted some pottery tonight and so I wanted to be presentable. A shave of course was in order. Of course this is just an excuse to use the Vector again! So I decided to pull out my favorite smelling soap and work in a lot of water to make it super slick. Decided to try out some different angles with the razor and got a pretty good shave! I chased a bit much on my neck and probably got a little too close in a couple spots. But nothing too serious. I am really digging how this razor feels in my hand. The weight of the handle and the lightness of the head are really suiting me. But got to say...this blade needs to be sharper. I mean a lot sharper. So I think Monday I will try out the Feather Super blade that John @The Monkey suggested. But all in all I got a pretty good shave. The neck could be smoother though. But a couple splashes of the same smelling aftershave and I am feeling great!

The Danger Zone:

We have one of those places where you go and paint a ceramic piece and then they fire it for you, just about five minutes from our house. The wife wanted to go tonight and I thought it would be kind of fun. Well I realized how much I didn't know about painting ceramics and decided to go with a simple coffee mug. We will see how it turned out once I pick it. But either way...the wife and I had some fun.

Hope the cadre is having a wonderful Weekend and I hope your Sunday is restful!

So...this is what I painted.

Y1M_2y_mwM87rPoU8T4AnPjKuHp9-cEfUWGw5h9FaVBBrn7m5Qt_BfRFYmfbbbuL84BKh9Kb6RDx-dbrAlzV66U1yBB50fr8rO1Zg6RFdY1A7fQNk7UvCy6E9xqgmSDAsBZYrxG-_jMvr0XOMQo29gwV42vF25Vyk24V-CVpEc7ve9TPNeengu_6y7unjpHwf-9uREaHA1FaEf45iaB3qELLi7Rhwvz5Ji51M30zQiUsGUUt4xauW7hUewZYYYXklt16EN9wFysi7RaYqS3DVL75X0ufkHDimXGXzBGoBpe7Ul8ONil4opdoEYPvhZ5zGWJMjV9vm_EznxbrPvLAU3cvxt1Y9_AGzk6sClKQ3Mp-hLR096vfuFcY6mGHyp-IZFFjFeTRNcZLdbnId0MkES19Y9pU_Ave_55TqZkIgnTGEq_LGHQZ5UxadQZEKKmQ3FUN-JqmPimdI-H80gYQDvYvtZ8l-Gpd-bb5v_gqpyJzZD6X9Bqmwhy7xWM6Gb4ctTa4LeyIFUzakcn7ROd4OYm7-O9sQinzUfQ7trITv6hAcryjAlJb6Ciy1ZIzE-TBPHJV3TSPYl_BFmySIrss_bV9G9URgN-kTQgNW1LMOFbt8sg8gmXbp-NNK20J5clCP8E18sYa5iWZDKM5v1mv3MQBPwC1SE0=w689-h918-no

I wanted to do something simple to kind of get my feet wet. I think this might be a regular thing for the wife and I and I didn't want to start on something that was going to be overly complicated. Then I got the bright idea to do something "artistic" with the paint that was supposed to drip. In retrospect...I should have thinned the paint out a little so it wouldn't just stay on top. But oh well...we will see how this turns out after it is glazed and fired.

Blade: Feather Super Professional (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Stirling - Weekend in Malibu
Brush: Asylum Brush Works - TSC 1st Anniversary Brush in Timberwolf Synthetic by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
The Ultimate Aftershave: Stirling - Weekend in Malibu

It's Stirling Week for our Soap/Cream Themes! And what better way to kick it off than a new to me soap! I got this in a trade with Shawn @ShawnF and man does Weekned in Malibu smell wonderful! Evidently this scent is a mixture of citrus, vanilla, sandalwood, and lily of the valley. Oh man does the lily of the valley really come out and give it that sort of sweet water floral. It definitely puts my mind on vacation so maybe this is a good scent for when the weather gets hot! Did I mention that it's going to be 94 degree here in Louisiana? Can't say enough about the performance of the soap. Really like this stuff and if it wasn't out everywhere (I think it was a limited edition though I am not sure) I would say go grab you some!

Third Shave with the Blackland vector. I decided to use the Feather Professional Blade this time as recommended by John @The Monkey. This blade is definitely sharper and I think added to the shave in a positive way. But I am not sure it helped out as much as I would have liked! I am really struggling with the horizontal passes on the neck. First of all, I just can't get any angle going that really does much to the middle portion of my neck (on my second pass which is an east to west/west to east pass). But also, on these horizontal strokes, I am scratching the crap out of my neck. Not drawing blood (which is actually amazing), but just scratching my skin where the sides and corners of the blade are catching me. I am still really enjoying the weight and the feel of the razor and there is something about it that just makes me want one. But I need to reserve judgement for when I have used this a couple to few more times!

The Danger Zone:

Last couple of weeks in the month so that means work is about to get busy again. This month shouldn't be as bad as last month...but you never know what comes up that you HAVE to get done. Game of Thrones finished last night and I can't say I was really disappointed...but I thought the episode was average at best. I mean they took something like 15 to 20 minutes to show Tyrion finding his brother and sister. Honestly I felt like I was watching Lord of the Rings where Frodo goes off to the Undying Lands. Okay I lied. I guess I was disappointed. Just going to wait for something like 10 to 15 year for GRRM to finish his books.

It's Monday so let's kick this week off great Cadre! Find that thing that you are going to kick some ass today!

@dang did you use the Feather professional or the Professional Super? I recommendedthe Supers as it add a lot more aggression and blade feel.

Hope you get the Vector figured out. Sounds like your on the verge of greatness with it, but it’s coming up short. A pressure/angle issue maybe?

Good luck closing out your work load this month. We’re rootin for ya!

@dang did you use the Feather professional or the Professional Super? I recommendedthe Supers as it add a lot more aggression and blade feel.
Well...The box said Super Professional...so Both?

Probably going to try a different blade in the next shave.

Blade: Feather Super Professional (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Stirling - Weekend in Malibu
Brush: Asylum Brush Works - TSC 1st Anniversary Brush in Timberwolf Synthetic by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
The Ultimate Aftershave: Stirling - Weekend in Malibu

The scent was super good yesterday in this soap so I thought I would keep it going. I am limited in my Stirling soaps (probably the only wet shaver in the world that will admit that) so a second day with the same soap won't hurt... :D.

Back to the Vector. I did something different with my shave this morning. I went at my neck at a 45 degree angle as opposed to the normal north south and east west model I have been doing. Tried to stretch my skin as much as I could (I really suck at skin stretching, thus my apprehension to really get into straights). I ended up with a slightly better shave on my neck than I usually do. I did, however, end up using more pressure than I usually do and so when it came time to splash on the Thayers and the After Shave...yup...my face felt it. Let's just say I felt a slight tingle...🤪.

Ended up with a DFS+. I'll take that for the win!

The Danger Zone:

Man I know it's Tuesday but it feels like it should be Thursday! Back to the grind today. I have some stuff to finish up but it looks like I can get a couple cases done this week. Then I will have my short week next week to finish up my load for the month. Trying to get on top of things so that I can get to the point of getting a case in to the boss at the beginning of the month, the middle, and one towards the end. But things always pop up...so we will see.

It might be Tuesday...But I think we can feel like it's getting close to the weekend! I hope the Cadre is living life to the finest today!

Back