The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Watch List

So, I got me a watch winder. I'm still not sure where I'm headed with this, but I did decide chainable single winders would work better for me than a box type with storage for other watches. I've done a bit of research (YouTube) and consulted my barber. Boy, I had no idea that the use of winders was just a controversial topic in the online watch world. I have decided I'm not going to put all my automatics on winders, but other than that I'm not sure. Here's where I'm at.

Overwinding - It seems that on vintage watches this could be a concern, but I don't have vintage watches. Modern watches this seems to be not so much of a concern. I can agree that having a watch on a winder all the time is different than wearing it 12-18 hrs a day, but getting a winder that allows you to regulate how many turns it makes in a day negates this issue. And if you happen to have one watch you wear all the time, you're constantly overwinding it just by wearing it.

Additional wear and tear - One thought is if you have several automatic watches, then some of them are getting a break from use after they wind down. If they are on winders, then they are all always in use and all wearing at the "normal" level without a break. BUT, it seems this wear is somewhat negligible or at least up for debate. The other side of this is additional wear on watches from having to reset the time/date every time you use them if they are always dead. The part of this that makes sense to me is for watches with screw-down crowns. Instead of occasionally unscrewing the crown, it's being done every time the watch is used. Thus, putting more wear on the threads.

Good to keep them moving - This also makes sense. The concern is if you let your watches just sit, the oils can dry and become sticky. Listening to a watch service guy, his opinion is once a month to wind up a watch that hasn't been used just to keep everything loose and functional. This seems to make intuitive sense to me. He thinks that's a good use for a winder. You can throw on a watch you don't normally wear for a day and then put it away again.

So I got one winder just to see how I like it and how loud it is. Right now my thinking is maybe having a few and keeping a few watches on them to wear for a while so I'm not having to reset the time every day, and then swap them out for others. I'm also thinking of leaning towards keeping those with the screw-down crowns on them to reduce wear on the threads. Time will tell. Get it? :LOL:
ECD03429-6325-438E-8BF8-05D1B3E18A7C.jpeg

So, I got me a watch winder. I'm still not sure where I'm headed with this, but I did decide chainable single winders would work better for me than a box type with storage for other watches. I've done a bit of research (YouTube) and consulted my barber. Boy, I had no idea that the use of winders was just a controversial topic in the online watch world. I have decided I'm not going to put all my automatics on winders, but other than that I'm not sure. Here's where I'm at.

Overwinding - It seems that on vintage watches this could be a concern, but I don't have vintage watches. Modern watches this seems to be not so much of a concern. I can agree that having a watch on a winder all the time is different than wearing it 12-18 hrs a day, but getting a winder that allows you to regulate how many turns it makes in a day negates this issue. And if you happen to have one watch you wear all the time, you're constantly overwinding it just by wearing it.

Additional wear and tear - One thought is if you have several automatic watches, then some of them are getting a break from use after they wind down. If they are on winders, then they are all always in use and all wearing at the "normal" level without a break. BUT, it seems this wear is somewhat negligible or at least up for debate. The other side of this is additional wear on watches from having to reset the time/date every time you use them if they are always dead. The part of this that makes sense to me is for watches with screw-down crowns. Instead of occasionally unscrewing the crown, it's being done every time the watch is used. Thus, putting more wear on the threads.

Good to keep them moving - This also makes sense. The concern is if you let your watches just sit, the oils can dry and become sticky. Listening to a watch service guy, his opinion is once a month to wind up a watch that hasn't been used just to keep everything loose and functional. This seems to make intuitive sense to me. He thinks that's a good use for a winder. You can throw on a watch you don't normally wear for a day and then put it away again.

So I got one winder just to see how I like it and how loud it is. Right now my thinking is maybe having a few and keeping a few watches on them to wear for a while so I'm not having to reset the time every day, and then swap them out for others. I'm also thinking of leaning towards keeping those with the screw-down crowns on them to reduce wear on the threads. Time will tell. Get it? :LOL:
View attachment 89191
ok you tell the wife this was all on you! I tried to talk you out of it

Overwinding can happen on cheapies too.

Also, a wonder would be nice if you haven’t worn one for a bit but know you will be the next day…pop it on the winder!

Well on most automatics, once the spring is fully charges, the watch will disengage and wont allow it to be overwound, they are mostly, I have had a few and all they did was collect dust. I still have one wolf winder and it never gets used

Also, a wonder would be nice if you haven’t worn one for a bit but know you will be the next day…pop it on the winder!
Not really. One shake or two and that's enough for them to start and then just moving around is enough to keep it going. Maybe if you're short on time in the morning you could get it going at night, set them time and then stick it in the winder to be ready to go.

View attachment 89191
Nice.. I hope you like it. hey are nice to have especially if you have several automatic watches.... Remember you dont have to have them on all the time winding... Also Just an FYI.. If it stops working it is most likely the belt inside (basically a rubber band ) or the little motor.. The motor is a simple replacement that can be done even with no more than an old dvd player motor , or one purchased online. My dads first winder messed up and I replaced the motor in less than 10 minutes ( I think it took that long , It might have been less )...

Thought about that. But I'm rolling right from work to dinner so it would require bringing a 2nd watch to work and I'm not at that level yet. It would likely also require a new level of eye-rolling from my wife.
Rats…. I tried 🤓😜🤪🤪

Back