The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Smoke Lounge

@Fenster

Thanks for to recommendation and the pictures. I'll definatly be on the lookout for some jars.

I think I'm about through with the sampler I received. What I have left is either 2-3 bowls of blends I don't like or half a bowl or left of stuff I do.

So I'm on the lookout for some bulk blends to enjoy on a weekly basis and jar some up to see how it will age. As well as trying out those tins I bought.

Won some more pipes on the Bay. So hopefully I'll figure out what I like and get get a really nice Briar in a year or two.

Nice pipe! Simple, understated, but somehow still elegant!
Thanks Gear, that's one of my knock around pipes. I bought 10 pipes for $.50 each plus $5 shipping ($10 total) from RNA Treasures. These were all new/unsmoked vintage pipes but they all needed fixed (obviously they were factory rejects at some point). Most of them, including the one above, had a hole in the shank that needed repaired and they all had voids that needed filled. But once they were fixed up, stained, and buffed they look pretty good. I ended up salvaging 7 out of the 10. 6 of them smoke very well, while 1 has a poor draw. Not great pictures, but here are some of the ones I fixed up.
50_cent_pipes[1].jpg20200722_093442[1].jpg 20200701_211708[1].jpg

Thanks Gear, that's one of my knock around pipes. I bought 10 pipes for $.50 each plus $5 shipping ($10 total) from RNA Treasures. These were all new/unsmoked vintage pipes but they all needed fixed (obviously they were factory rejects at some point). Most of them, including the one above, had a hole in the shank that needed repaired and they all had voids that needed filled. But once they were fixed up, stained, and buffed they look pretty good. I ended up salvaging 7 out of the 10. 6 of them smoke very well, while 1 has a poor draw. Not great pictures, but here are some of the ones I fixed up.
View attachment 38468View attachment 38469 View attachment 38470
I’d say you got a hell of a deal, lol! What does one do to repair such holes? Did you have to do anything else to finish them? They look great!

I’d say you got a hell of a deal, lol! What does one do to repair such holes? Did you have to do anything else to finish them? They look great!
Well, I repaired them a few different ways. the Dublin pipe in the first pic had a large hole (too big to fill) that went all the way threw, so I cut the bad section out and glued in an piece of "Cracked Amber" Kirinite (an acrylic), clamped it and waited for glue to cure. Then re-drilled the draft hole, sanded, buffed and stained it. The 2 pipes in the middle both had smaller holes that went all the way through the shank so I filled them. To do this I placed 1 layer of Teflon tape on a metal pin that was the same size as the draft hole, then I slid the pin down through the draft hole. I then took one of the pipes from the bunch that could not be fixed and I sanded the heck out of it until I had a pile of Briar wood dust. Then mixed the briar wood dust with super glue and quickly fill the holes with the mixture. Once the glue was dry I removed the pin, sanded, stained and finished them. The fill areas are noticeable but they just look like blemishes in the briar. The little pipe in the last picture had a large hole and bad cracks in the shank, so I cut half the shank off and added back a piece of dark green acrylic to the end of the shank (its hard to see in that low quality picture). This piece was glued and clamped on, after glue cured I re-drilled the hole sanded, buffed, and stained it.

I really had no idea what I was doing, I was just kind of making it up as I went along, but for what I payed I figured it was good practice and if I would have gotten 1 good pipe out of the whole bunch I would have been happy and it would have been worth it. As it turned out I got 6 good ones and 1 that is smokable but I am going to take a shot at fixing the draft issue when I find the time and ambition.

Ok guys, so i got a couple pieces of Briar off the bay a couple weeks ago. My plan is to make 2 bent pipes. beyond that i have not settled on what shape i want to aim for, but looking at what i can see of the grain i think something like an apple or brandy may look really nice. anyone have any thoughts or ideas i may not have considered?

Briar 1.jpg

Briar 2.jpg

These would the 4th and 5th pipe i've made, but the first from Briar. The first 3 were made from some red oak i had laying around. the first one i was a bit off with the drilling and gave it to a co-worker to use as a prop piece for their steampunk stuff. the other 2 came out pretty good and i kept one and sent the other to Doug to get the opinion of someone who knew a lot more about pipes that me. aside from smoking a bit hot it actually smokes better for me than the $30 czech pipe i picked up from a local tobacconist. I started with the idea of a Dublin but ended up going with more of a poker so it'd be a sitter. This is the one i kept. I think some of the heat issues may be due to the direction of the grain since it heats up mostly at the front or above the shank.
1603504680330.png

Ok guys, so i got a couple pieces of Briar off the bay a couple weeks ago. My plan is to make 2 bent pipes. beyond that i have not settled on what shape i want to aim for, but looking at what i can see of the grain i think something like an apple or brandy may look really nice. anyone have any thoughts or ideas i may not have considered?

View attachment 38596

View attachment 38597

These would the 4th and 5th pipe i've made, but the first from Briar. The first 3 were made from some red oak i had laying around. the first one i was a bit off with the drilling and gave it to a co-worker to use as a prop piece for their steampunk stuff. the other 2 came out pretty good and i kept one and sent the other to Doug to get the opinion of someone who knew a lot more about pipes that me. aside from smoking a bit hot it actually smokes better for me than the $30 czech pipe i picked up from a local tobacconist. I started with the idea of a Dublin but ended up going with more of a poker so it'd be a sitter. This is the one i kept. I think some of the heat issues may be due to the direction of the grain since it heats up mostly at the front or above the shank.
View attachment 38598
Nice looking cuts! I’m a fan of the looks of the churchwarden style myself.

Back