The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Smoke Lounge

I read on a pipe forum that there are some similarities between Frog Morton cellar and SPC plum pudding.

What do you think?
@ksblazer - ok, first off I have about the same time smoking a pipe as you I believe (only a few months) and I don't think I have a very refined palate for picking out the individual components and subtle flavor differences , so keep that in mind when reading my opinions...

After smoking them a day apart I would say yes they do have some similarities. I believe this is from the Latakia that is in both blends giving them a bit of a smokey flavor/aroma, but I don't think that the Plum Pudding is a replacement for FMC, in my opinion it is not that close. I felt that the FMC was a little smoother while the Plum Pudding was a little bolder with a more little more pepper and slightly more complex (maybe?). That is not to say it was better though, as I think I like the FMC a little more. Some of the differences may have to do with age also as I purchased the Plum Pudding recently and I believe the FMC must be older as it has been out of production. Anyway that's about as good of a comparison as I can give you at this point.

Have you tried any of your new tobaccos yet? I have a few new ones as well as a new pipe coming Friday.

@ksblazer - ok, first off I have about the same time smoking a pipe as you I believe (only a few months) and I don't think I have a very refined palate for picking out the individual components and subtle flavor differences , so keep that in mind when reading my opinions...

After smoking them a day apart I would say yes they do have some similarities. I believe this is from the Latakia that is in both blends giving them a bit of a smokey flavor/aroma, but I don't think that the Plum Pudding is a replacement for FMC, in my opinion it is not that close. I felt that the FMC was a little smoother while the Plum Pudding was a little bolder with a more little more pepper and slightly more complex (maybe?). That is not to say it was better though, as I think I like the FMC a little more. Some of the differences may have to do with age also as I purchased the Plum Pudding recently and I believe the FMC must be older as it has been out of production. Anyway that's about as good of a comparison as I can give you at this point.

Have you tried any of your new tobaccos yet? I have a few new ones as well as a new pipe coming Friday.

Thanks for the comparison. As I was reading it. I thought about the age difference as far as smoothness goes. I have to say that the FMC was the smoothest bowl I've smoked so far.

I haven't gotten around to trying any of the new tins yet.

I kinda have a dilemma. Wether I should smoke up what I have already started with. Or should I move move on to trying these new tin's I bought?

I'm kinda a use what you got first and don't let what I'm currently using dry up and go to waste. The tins haven't been opened and in theory should only get better with age. But I kind of made this mistake with some shave soaps and creams and wish I would have moved on and tried other brands sooner.

What do you guys think?

smoked a bowl of Haunted Book shop this evening in the Missouri Mearschuam country gentleman.

It was enjoyable. But as I mentioned a couple days ago. I think English blends have taken over as my preference right now.

Thanks for the comparison. As I was reading it. I thought about the age difference as far as smoothness goes. I have to say that the FMC was the smoothest bowl I've smoked so far.

I haven't gotten around to trying any of the new tins yet.

I kinda have a dilemma. Wether I should smoke up what I have already started with. Or should I move move on to trying these new tin's I bought?

I'm kinda a use what you got first and don't let what I'm currently using dry up and go to waste. The tins haven't been opened and in theory should only get better with age. But I kind of made this mistake with some shave soaps and creams and wish I would have moved on and tried other brands sooner.

What do you guys think?

Well, I certainly understand wanting to use up what you have and not wasting it, that absolutely makes a lot of sense. You should absolutely do what works for you.

However, for me, I bought some tobaccos to try that I just don't care much for (mostly aromatics) as well as a few other that are just "meh" for me. I know it would take a long while to smoke up some of those and truthfully there are some I will probably never finish and either give them away or toss them eventually. So what I did was buy a case of small mason jars and lids, and when ever I open a sample or tin I put the tobacco in a mason jar with the lid on tight and store them in a drawer out of the sunlight and this seems to keep them reasonably well and they haven't dried out yet.

Bottom line for me is that I think pipe tobacco is a lot like shaving soap --- there are just so many really good ones out there that I would rather not use ones that are inferior or I don't like. For me life is too short to smoke bad tobacco (or use bad shave soap). And I like the ability to switch things around and have a nice variety to choose from.

I'm kinda thinking this as well.

I'm not really interested in smoking any of the aromatics that I have.

If anyone is interested? I'll pay them forward with some other tobacco I have.

Saw that pic of the Pembroke Esoterica that OpusX posted and recalled getting some in my sampler.

Another pipe arrived in the mail today. So I loaded it up with the Esoterica and gave it a try.

Here it is:

20201015_164954_HDR.jpg20201015_165004_HDR.jpg

@ksblazer that is an interesting pipe, who is the maker?

It caught my attention when I was shopping around on the bay.

It's called a Trailblazer metal shank Dublin pipe.

I like the looks and the metal shank stays cool on it. Smokes as good as any other pipe in my collection. So I'm happy with it.

I paid $28 on a buy it now sale and it shipped for free.

Nice purchase

Early morning pipe is on my to buy and try list.

What kind of pipe tobacco is in the bag?

Just smoked some Peterson's Elizabethan in the Savinelli 507 bulldog.

This came in the sampler I bought. I recall trying it before. But knew I either really liked it or didn't like it at all.

Well I smoked the entire bowl. It burns kinda fast. But I just couldn't get into the flavor profile. Was earthy, spicy and old lemon peel.

Don't see myself purchasing a tin of this blend.

Stopped by the tobacconist and picked up 1OZ of Sutliff Oriental English blend.

Let a bowl size amount dry out for an hour and loaded it in my Kirsten.

Really enjoyed this one. Seemed to change flavors as I smoked it down. Look forward to trying it again, to see if its something I might want to stock up on.

Back