The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

No special treatment except for a shovel of dirt on top after we close down the garden in mid-October. Rotten, squirrel-nibbled, green, and those with bottom rot all go in there.
image.jpg

No special treatment except for a shovel of dirt on top after we close down the garden in mid-October. Rotten, squirrel-nibbled, green, and those with bottom rot all go in there.
View attachment 35664
So you basically put the "bad" tomatoes in a bucket and place soil over the top. Then you just let it fester until next spring. What do you do then? Do you just distribute the contents to the garden and then tomato plants grow? Or do you find seeds and separate and then germinate?

So you basically put the "bad" tomatoes in a bucket and place soil over the top. Then you just let it fester until next spring. What do you do then? Do you just distribute the contents to the garden and then tomato plants grow? Or do you find seeds and separate and then germinate?
I dump them in one of our box gardens and then start transplanting as they pop up; many even get planted into the flower beds in the front yard. It's always fun to discover which seeds actually make it through the winter and grow. We get loads of heirlooms, roma, marzano, cherry, etc..... and enjoy each and every type.

I have friends that pick, wash and dry the seeds. That's way too much work. They're plants. Nature has found a way for them to survive already. We also don't use any chemicals, just some cows & sheep (and Sam?) manure in the spring to ready the beds.

Thanks Sam! I think I might try this for the following garden after this upcoming one. I was going to put in a winter garden this year...but with the baby coming...it's just a little too much.

Back