The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

In other news, our fridge was fixed today. :D Cost almost as much as a new one, but saving a few hundred (repair-vs-replace) is always a good thing.
BTW Don't buy LG fridges. Apparently there were two class-actions in the US as they are the sole manufacturer to use their type of compressor, which seems to have a design flaw.

In other news, our fridge was fixed today. :D Cost almost as much as a new one, but saving a few hundred (repair-vs-replace) is always a good thing.
BTW Don't buy LG fridges. Apparently there were two class-actions in the US as they are the sole manufacturer to use their type of compressor, which seems to have a design flaw.
Um, why fix it instead of replace it then :unsure:

Yup we have a family friend who had 5 service calls in the first month of buying it. She just turfed it!

Yikes! Yeah, LG is the same company as Goldstar. I not-so-fondly remember their walkmans and radios in the late 80s. The super cheap alternative if you didn't want to / couldn't cough up the bucks for a Sony / RCA / Panasonic.

Sad to see things haven't changed. I had thought, for a long time, the name change was so they could turn a corner with better products... Guess it's just an escape from a history their still writing?

Sheesh.

We had a repair guy that said you don’t want the ones made in such and such country. I asked which brands are made there. “All of them”. He said certain models of brands would be made there. Some models in the US and there is no easy way for the consumer to know which ones. So just buy the prettiest one. They all suck now.

We had a repair guy that said you don’t want the ones made in such and such country. I asked which brands are made there. “All of them”. He said certain models of brands would be made there. Some models in the US and there is no easy way for the consumer to know which ones. So just buy the prettiest one. They all suck now.

Ya know, he's got a point. Nothing is made to last anymore. It's all either (1) built with so much technology that breakdowns are inevitable or more often (2) it's built intentionally to break, allowing repairs / replacement (and the sustainability of an industry).

In Apps, they say 'If you aren't the consumer, you're the product'. Well, it seems no matter what, your the future retirement of some company. They don't seem to work for you, anymore... You work for them.

Sorry you had to go through that, @woodpusher . Hopefully you'll get good returns on your repairs. Going to go find my lucky rabbits foot now. :ROFLMAO:

@mrdoug psst.... it's #2 for both hardware and software for years now. Sadly, we live in a "disposable" society.

What can I say, i'm a glass half full type of guy (yeah right!)... Offering the benefit of the doubt . Lol. 🤣

Sadly, you are absolutely right.

Back