The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Smoke Lounge

Speaking of things that are unique...

Since I am a fan of odd-ball things, I decided to finally pick this up. I first saw it in a pipe smoking video years ago on YouTube. This is what got me interested in Mr. Brog's pipes.
View attachment 15430
View attachment 15431
View attachment 15432
View attachment 15433
View attachment 15434

This poker is friggin' huge! The bowl is about the size of a soda can. The chamber looks like it would hold an entire cigar's worth of tobacco.

I am not going to be breaking this in today. I think it is going to take a good four to six hours to smoke an entire bowl. However, with the thickness of the pear wood bowl, it should have no heat problems.
are you sure that your not SUPPOSED to just put a cigar in that and go? lol that is a BEAST!

Dang! That’s huge!

Image result for that's what she said

I know I am childish

Once again I am at my favorite weekend hangout enjoying some coffee spiked with Old Forrester 100 proof and my pipes.

Today I am smoking a 2015 vintage tin of some really great VA/Per.
IMG_20200125_152212344.jpg
This tobacco is hard to find right now, but if you can find it, get it. Yum. It has a good amount of Perique to tickle your nose as you smoke.

I started in this pear wood sitter with wind cap from Mr. Brog. It has a military mount with a metal "stinger" type filter.
IMG_20200125_152018017.jpg

When that one gets too hot, or starts to gurgle a bit, I am switching to the Mr. Brog no. 34 Bulldog to continue the break-in.
IMG_20200125_152103824.jpg
It is smoking a bit cooler today, but I still have to take it slowly.

If I have time for a third pipe-full I am going to load up this Dublin shaped H.I.S. Italia.
IMG_20200125_152133309.jpg

Never got into pipes, but I like the scent of most pipe tobacco smoke.

I'm a cigar guy and have a collection. But have kinda lost some interest over the last couple years. Need to go down to the lounge and try to renew my interest in them.

Can any pipe be converted to a filter stem?
Something like the following can probably be inserted into almost any pipe stem. However, there has to be room in the shank for it.

Something like the following can probably be inserted into almost any pipe stem. However, there has to be room in the shank for it.
Both of my pipes came with those. I have tried one with and without in and couldn't really tell a difference. I decided to just leave them in case i really mess up and draw ash into the stem.

Feeling in the mood for some Va/Bur blends, so I put in a SmokingPipes.Com order:

Peter Stokkebye: PS41 Cube Cut
Options: 1oz Item No: 005-005-0006

Peter Stokkebye: PS1 Classic Natural
Options: 1oz Item No: 005-005-0012

Peter Stokkebye: PS301 Natural Dutch Cavendish
Options: 1oz Item No: 005-005-0036

Sutliff: Ready Rubbed Match
Options: 1oz Item No: 005-443-0071

Low Country: Natural Virginia & Burley
Options: 1oz Item No: 005-780-0002

I was eyeing that cube cut! But went with Night cap, hoping it’s like Dunhill version.

Finally had a decent pipe smoke today. Filled the bowl with a Peter Stokkebye sample I had and was able to keep it lit for about 20 minutes with a couple relights. Got through about 2/3 of the bowl before it went out completely. I think I held the flame a little too close starting out and it was a bit acrid; overall not bad though!

I gave the English Luxury a try tonight and it was a pretty good smoke. For sure started to actually get some taste out of the smoke. not enough to pick out any flavor notes but enough to really enjoy it. I think I'm beginning get better at packing the pipe too.

Finally had a decent pipe smoke today. Filled the bowl with a Peter Stokkebye sample I had and was able to keep it lit for about 20 minutes with a couple relights. Got through about 2/3 of the bowl before it went out completely. I think I held the flame a little too close starting out and it was a bit acrid; overall not bad though!
Don't sweat the relights. According to some pipe smokers, your pipe should always be on the edge of going out to get the best smoke. Just make sure to smoke it slowly and gently.

Back