The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Smoke Lounge

That is a great collection, Rich!

I am building up a collection of Kaywoodies. So far I have 3. All of them have the "stinger" which I just think is cool. Kaywoodie is still around making pipes, but they no longer make them with stingers. They only produce the press fit vulcanite style pipes.

I also have one heirloom pipe from my maternal grandfather. It is a Dr. Grabow in the small Prince style. It also has a stinger, which most other Grabow's that I have seen lack.

I guess I need to start going to auction houses. That sounds like a good way to build a collection.

I was finding them like crazy when I was collecting them. I was saving for a Tinsky when we moved to this house that doesn’t have a ‘Man Zone’ where I could go and have a pipe and my books. Not allowed to smoke in the house any mor, and that kinda killed my hobby. So now I do razors.

I was finding them like crazy when I was collecting them. I was saving for a Tinsky when we moved to this house that doesn’t have a ‘Man Zone’ where I could go and have a pipe and my books. Not allowed to smoke in the house any mor, and that kinda killed my hobby. So now I do razors.
That is a bummer. I hope that you find a place that will allow you to reignite (ha, ha) your hobby.

Had a bowl of the F&K Sterling Balkan on the drive home tonight. It is good stuff. I rate it about the same as the Sutliff Heavy English. It is good but there are things that I like better.

So far the Sutliff Balkan Sobranie Match and the PS Proper English are still my favorites of the bulk English Mixtures.

But, right now I am wishing I had some Prince Albert on hand. I am in the mood for some good, old fashioned burley.

Also (re)breaking in this vintage score today.
IMG_20200118_160922353.jpg
I found this in an antique shop in Florida. It is marked as "Olde London." The bowl is small, so it is a fast smoke. The bit is a push fit Vulcanite stem, but it does have a stinger fit to it. This pic doesn't show it, but there is some nice carving on the other side of the bowl.

One of these days I will post a pic or two of my entire collection.

Also (re)breaking in this vintage score today.
View attachment 15333
I found this in an antique shop in Florida. It is marked as "Olde London." The bowl is small, so it is a fast smoke. The bit is a push fit Vulcanite stem, but it does have a stinger fit to it. This pic doesn't show it, but there is some nice carving on the other side of the bowl.

One of these days I will post a pic or two of my entire collection.
love the grain on that one.

So what is your process for breaking in a pipe?

I just smoke the pipe gently, and allow the cake to form. Some guys make “pipe mud” (a mixture of ashes and honey if I recall), apply it to the bowl, and then smoke gently to build cake. Im not a big fan of that method, but it does Wouk on smaller, thin walled pipes.

love the grain on that one.

So what is your process for breaking in a pipe?
It is really straightforward.
For a new pipe I pack a bowl of something that will start to build a cake, like a Virginia, or if not in the mood for that at least something that will leave a nice char on the bowl without ghosting it like a nice Burley.

If it is an estate pipe, pack a bowl of something pleasant that I can use to smoke through any ghosts that are in the briar. For that Olde London I should have used something with a stronger flavor than the Burley I was smoking. I swear I could taste whatever the previous owner had smoked in it. There was this lingering sweetness that didn't match the tobacco I was smoking. I may need to give that one another go around with the cotton balls and rubbing alcohol.

My normal Sunday gaming get together is not happening today, so where am I? Yup, the cigar lounge.
IMG_20200119_141402359.jpg
I currently have two pipes going. The one on the left is the HIS that I picked up last Wednesday night. The other is an estate La Rocca Valerio. This might seem odd, but there is a reason for it. The HIS is packed with some Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. The Valerio is packed with Cornell & Diehl Star of the East. The PS flake is a Va/Per blend that is quite tasty, but it is burning hot in the HIS. So, since the HIS is new and doesn't have a cake built up I have to take frequent breaks to let it cool off. It is also cheaper, younger briar, so it isn't going to handle heat as well as a more expensive briar. This is to be expected with a cheaper basket pipe. It smokes very well, and will improve with some use and cake buildup, but right now it really needs to be smoked gently. The La Rocca is available while the HIS is resting and cooling.

The PS Luxury Navy Flake is something that really needs to be tried. It is a low cost bulk tobacco that smokes very well. Anyone wanting to give Perique blends a try should probably start here.

The C&D SotE is also a very worthy smoker. This blend is supposed to be 50% Latakia so it is very smoky and leathery. The Orientals and Virginia are there but they are only supporting players. C&D makes some really great blends and this is one of them. However, there are other English/Balkan mixtures that I like better. I want the Virginia and Orientals to be more present.

Doug, you sure have been living it up as of late!

