The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

just in case the big bosses are reading... 🤪
EarnestPlaintiveFrogmouth-size_restricted.gif

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Super-Max Platinum Plus (3rd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Bain Amour - Monsieur Piquant
Brush: Omega Pro 49
Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Chiseled Face - Cedar & Spice

Oh boy has it been a while! Being sick really threw me for one this time and even when I thought I was better...I had little to no capacity to think or do much. Man that was a bad one! I had a couple other shaves this week, which I will try to post at some time, especially since they fit in with the soap theme of the week! But for now, let me get on to this morning's shave!

This week's soap/cream theme is "Remembering Friends you haven't Visited in a while," and this morning's fits the bill. I decided to go with my Bain Amour soap. I actually shaved with another Bain Amour soap earlier in the week also. But Bain Amour has a special placed in my heart. Not to get all into it, but almost three years ago something catastrophic happened to my family. Theresa, the owner of Bain Amour did something really nice for us and it showed the character and type of person she was. Needless to say, I will always be a fan of Bain Amour soaps.

I would love to say that I whipped up a quick lather, but this soap is among, if not THE, thirstiest soap I have experienced. But with patience yields a thick and luxurious lather. It really is a good soap. if the post shave qualities were a bit better, this would easily be a Tier One soap. The scent on this soap is very unique and one I absolutely love: " a spicy mixture of orange, apple, chocolate, nutmeg, ginger, clove, sandalwood, vanilla, amber & musk." It's spicy, but I detect more fruit and chocolate in it than spice. Either way it is a wonderful scent. It's a shame Bain Amour doesn't make this scent any longer. A quick splash of Chiseled Face's Cedar & Spice...and this is about as close of an aftershave as I am going to get!

The Danger Zone:

Like I said earlier...this cold kicked my ass. I still have a little bit of a lingering cough...but it is fading with each passing day. I have a lot of catching up to do on TSC and yes...I know @HandleBarberDave called me out on a Crawfish and Slap Ya Mama shave. Not sure how that is going to work...but I will figure it out.

I hope the Cadre has a wonderful Thursday! Getting closer to the weekend!

Glad your on the upswing. REALLY nice the Artisan was kind at a difficult time for you. Those things leave an impression for sure. Looking forward to the video. My recommendation is NOT to combine it with the Graham Field Blade shave video !!!!

Good to see you up and around!

Loved the Bain and Amour story, it's what makes this a great hobby :)
I guess they are a local artisan?

Good to see you up and around!

Loved the Bain and Amour story, it's what makes this a great hobby :)
I guess they are a local artisan?

Yup...they are a local soap maker. She puts most of her focus into regular bath soap and other related items. She has some shave soaps and aftershaves, but has really of late focused on her regular soaps and bath items. Bain Amour is about an hour west of me and I still stop in from time to time to see Theresa.

Bain Amour Bath & Body Co Welcome

Thanks guys for keeping the comments going on my journal...even when I'm not home...so to speak!

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Topaz Stainless "The Micronised Blade" (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: PannaCrema - Ebano
Brush: Omega Pro 49
Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Proraso

What a past few weeks. I have been on and off TSC but really haven't been able to make time for anything substantive to write down. I have had some shaves...and I really did intend to get pics and details. But alas, I am just going forward from now.

Trying out a new blade in the never ending dish of loose blades. It's a Topaz Stainless. I find it hilarious that there is a little claim on the packaging that says that Topaz is "The Micronised Blade." Honestly...I had to look this up to see if it was even a word. Yup, it sure is. But I do not think it means what they think it means. 🤪 That being said...after one shave...this blade is okay. It got the job done in a pretty efficient manner. Who knows...it might be a new favorite. (I pulled the pic off the internet)

My shave today is in line with the soap theme of the week. Italian. I really thought I had a few more Italian soap makers...but it seems that I have either lost or given away my others. So it's pulling out an old friend also. This is the original PannaCrema tallow based soap. And man...I have no idea why it got pushed to the back of the den. This was a fairly limited edition soap and the scent notes are described as, "Base woody notes, manly with a touch of smokey, with a solid amber background, which is warm and sensual. As with our other fragrances, this scent is subtle in the bowl, but is fully released when the soap is lathered. " I think that time has even mellowed this scent out further, but I never did think that it was a strong scent anyway. It's a nice pleasant soapy scent with some hints of wood and amber. Either way...this stuff performs pretty darn good. It is probably one of my better lathering soaps and does not require a ton of water or a ton of work. It's probably not as moisturizing as many of the newer soaps....but it is still better than most. If I had to rank it...It would either be a really high Tier 2 or a low Tier 1. But I still really love the stuff!

A three pass shave and the my face is smooth again. Keeping with the I-Tai theme I used a VERY generous supply of Proraso Aftershave to soothe any wayward feelings of irritation. I am ready for the world right now!

The Danger Zone:

That cold kicked my butt and then work kicked me when I was down. But Things are in line again and I am ready to conquer the world. I finally got back to working out again and am adding some more cardio to the week. I want to be more active on the weekends also and not fall into the same grooves that I have been. I want to take at least a few hours each weekend and do some kind of outdoor activity. I am thinking of doing a little hiking this weekend if the weather permits.

It's HUMP Day ladies and gents and the week is getting there. I hope the day brings the Cadre some productivity and accomplishment! Have a great one!

Some excellent photos, Don! And I don't know if you're a Pelicans fan or not, but they sure made out like a bandit in the draft lottery last night!

Back