The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Smoke Lounge

Nice looking Kirsten. Really like the bowl. I'm sure your friend will like it as well.

I'm in the mood for some pipe tobacco tonight. But not sure what I'm in the mood for yet though?

Totally missed this part. English or oriental would be my suggestions.

Example. GL Pease Quiet Nights (I enjoy this the most). Great morning bowl today.

View attachment 37302

I think what made it a tough choice was that when I started pipe smoking 5 months ago. I read that a lot of pipe smokers started out with aromatics.

So after reading their taste profiles. I bought a few and realized I liked smoking a pipe.

Other blends from a sampler I got were enjoyable. But I thought I just preferred aromatics. The others seemed like an ok change of pace.

Then I thought I may like Burley blends just as much. Really like haunted bookshop. But then some of the English blends started appealing to me.

Now it seems like I much more prefer the English blends and find myself smoking them the most.

Just tried smoking some Lane 1Q and just couldn't get into like I used too.

I guess it was good that most of the tobacco I bought was 1oz samples.

Planned on smoking some Amphora Original yesterday. But didn't get around to it.

Got off work early today and just finished a bowl of it in the Kirsten.

It was an enjoyable smoke. But still prefer an English blend with a little Latakia in it.

From the description. The quite nights should really appeal to me. I think my local tobaconist stocks it too.

@ksblazer it sounds like we are walking the same path at the same time, except I have drifted toward Virginias and Virginia/Perique's lately (for the moment at least, :p ). I just finished a tin of C&D Bourbon Bleu that I really liked, I will probably order more soon. However I am still all over the map exploring, for tonight I have queued up some Peter Stokkebyes PS 52 Proper English, and last night was a bowl of Stokkebyes PS 41 Cube Cut (Burley blend).

@ksblazer it sounds like we are walking the same path at the same time, except I have drifted toward Virginias and Virginia/Perique's lately (for the moment at least, :p ). I just finished a tin of C&D Bourbon Bleu that I really liked, I will probably order more soon. However I am still all over the map exploring, for tonight I have queued up some Peter Stokkebyes PS 52 Proper English, and last night was a bowl of Stokkebyes PS 41 Cube Cut (Burley blend).

I hope to run back into this one guy that worked at the tobacco shop near my home.

Here is reason why. I was ready to try something different than the 3 aromatics that I had. From reading around and trying a few 2-3 bowl samples that were sent to me. I was on my way to buy some haunted book shop and another burley or blend heavy with burley.

Got an ounce of the HB and asked the guy what other burley I should try. He tried to sway me towards VaPers and English blends. I was kind of insistent on a Burley and picked up the Amphora Original.

He sold me what I wanted but told me most people gravitate towards English and VaPers after a while.

Not that I regret my purchase that day. But I sure wish I would have picked up a couple of his recommendations. I think one was the Stokkebye Proper English. He let me smell the tobacco and I told him it kinda has a scotch like smell to it.

After reading a bit on the pipe forums. I decided to take his advice and give the PS PE a try. I was kind of surprised how much I liked it.

@ksblazer haven't tried any of those yet, will be curious to hear your thoughts on them. I looked at the Mississippi River but ended up buying a tin of Plum Pudding instead.

@ksblazer haven't tried any of those yet, will be curious to hear your thoughts on them. I looked at the Mississippi River but ended up buying a tin of Plum Pudding instead.

They had plum pudding as well. But wanted $5 more for it than the Mississippi River.

I think I can get the Plum Pudding for $5 less at another place in town.

I read on a pipe forum that there are some similarities between Frog Morton cellar and SPC plum pudding.

What do you think?

@ksblazaer that is a great selection. Slowly smoked in your Kirsten I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

They had plum pudding as well. But wanted $5 more for it than the Mississippi River.

I think I can get the Plum Pudding for $5 less at another place in town.

I read on a pipe forum that there are some similarities between Frog Morton cellar and SPC plum pudding.

What do you think?
@ksblazer , sorry I must have missed seeing your question. Not sure my palate is developed enough to give a good answer at this point. I really need to do a side by side or back to back comparison. I just had a bowl of FMC this evening and I plan on having some Plum Pudding tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow I will have a better idea how similar they are and can make a comparison.

Back