The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

May.10 37C/Astra SP(1) .............. Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Clubman milk

Knowing that today was a gardening day, I skipped the morning elliptical workout. Good thing too! After a half an hour pulling weeds (my new normal bonus exercise in the yard), and then a few hours working on garden box#1 (about 30' long), I broke for lunch and learned we were going for an hour walk with our buddies. Whee! Non-back-breaking activity!

Afterwards, back to the grind and another few hours on garden box#2 , which is the same size as #1. We're in a pie shaped lot, so those boxes are about 8-10' wide at one end and about 2' wide at the other, but at 30' long, ..... That's a lot of box!

A very late supper, followed by an even later shave than normal at just before 9pm. I went back to the slant as I was quite scruffy with over 36 hrs of growth that Lon Chaney would have been envious of.

Pooped once again, I am.

another few hours on garden box#2 , which is the same size as #1. We're in a pie shaped lot, so those boxes are about 8-10' wide at one end and about 2' wide at the other, but at 30' long, ..... That's a lot of box!
Gee, gardening is such great fun! One day I may replant a small one. :)

May.11 37C/Astra SP(2) .............. Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Clubman milk

Another super late shave tonight, coming in after 10pm. I was so tired after garden work for the past few days and this morning, that I didn't even go to chess club this evening. *ugh*

A quick match of Chess Master. The computer is needed to complete the day.

View attachment 110859
I never once, in many many tries, won a game of chess. It's more complex than particle physics. Bridge, I love and got pretty good at in my younger years, but it's a simple game compared to chess. It was Chessmaster 2000 that convinced me of the hopelessness of my chess endeavors. I saw this jpg and my blood pressure went up!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I never once, in many many tries, won a game of chess. It's more complex than particle physics. Bridge, I love and got pretty good at in my younger years, but it's a simple game compared to chess. It was Chessmaster 2000 that convinced me of the hopelessness of my chess endeavors. I saw this jpg and my blood pressure went up!

I’ll admit…I rarely won either in a game versus another human being. Against Chessmaster 2000, never! But it was fun to try 😂

May.12 37C/Astra SP(3) .............. Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Clubman milk

Finally!! A morning shave once again ... even if it was ~11am, it's still morning! Woohoo! My back is still hurting, so I plan on taking it much easier with the garden work for the next two days to recover , as we'll then be heading to Ottawa for an overnighter to take in the tulip festival with some friends.

May.12 37C/Astra SP(3) .............. Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Clubman milk

Finally!! A morning shave once again ... even if it was ~11am, it's still morning! Woohoo! My back is still hurting, so I plan on taking it much easier with the garden work for the next two days to recover , as we'll then be heading to Ottawa for an overnighter to take in the tulip festival with some friends.
Enjoy your trip!

From the Dandelion Festival to the Tulip Festival. Don't go digging up the tulips by mistake! Question: how are tulips different from roses?

Answer: most roses aren't yellow.

May.13 37C/Astra SP(1) .............. Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Clubman milk

A morning shave again today! ... And this time, before 9:30am!! Woohoo!

Today, I will just some light gardening to ensure I am not a broken down, old man for tomorrow's journey to Ottawa. Being just an "old man" works just fine for me :) It should be a fun 2-day outing with our buddies who just recently got back from a week in Los Cabos, Mexico. I'm sure they'll have lots of pics and stories to share over (hopefully) patio meals and beer.

May.14 37C/Astra SP(2) .............. Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Clubman milk

Up and at 'em nice and early on Mother's Day, as we head out to the Tulip Festival in Ottawa. Even my wife is up and wide awake pre-7am! I'm not taking any shave kit for the overnight stay, so tomorrow will see and evening shave after we get home.

May.14 37C/Astra SP(2) .............. Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Clubman milk

Up and at 'em nice and early on Mother's Day, as we head out to the Tulip Festival in Ottawa. Even my wife is up and wide awake pre-7am! I'm not taking any shave kit for the overnight stay, so tomorrow will see and evening shave after we get home.
Have a great trip!

May.15 37C/Astra SP(3) .............. Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Clubman milk

We got back from our overnight trip to Ottawa and it was a relief to chop down almost 40 hrs of whisker scruff after tonight's shower. The trip was pretty nice (company was GREAT!) but the Tulip Festival itself was a little underwhelming for all of us. I guess our expectations of what 300,000 tulips would like like was a little higher than reality.

Back