The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Sam you've earned it. Now perhaps you can find a nice park and play chess in person. Just wear a mask please

My last retirement started around 4 years ago and lasted 18 months before I went back to school (wifey's direction, not my choice). I was 49, her retirement was far our of her visualization range, and I had no excel tables and charts to show #s to her. Now I'm within striking distance of 55 (late next year), many of her colleagues started retiring 2-3 years ago, she is close to her magic number at work, and I build out the previously missing charts to show that I wouldn't need to be a street beggar to put food on the table.

As Mr. Shakespeare once wrote, "All's well that ends well"

On to the next chapter in life for me (as soon as work finishes). Yes, it will be heavily chess-oriented for me but perhaps not in person for a bit.

Last edited:
Sat down with my 2 Directors (I double-report) and the CFO on Monday to ensure we arrive at a mutually agreeable date to ensure a smooth transition. There is a lady returning from Mat leave in mid-Sep and I will train her when she returns. Friday SEP.25th will be my last day.

The provided 6 week's notice also allows them to potentially recruit a direct replacement as well. Plus, it's not like I was taking another job and needed a hard-stop date in 2-3 weeks. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Sat down with my 2 Directors (I double-report) and the CFO on Monday to ensure we arrive at a mutually agreeable date to ensure a smooth transition. There is a lady returning from Mat leave in mid-Sep and I will train her when she returns. Friday SEP.25th will be my last day.

The provided 6 week's notice also allows them to potentially recruit a direct replacement as well. Plus, it's not like I was taking another job and needed a hard-stop date in 2-3 weeks. Sounds like a win-win to me.
They couldn't ask for a better scenario all things considered 👍

Finally received notice from the library to pick up the 2nd book I was waiting for a few days ago.
1597521871579.png

In the meanwhile, I've read the other one four (4) times, looking for anything I might have missed.

This book is written in a style that just doesn't flow for me. I actually had a hard time trying to figure out what are the six steps he is recommending. :unsure: I must say that I did notice that he kept saying to consult your retirement income investment advisor, which is different from your investment advisor. I agree on the difference, but he kept going back to "you and your advisor" blah blah blah quite a lot rather than actually laying out a plan and recommending that it might be wise to consult an advisor.

Most of this book was a throw-away for me, especially as for the reason he recommends taking OAS+CPP early, as well as over-complicating things by getting into post-retirement investment vehicles where you really do NEED an advisor. The other book was much more along the lines of a conversation identifying various things that can be done (and why or why not to do them) and down to earth in its language.

Where this book does shine is in the back third where there is a fairly good discussion about the tax implications of various investment instruments and how to parlay those into retaining as much of your hard earned cash as you can.

All in all, the other book was much more useful (and enjoyable to read) while this one has a few good chapters on post-retirement taxes.

Has either made me rethink things? Well, yes and no. They firmed up my understanding of guaranteed -vs- variable income and have given me something to think about for annuities, but we have around 10 years before needing to make decisions on that aspect of retirement income.

6 more weeks to go🕺

Finally received notice from the library to pick up the 2nd book I was waiting for a few days ago.
View attachment 32704

In the meanwhile, I've read the other one four (4) times, looking for anything I might have missed.

This book is written in a style that just doesn't flow for me. I actually had a hard time trying to figure out what are the six steps he is recommending. :unsure: I must say that I did notice that he kept saying to consult your retirement income investment advisor, which is different from your investment advisor. I agree on the difference, but he kept going back to "you and your advisor" blah blah blah quite a lot rather than actually laying out a plan and recommending that it might be wise to consult an advisor.

Most of this book was a throw-away for me, especially as for the reason he recommends taking OAS+CPP early, as well as over-complicating things by getting into post-retirement investment vehicles where you really do NEED an advisor. The other book was much more along the lines of a conversation identifying various things that can be done (and why or why not to do them) and down to earth in its language.

Where this book does shine is in the back third where there is a fairly good discussion about the tax implications of various investment instruments and how to parlay those into retaining as much of your hard earned cash as you can.

All in all, the other book was much more useful (and enjoyable to read) while this one has a few good chapters on post-retirement taxes.

Has either made me rethink things? Well, yes and no. They firmed up my understanding of guaranteed -vs- variable income and have given me something to think about for annuities, but we have around 10 years before needing to make decisions on that aspect of retirement income.

6 more weeks to go🕺
...or you can retire to Portugal with us..and we’ll live like Kings...

Back