The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Not a great deal of excitement going on here, but I did finish my bottle of Floid Suave. Liked it enough that I am now moving on to my just over 2/3-bottle of Floid Amber. (y)

Workwise, the job search continues. Luckily, I am not like many new grads and have the capability to pay my bills without having to forego meals.

Is Suave one of the unobtainiums now, like Black? Or just decided to try Amber next?

Sorry you’re still having to be on the job hunt, I hope something pops up soon!

A chap was moving a few years ago and posted a PIF of a bunch of stuff. I was in the neighbourhood and he left a big box o'goodies on his front porch for me. Both Floids and some wonderful Czech Pitralon (@HandleBarberDave 's favorite AS!) as well as some soaps were in the box.

A chap was moving a few years ago and posted a PIF of a bunch of stuff. I was in the neighbourhood and he left a big box o'goodies on his front porch for me. Both Floids and some wonderful Czech Pitralon (@HandleBarberDave 's favorite AS!) as well as some soaps were in the box.
And you didn’t move next to him for the next time he decided to move?

Ah, swinging by for the semi-monthly update. Always nice to make space for new purchases.

Well, truth be told, I am running out of room in my soap briefcase and now have to push it down to close, plus store a few soaps under the sink, which is normally just for my daily kit (razor, blades, alum, and current soap+AS). Ergo I needs must either:
a) work through things at a faster pace than I am acquiring them, or
b) stop acquiring things

Well, truth be told, I am running out of room in my soap briefcase and now have to push it down to close, plus store a few soaps under the sink, which is normally just for my daily kit (razor, blades, alum, and current soap+AS). Ergo I needs must either:
a) get a bigger briefcase, or
b) find more hiding spots
agree

Believe it or not, my soap briefcase is what I used for work when I finished college (for the first time) back in '86.

giphy.gif

I have a soap briefcase that is completely full of Williams!

Umm..."B" is not an option. And Why isn't there a "C?" c. New Construction

Well, my latest CT sure is spot on. It was assigned after I posted a profile update a few weeks back after scraping out the polymeric sand from our backyard stonework (it was getting some mossy growth) and redoing it. Strangely enough, a few days later (after misting it upon installation), it was still either soft and spongy or just plain and simple sand. *ugh* The 1/2-bag that I had must have gotten exposed to some moisture and turned bad. Anyways, bought a new bag, rescraped the old sand out again and re-applied. MUCH better this time.

So much so that I routed around and found my old interlock sealer and just had to wait for 3 nice days with no rain (1 for the stones to dry before sealing and then 2 for the sealer to dry afterwards). That happened this weekend. Whee! Nice weather!!!

Alas, my old sealer ran out about 1/3 of the way through and Homiy-De-Pot (owned by Homiy da Clown) didn;t carry that brand any more, so I went with their Behr stock which is also supposed to be high/ultra-gloss. Seems to be a slight difference in the products and the old stuff let the natural stone browns/greys come though but the new stuff fades the colours and almost looks as if their was moisture in the stone (which I know isn't true because there was only about a 1 hour lag between applying the old and new sealer). *Ugh* once again.

At least the patio demarcation line is pretty much where the table will go, so that should help break-up the (lack of) transition.

And my weekend of joy does not end there.... sadly.

Went in the bathroom yesterday and found that the adhesive for SWMBO's undermount sink in the ensuite had let go and the sink was now about 3-4 inches under the countertop. Upon checking, yup, no horizontal braces and not even any tiny cheap brackets, just simple adhesive. *triple ugh* and the house is only 7 years old.

Things like are like a punch in the gut. For the price we pay for housing up here these days, you would expect better quality installation, but corners get cut all the time. 'Tis a sad state of affairs.

Sink is now remounted and we'll see how it sets up. Have dowels bracking it right now and will add permanent bracing using plumber's stapping and fix it to the vanity walls tomorrow. I am afraid to do it now as I would probably knock out the dowels and have to start over. BTW claning up silicone and glue off of a sink is a pain.

Other than that, all goes well. Later this evening I will have a Guinness and see what's up in The Continuing Adventures of Safety Cat, courtesy of my brother Rich.

Back