The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Busy lunch hour for me today:
- dropped paperwork off at the Bank
- mailed something to Revenue Canada to get back some $$ from a re-assessment of my now-closed consulting corp.
- picked up a retirement planning book from the library (one more pending inter-branch shipment)
- picked up some Natas, Chorizo bread, sweet bread at Nova Era (@Somnos)
- picked up 2x WhiteClaws to try after work (Black Cherry and Lime, all out of Mango)
Check,
Check, always good getting cash back from CRA...
Check...good call...
Checkidy, Check-Check!!! Sam crushing the Portuguese goodness.....
... :oops:

external-content.duckduckgo.com.gif

Busy lunch hour for me today:
- dropped paperwork off at the Bank
- mailed something to Revenue Canada to get back some $$ from a re-assessment of my now-closed consulting corp.
- picked up a retirement planning book from the library (one more pending inter-branch shipment)
- picked up some Natas, Chorizo bread, sweet bread at Nova Era (@Somnos)
- picked up 2x WhiteClaws to try after work (Black Cherry and Lime, all out of Mango)
Which of these was in your service as Ed's personal assistant?

Finished reading the Investment book just now. Picked it up yesterday during lunch, started reading it after work and our evening walk, and just finished it it (I'm off work today :) ).

The only thing that it has given me something to mull over (and run through spreadsheets) is whether an annuity purchase makes sense even in times of low interest rates. For the record, I'm not a fan of annuities unless you have very few amounts of guaranteed/secure income during your retirement years. Still, it is something to consider as I function as a friendly pro-bono investment/retirement planner/advisor for more than just my wife and I, and not everyone's situation is the same (e.g. pensions and savings). I always tell them that my advice is worth every penny they paid. 🕺

Every things else in the book is something I have had as part of "the plan" for 20+ years. I'll probably re-read it on the weekend again. Yes, my life is exciting. 🤪
Let's see if the other book (waiting on notification from the library to pick it up)

1596829113690.png

BTW: Learning something new is not a requirement for me to judge whether something was worthwhile. "Knowledge Confirmation" is also a perfectly acceptable result.

As long as folks are putting their hard earned into something that is building up at some level, it’s good! (y)

There are oodles of books on how to accumulate $$$ for retirement. This one was interesting to me as it deals with how to draw it down.

Pulled out my Man -Card, slapped it down on the table and TOLD MY WIFE ...

Honey, I am asking your permission to tell work that I am retiring!

... and it was approved! Woot! 🕺

I'll talk with my Director next week and will accommodate whatever timetable they need to find someone and for me to train them up... even if it takes until the end of the year (but I won't tell them them that part).

Pulled out my Man -Card, slapped it down on the table and TOLD MY WIFE ...

Honey, I am asking your permission to tell work that I am retiring!

... and it was approved! Woot! 🕺

I'll talk with my Director next week and will accommodate whatever timetable they need to find someone and for me to train them up... even if it takes until the end of the year (but I won't tell them them that part).
That was a short lived career, Congratulations !!
You spent more time in school for that than at the job didn't you 🤪

@Dave in KY Actually, I don't know yet about your spoiler :unsure: but that's a great observation/guess!

School: 2 year program that went straight through, no breaks, so 16 months (4 semesters)
Work: Just over 1 yr 1 month right now, so I figure it'll be close.

Back