The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

You could extend your stay by repeatedly exclaiming how explosive your trip was when at the terminal...

Home once again. Flight was good and we arrived 30 mins early due to strong tailwinds. Clearing customs was a breeze and we got expedited due to me treating the customs chap running the queue line as if he were a human. On guy dropped the divider in the "snake line" by the self-declaration kiosks and we didn't know it; we were going through the gap/entrance and customs said "No, go the right way" and after a few "sorry, sir. Which way is the right way?" questions (it was noisy), we entered the line. When we got close to him again, I smiled and said "Hello again, sir! Long time no see!" (with a genuine smile, as I'm mostly a happy dude). Thought I was in trouble when he said "come this way, sir" as I could not see his eyes (sunglasses) and he processed us lickety-split and we jumped about 70 in the queue. Probably the only time my wife has not chastised me for making small talk with any official anywhere. 🕺

We got home around 4:00am and just stumbling out of bed now to put on some coffee, sort clothes, and start laundry. Vacations are nice, but sleeping in your own bed afterwards is always wonderful!

Glad you made it home safe Sam! I hope the vacation was just what the doctor ordered and I hope you don't need another vacation from your vacation!

I find making honest small talk an being generally happy with those that are doing a job and are otherwise not happy can be quite beneficial.

Welcome home, Sam. Did those huge ceramic pots you brought back with you make it through in one piece?

On Sunday, my wife and I head out to the tip of the Baja peninsula for a week in Mexico; a good friend is joining us, so she shouldn't be bored while I read (chess books, perhaps?) by the pool. 🤪 This will be our first non-Canadian vacation in 3 years, as I spend the last 2 years back in college full-time.

Shavewise, I'll be bringing my Injector, some Floid Amber, yucky Williams, and my Yaqi Sagrada. Nice and simple (just like me!) :ROFLMAO:

My wife was a big fan of the El Chapo and other drug cartel miniseries. Wonder what she'll say when she finds out that Sinaloa is on the other side of the bay. She'll either be excited or crap her pants. :unsure:
Color me envious... When the Mrs. and I vacate we normally just go to either the "Redneck Riviera" aka Gulf Shores or the Smokey Mountains...

From the Geek Files.....

The 2018 Canadian Correspondence Chess Championship (aka KE74) is now in the books and I can officially call myself 'da champ'
... or was that 'da chump' or given the number of monkeys around here, maybe 'da chimp' is more appropriate. 🤪
1580258615053.png

Here is the final cross table of the double round-robin event
(SB is the tiebreak, which we discussed in depth a while ago, putting many of you to sleep :ROFLMAO:)
1580258854766.png

This is my first time winning the title, having participated since KE66 in 2010, where I finished near the bottom of the pack in this single round-robin event.
1580259265181.png

Hopefully, the ongoing 2019 event will go my way as well. There are only four remaining games and I could finish clear 1st, tied for first, or in 2nd place, depending on how these last few games play out. My hope is to repeat as champ/chump/chimp but nothing is for sure at this point.
1580259362260.png

Additionally (if you're still reading, you're a glutton for punishment or lead an even more boring life than I do :ROFLMAO:), the 2020 edition started today. We'll see how this one shakes out in a few years.
1580259837528.png

Thanks for putting up with my nerdiness. You guys are great. I can talk about chess with shaving guys, but vice-versa doesn't work. What can I say? They're geeks! 🤓

Last edited:
Back