The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Family Pets Thread

We have 2 dogs and one cat. My wife and son want more cats, but they are both very allergic.
This is Valentine. My kids saw her at the shelter and had to have her. We had no idea what she was. We were guessing a medium sized dog. The previous owner just left her and her sisters in a box on the step of the shelter.
This is a few weeks later. Almost as long as my legs. We had taken her to the vet and found out she is a Great Dane mix.
This is her now. She is 18 months. According to the experts, she is still growing too. That is one of those extra large pet beds that she is dwarfing.

Could have told you when I looked at the size of the paws in the first pic you were in for a big food bill. Beautiful dog !

What a beautiful dog! I love me a pound pup but man...I bet you were not expecting something that big! Look at the size of that noggin! It takes a good person to pick up a rescue!

Mutts and pound dogs can make the best pets!

Loving this thread. These were my girls, Honey and Domino, both gone now, and not a day goes by that I don't miss them. Sorry I haven't been around this past week, but the brutal heat and humidity we had made me physically ill and I was kinda bedbound. This is my first day up and about, thank goodness.

The loss is real. They are family members!

Glad you’re on the up and up Sue.

What beautiful family members all! KJ. your Monkey looks so much like my cat Spunky, who spent 18 happy years with me and tormenting his canine sisters. He used to hide on dining room chairs as a kitten, and when one of the dogs walked by, he'd swat them with an open paw, which is how he got his name.

Thanks for the good wishes, Don. I'm getting there.

Sue

What beautiful family members all!

I concur Sue, great animals all around.

Up next are my fish. I’ve always considered myself to be a bit of a fish. I love swimming, but when I go to th beach, I’m always the one with a mask and flippers, looking under the water. Looking for fish, crayfish, seashells, and rocks. Always the explorer.

I had a few fish tanks as a kid, but recently got back into it. My first was this 29 gallon.

It has 10 fish in it. The first is a very large 6-7” goldfish. This tank resides in my daughter’s bedroom.
It also has 5 smaller goldfish, 3 Cory Cats, and 1 Chocolate Albino Plecostomus.

Sorry, fish are hard to photograph.

Then, due to a friend moving, I acquired a 75 gallon and a 120 gallon tank.

Here is my 75 and houses a Blue Gill, Sun Fish, and a large Plecostomus.

You see, I have always loved native fish, more than tropical fish. And freshwater tanks are easier than saltwater anyway.

Awesome tanks KJ!

The next time I’m at the FIL’s I’ll have to take a picture of his tank for you, he’s got a 150 gal salt water tank with some coral and assorted tropical fish.

And my third tank is a 120 gallon (I think). It also houses native fish. But this time, mainly bass. My sons are big into fishing, so I really wanted to get something we would all love watching.

i have 4 small largemouth bass, 3 hybrid striped bass, a couple bluegill, and a very large Plecostomus.

The next time I’m at the FIL’s I’ll have to take a picture of his tank for you, he’s got a 150 gal salt water tank with some coral and assorted tropical fish.
Cool, always liked looking at those tanks, just never really had the desire or ability to have one,

Cool, always liked looking at those tanks, just never really had the desire or ability to have one,

They are rather fickle and time consuming. He’s had to restart a few times from moves.

Your tanks are very cool though. Love the Plecostomus! The tank is spotless lol!

I too used to do fish tanks. But sadly in our house we get way too much sun and don't really have a good place to put one. So I sold my 50 gallon tank. I used to breed mollies, guppies, and sword tails. I sold them to the local pet shops. It was a lot of fun.

I love this thread and will slowly introduce the 4 pets in our house. Up first is Hazel. She's 5 years old and a Lynx Point Siamese. We recused her from her previous owner who said she was too grumpy to stay with her as a kitten. She said she either she leaves to a new owner or they would take her to the pound.

Now 6 months before this ad my cat of 19 years old passed away from kidney failure while I held her in my arms. When I went online and read that ad I had no choice. I drove 3 hours south and took her home. I wasn't ready for another cat, but she loves me and we love her. It was really hard because my previous cat was also a Siamese but happy to have her in our family.

Chad, I have no idea how to tell cats apart, seems way different than dog breeds. But your hazel looks very similar to my Monkey. But Hazel is d finitely lighter in color. Mine was a stray, so no idea what the mother/father were.

Chad, I have no idea how to tell cats apart, seems way different than dog breeds. But your hazel looks very similar to my Monkey. But Hazel is d finitely lighter in color. Mine was a stray, so no idea what the mother/father were.

Hazel's breed is a very large breed. She long and tall. Weighs in at 15 pounds and vet says she could gain a pound and be okay. I am 6'3" and when standing Hazel can stretch up and easily touch my belly button.

I think your monkey is a Grey Tabby. And you rescuing that little guy is just pure awesome!

Here's Hazel as a kitten and this is what her coat looks like in the winter. It literally changes with the seasons.

Hazel's breed is a very large breed. She long and tall. Weighs in at 15 pounds and vet says she could gain a pound and be okay. I am 6'3" and when standing Hazel can stretch up and easily touch my belly button.

I think your monkey is a Grey Tabby. And you rescuing that little guy is just pure awesome!

yeah, I’m sure he is a common tabby. I don’t know much about cats. Just thought they looked similar. Hazel looks very cool!

Well Hazel jumped down to go cackle at birds through the window. And Calypso jumped up to assume the warm lap while the kids are napping.

Caylpso is a calico breed. My wife really wanted another pet after our previous dog we had to put down because the cancer was spreading and quality of life was way too low. So we searched the local humane society website and my wife wanted a cat with orange in the fur. While looking we saw that some calico kittens had been dropped off so we headed down. Well all where gone but one. And we where told that she has something wrong with her. They described it as down syndrome. She definitely is not 100% all there but she's very playful and loves to cuddle. Her condition also effects her sight she can't judge distances real well so sometimes she'll jump too far and hit the wall. She also doesn't have real good feeling in her paws. We where told that aside from her condition she should live a normal life and she has up to this point. She's just a little special and we love her. The humane society didn't even charge us because they where more concerned in finding a good home. Rescues are so rewarding.

Here she is today.
And here's a kitten pic from 3 years ago

Rescues are the best. Nice story Chad, Calypso sounds great.

OK our menagerie:

Snickers & Fly. both at the Rainbow Bridge now, but two of the bestest dogs I have ever had Snickers was a Goldie Shepherd mix we rescued from the Humane Society when she was a pup, and Fly was a Pure Bred Scottish Border Collie we also rescued from New Mexico.

Our current Beaties - Ruger & Maui/ they are cousins and we rescued them from underneath a house Ruger is a Applehead Chocolate Seal Point Siamese, and Maui ( 31 lbs ) is a Lilac point Siamese & Part Lion we think, LOL

And our Latest brood

Pepper, Cinnamon ( not shown, she was terrorizing some Cardinals that came into her yard ), Top, Dink, Hoot, Spot 4 Aerucanas, two Road Island Reds.

and yes the DUCKS!, the evil plan from my wife. These are only 8.5 weeks old Daffy the Pekin Female, and Spaz the Rouen Female whom broke her leg a month ago and was re-integrated into the flock yesterday. She has a little hitch in her giddyup now, but doing great.

We would like to get a couple more dogs, but life is just too busy right now. Certainly they will be rescues, when the tome comes. Great idea for a thread.

Back