The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Well damn, I don’t feel like I was as productive as I thought now. :ROFLMAO:

Way to bang it out man!

We should have a "How many typos did Sam make today?" game. *sigh*

Oh, the day's not over yet. Just finished BBQing some Costco farmer's sausage for SWMBO and a nice veggie burger for myself. Doc says my cholesterol is at the high end of normal, low end of high, so it's a good thing that I actually LIKE these M&M veggie burgers! :ROFLMAO: Truth be told, I have preferred them over meat burgers for a few years now.

Oh, .... and I just put in the 2nd load of laundry.

We should have a "How many typos did Sam make today?" game. *sigh*

Oh, the day's not over yet. Just finished BBQing some Costco farmer's sausage for SWMBO and a nice veggie burger for myself. Doc says my cholesterol is at the high end of normal, low end of high, so it's a good thing that I actually LIKE these M&M veggie burgers! :ROFLMAO: Truth be told, I have preferred them over meat burgers for a few years now.

Oh, .... and I just put in the 2nd load of laundry.
Funny we did the same veggie burger menu...hmmmmm.

Convocation for my college was this morning, but I did not attend as I have "been there, done that" 33 years ago already. Man, that makes me feel old. 🧙‍♂️ One of my classmates did let me know that I was recognized for having the highest marks in the accounting program I took. Where's my monetary reward? I live in the real world. LOL

I did have an interview this morning with the finance director of a mid-sized local company and immediately got bumped into a follow-on second interview with the director of operations, so I think that went well. They did acknowledge that the had passed over my resume for other positions that I had applied to earlier as they felt the positions were too junior for me, given my business background. I did ask how they thought I should "dumb down" my resume to go from running my own small IT consultancy for 13 years to apply for entry-level accounting positions, and their response was that they really didn't know. And there's the Catch-22 of a career shift. I think I alleviated any concerns they might have had about the job being "below me" as we discussed my reasoning for switching careers, but one never knows for sure. Time will tell.

Convocation for my college was this morning, but I did not attend as I have "been there, done that" 33 years ago already. Man, that makes me feel old. 🧙‍♂️ One of my classmates did let me know that I was recognized for having the highest marks in the accounting program I took. Where's my monetary reward? I live in the real world. LOL

I did have an interview this morning with the finance director of a mid-sized local company and immediately got bumped into a follow-on second interview with the director of operations, so I think that went well. They did acknowledge that the had passed over my resume for other positions that I had applied to earlier as they felt the positions were too junior for me, given my business background. I did ask how they thought I should "dumb down" my resume to go from running my own small IT consultancy for 13 years to apply for entry-level accounting positions, and their response was that they really didn't know. And there's the Catch-22 of a career shift. I think I alleviated any concerns they might have had about the job being "below me" as we discussed my reasoning for switching careers, but one never knows for sure. Time will tell.
Hope they have the good common sense to hire you on Sam

They did acknowledge that the had passed over my resume for other positions that I had applied to earlier as they felt the positions were too junior for me, given my business background.
That’s one of my biggest job hunting peeves. I wouldn’t have applied for a job if I thought I were too good for it.

I’m glad they came back around and you shot em straight!

I fully understand and appreciate their concerns. Due diligence would make them have second thoughts about hiring someone whose resume indicates they held positions much higher than the one being applied for. What if you hire the person and 2-3 months later they leave because they want to return to making the money they were used to earning? You have probably lost the other good/great candidates that you initially interviewed. It's a dilemma for both sides.

I hope my story that I made a conscious decision to go from a job paying "up here" in IT but requiring 60-70 hr workweeks with no vacation for a few years to an entry-level "begin at the beginning" position in accounting for a better work-life balance strikes a chord. The two directors I spoke with did seem to be able to relate to what I said. Plus accounting has been something I have loved for years, doing my brother-in-law's taxes for him when I was 12.

I've always been a number cruncher. If I recall properly, I think I had to do his previous year's return to see if my numbers matched what he had already filed before he would let me do them. (Trust but verify: Always a good thing.)

I hope my story that I made a conscious decision to go from a job paying "up here" in IT but requiring 60-70 hr workweeks with no vacation for a few years to an entry-level "begin at the beginning" position in accounting for a better work-life balance strikes a chord.
I'm sure it does (y)

Interesting game at the chess club last night. For the first time I can remember ever doing so, I played a Morra gambit against a 2000+ player and he erred in the middlegame complications resulting in me going up a piece for 2 pawns. Then in the endgame, he swapped off his last piece to enter a B+N for me vs his 2 connected passed pawns. I managed to win both pawns and then had to demonstrate that I knew how to mate with a B+N (which I did, of course). First time I have ever had to do so in a game, but I did give a lecture on it at a local club a few years ago, so I darned well better know how to execute it. :ROFLMAO:

Back