The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Watch List

3c52d5fcf3d0e09e10028b00a8aa9278.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today's Watch War is shaping up to be a Rocketing good one (see what I did there?)

From the top of the Fixed Service Structure at Launch Complex 39A....its Blastoff time!!!

Today seems to be very heavy on the mid-60's feel. Let's see if anyone can rocket to the top of the field and take the victory.

Today's first contestant is Gerry.......he lives in the coldest reaches of all of the known world.....he's @Fenster

img_20230427_093736754-jpg.109995

This is a sweet looking watch. Very cool design. Simple and very retro. I'm still not a fan of the numbers either being missing or, in this case, only telling me the top of the hour or the bottom of the hour. I'm aware that I'm getting older...just don't make it impossible for me to tell what time it is. I do like the band as it makes for a very comfortable fit. Gerry has brought a howitzer disguised as a water pistol to a rocket fight. Very nice.

Our next contestant is a returning champ....Dave.....of the Dry Heat kind.

Let's see what he has on the launch pad...

0fec105c-5747-45b0-9508-1935e645ff89-jpeg.110005

WHOA!!!!!!!! I see that Dave came to play. He knows of my love for all things Space and especially my love for all things NASA.......and yet.....

This is one of the more understated Apollo watches. It's still really cool and the addition of the Flown coin is earning this one some extra glances from the Judges....it's too early to tell if this creates the splashdown he was anticipating.

Here's another new contestant... @Majorrich ....of the sightly inappropriate comment.

He is also flying high with his entry...

image-jpg.110012

Now that's a slick looking watch. I'm liking the clean face and the all-over black is very sharp looking and really makes the face stand out. The band is matching and that's cool. This is a really super first entry into this competition.....if nothing else, it shows that Rich isn't a rookie in this type of event. He came to win.

Our fourth entry is from @ED3054 ....he's itching to get into the battle...

3c52d5fcf3d0e09e10028b00a8aa9278.jpg

Yep....that's a solid timepiece. Again, I like the band on this one....it looks super cool as far as metal bands go. But we've seen the Seiko....solid watch....proven performer.....but not spacy enough for today. I expect big things from Ed as the competition moves forward....maybe he's biding his time for the later rounds? Is there strategy afoot?

Our fifth entry is up. Its Dave....of the City by the Bay kind....

900efd5a-5081-44b2-8960-edb94b8e28e4-jpeg.110015

Oh....ok......so Dave went in an entirely different direction (after first making us think that a time portal had opened on his wrist and devoured his watch). Again....he dances to the music only he can hear.....and we love it. This is a really eye catching piece. Very cool. Very distinct. Almost like an art piece. But I'm still not a fan of the lack of numbers. The main point is to tell the time. I know most of us can figure out what time this watch tells us (6:59 am)....but it should be a little easier. I am a fan of the leather band. A really superior looking watch.

And we have a late entry.....The Coastal King.... @GearNoir .

Let's see his rocket.....

image-jpg.110022

Very, very, very nice (its so nice, I said it thrice). That is a stunner!! And I'm loving the band. It looks very baseball glove to me. The face is easy to read and the design is very classic. I'm also noting that the lack of arm hair has been minimized by the shirt sleeve which is sorta matchy-matchy with the hands....Chris gives his advantage away to another advantage, very next level stuff....this competitor is a sleeper.

I think I've seen all I need to see for this round.

The judges will now huddle behind the cryogenically frozen body of Wernher Von Braun and decide.....

.....and we have liftoff!!!!!!

...and the winner for today is....

@Fenster !!!

I know that no one knew the theme I selected last night (but several must have guessed since we had plenty of Spacey type watches) but the retro look of Gerry's timepiece has to take the victory today. Chris came with a very solid second place. If not for the theme...he would have run away with this one.

Please join us tomorrow on Watch Wars........it's a Friday and we all know what kind of shirt is worn on a Friday (hint, hint)

Intimidation will lose you points. And Arizonians aren't allowed to mention Lake Mead. You might just steal the water Utah won't let any of us have.

Can we get a round of applause for the man who ironically is a minimalist in the watch department. The man who shivers in fear of what his wife will say every time a package arrives with his name on it. The man who has set fire to this thread (for better or worse). Our own....

@heysi

Intimidation will lose you points. And Arizonians aren't allowed to mention Lake Mead. You might just steal the water Utah won't let any of us have.
Hey, without Powell there, Vegas boy there ain’t no Mead. So pay your respects and tribute. As for Utah? ….. well…. You know 🤪

Or……..🤣🤣

While we’re off topic…you dudes that have pulled overseas buys or kickstarters…what’s been the additional wallet damage on import duties and other associated fees?

While we’re off topic…you dudes that have pulled overseas buys or kickstarters…what’s been the additional wallet damage on import duties and other associated fees?
I've avoided more expensive watches from overseas for that reason. There is a website where you can calculate duty you should pay on different products. But I don't like the uncertainly of it as I hear you just end up getting a bill for it.

If you go through a watch dealer I have found shipping is cheaper, faster(DHL worldwide and no duties. Here are a few

Gnomon (singapore)
Henry Archer (denmark)
Selten

If you go through a watch dealer I have found shipping is cheaper, faster(DHL worldwide and no duties. Here are a few

Gnomon (singapore)
Henry Archer (denmark)
Selten
In fact, all three of the ones above, if you spend a certain amount of money is zero, shipping zero duty fees

I've avoided more expensive watches from overseas for that reason. There is a website where you can calculate duty you should pay on different products. But I don't like the uncertainly of it as I hear you just end up getting a bill for it.

In fact, all three of the ones above, if you spend a certain amount of money is zero, shipping zero duty fees

And just like that Dave of the nurse variety is shopping.

Back