Because I haven’t found my ‘baccy stash, I checked out Smoking pipes to get the lay of the land. Surprised to learn of th3 loss of Maclelland and Dunhill tobacco. I’ve not had nightcap for a long time. All I could find was Sutliff. So a tiny attack of TAD and a small amount of tobacco is on its way. Maybe then I’ll find my stash.

Because I haven’t found my ‘baccy stash, I checked out Smoking pipes to get the lay of the land. Surprised to learn of th3 loss of Maclelland and Dunhill tobacco. I’ve not had nightcap for a long time. All I could find was Sutliff. So a tiny attack of TAD and a small amount of tobacco is on its way. Maybe then I’ll find my stash.
I think i heard Dunhill is now called Peterson. I believe @dkeester mentiioned it too. maybe he has more details.

I think i heard Dunhill is now called Peterson. I believe @dkeester mentiioned it too. maybe he has more details.
Peterson has been around for a long time. They have been making pipes since 1865 and have had their own tobacco line for a long time also. When Dunhill decided to end of life most of its pipe tobacco blends Peterson picked them up. So, @Majorrich should look for Peterson Nightcap. The only problem is that they are now only available in tins. Peterson stopped bulk production of the Dunhill blends.

McClelland going out of business was a huge bummer. They made some really great products. Sutliff has replacements for a couple of McClelland's products like Stoved Virginia, but not many.

Sutliff has been around for quite a while and makes some really good stuff.

Peterson has been around for a long time. They have been making pipes since 1865 and have had their own tobacco line for a long time also. When Dunhill decided to end of life most of its pipe tobacco blends Peterson picked them up. So, @Majorrich should look for Peterson Nightcap. The only problem is that they are now only available in tins. Peterson stopped bulk production of the Dunhill blends.

McClelland going out of business was a huge bummer. They made some really great products. Sutliff has replacements for a couple of McClelland's products like Stoved Virginia, but not many.

Sutliff has been around for quite a while and makes some really good stuff.
Gotcha. I am still really new to all this but I knew I'd heard something about those.

Picked up an oz of this to try out from my local lounge. Unfortunately I didn't have time to try it while I was there.
20200119_171333.jpg

It smells really good though.

im sure I have a couple great GLPease blends made before the Latakia Fire. Those are in the missing box. I have plans to move a chair out to the three season along with a kerosine space heater. Certainly I’ll be allowed that space. “Just no new pipes.” Were the exact words.

Hat trick! Day number three going to the cigar lounge. I won't be staying long, however. I am meeting friends tonight.
IMG_20200120_163523051_BURST000_COVER.jpg
Giving this Mr. Brog No. 34 Bulldog a first spin with some Orlik Golden Sliced. It is a nice little smoker that takes a 9mm filter. One thing that makes it somewhat unique is that it is made from a pear wood root rather than briar.

Mr. Brog is one of the largest pipe makers in Poland. They make briar pipes, but much of their production is pear wood. Pear wood doesn't smoke as cool as briar, but it does impart an interesting note to the tobacco.

If you like just a straight tobacco flavor, you should give the Golden Sliced a try. It is a pressed Virginia flake that is a bit sweet and tastes a little of grass or hay. I thought it would be a good way to break in this bulldog and start building the cake.

Speaking of things that are unique...

Since I am a fan of odd-ball things, I decided to finally pick this up. I first saw it in a pipe smoking video years ago on YouTube. This is what got me interested in Mr. Brog's pipes.
IMG_20200120_163652960.jpg
IMG_20200120_163709923.jpg
IMG_20200120_163750811.jpg
IMG_20200120_163808856.jpg
IMG_20200120_163844824.jpg

This poker is friggin' huge! The bowl is about the size of a soda can. The chamber looks like it would hold an entire cigar's worth of tobacco.

I am not going to be breaking this in today. I think it is going to take a good four to six hours to smoke an entire bowl. However, with the thickness of the pear wood bowl, it should have no heat problems.

Speaking of things that are unique...

Since I am a fan of odd-ball things, I decided to finally pick this up. I first saw it in a pipe smoking video years ago on YouTube. This is what got me interested in Mr. Brog's pipes.
View attachment 15430
View attachment 15431
View attachment 15432
View attachment 15433
View attachment 15434

This poker is friggin' huge! The bowl is about the size of a soda can. The chamber looks like it would hold an entire cigar's worth of tobacco.

I am not going to be breaking this in today. I think it is going to take a good four to six hours to smoke an entire bowl. However, with the thickness of the pear wood bowl, it should have no heat problems.
You’ll get a nice workout from that thing lol.

Back