The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

Good lookin bird! Happy thanksgiving Eric!

Thanks Chris!
I love your razor.

What is that headless, dead turkey doing to your grill?! 😲
Thanks Bruce, I love that razor as well. Some may call it hubris to call a razor "World Master" and have a design of a cowboy riding a razor on it, but it is a stunner and a performer for sure.

The turkey was unable to communicate it's intentions to me, so I'm not 100% certain, but I'm going to say that it was making itself delicious. As that is how things turned out and the grill offered no complaints, I call it a win. :D

The turkey soup I make with the carcass and leftovers was even better than the original meal. It was a new recipe, and the smokiness imparted to it really kicked it into another league.

Brush: Sorrentino Turquoise
Razor: Inoue Tosuke Kamisori
Soap: CBL Orion Hammam Spa
Aftershave: CBL Aftershave Tonic
EDC: Penhaligon's Savoy Steam

Today's razor both exhilarates and terrifies me. I picked up this kami a ways back, and the seller did an absolutely amazing job honing it. It is a traditional kamisori grind, which makes it a little tougher for me to shave with, especially since I don't break it out often enough to become properly accustomed to it. When proper care is applied, however, it gives a shave that is second to none. Today was one such day, and a few passes with CBL's Orion base as the medium delivered an outstanding result. A fair dose of the tonic and a hefty application of Savoy Steam, and I was perfectly seated in my happy place.

C4ImWOWl.jpg

Brush: Sorrentino Brushworks Shoto Todoroki
Razor: Rockwell 6c
Blade: Wizamet
Soap: Barrister and Mann Atomic Holiday
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Atomic Holiday

Quick post work shave today and first use of Atomic Holiday. I took a quick sniff when it arrived a few days ago, and after shaving with it I can say with confidence that it smells like...

JF.jpg

It smells like Juicy Fruit gum, or maybe like sticking your face in a bag of Life Savers. Definitely the brightest and possibly the simplest scent from Barrister and Mann, and I'm loving it. After a hefty splash of aftershave as it dries down there is a bit more depth complexity to it, but the fruit smells stays strong while it lasts. The performance was top notch, no surprise there, and the shave was fantastic.

ZYrnMWxl.jpg

Razor: Ralf Aust 5/8
Brush: Rubberset 400 knockoff w APShave Gelousy badger
Shave Soap: Ethos Grooming Sandalo Artistico
Aftershave: Ethos Grooming Sandalo Artistico

Time for the monthly journal check in, and picked a great SOTD to do it with. Ok, beginning with a bit of a rant. I stopped purchasing anything that had sandalwood in the name or description a long time ago. That was a decision based on one simple reason. Not a single one of them actually smelled like sandalwood. To be fair it has been a while since I smelled the real thing, but I retain enough of the memory to know that pretty much nothing I've smelled in recent memory even comes close. I have many single note shave creams and soaps. Lavender, grapefruit, and peppermint to name a few. Guess what the lavender smells like? LAVENDER! All three smell like the note they are named for. Not the product of someone trying to recreate a scent from the memory of the time they smelled it when they were 5 years old and had hay fever. And not a cologne scent that doesn't smell like it even has a sandalwood note in it. Whew, ok, end rant. Still here? Hah, sucker.

A quick shout out to The Razor Company for hiring the Flash to work in their shipping department. I got a shipping notification less than 5 minutes after I placed the order, and it arrived the next day(today). UPS rang the doorbell and I had package in hand and was diving through packing peanuts like(insert appropriate simile here). I popped open the lid and smelled real sandalwood for the first time in ages. It was a beautiful moment that was ruined by one of the cats trying to kill a foam peanut that had landed on my foot and leaving three deep claw marks in the top of it. No idea where the other two claws were at the time, but three was enough to elicit a manly bellow that in no way resembled a girl-child being tossed into a pool full of ice.

Limping over to the razor storage box, I grabbed the straight razor that started it all. My first straight, the Ralf Aust. Gave it 40 on the Tony Miller Roughout and headed to the shave den. The scent strength out of the tub is good. Not beastly, but not faint at all. It is moderately thirsty and lathered up easily after about a 20 second load time. The edge on the Aust was pretty good, and the soap was plenty slick enough for a straight shave. The scent stayed steady throughout the duration of the shave, and three passes later I had a nice BBS. I was a bit heavy handed on the trouble spots on my neck so I felt some sting from the alum, but it wasn't too bad. A hefty splash of AS and I am still in my happy place. I smell great and my face feels fantastic. Many thanks to @Dragonsbeard for putting out an accurate smelling sandalwood, and I can't wait to try out the Bay Rum when it comes back in stock.

YrPoAbpl.jpg

Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks for reading and have a great night!

Razor: Ralf Aust 5/8
Brush: Rubberset 400 knockoff w APShave Gelousy badger
Shave Soap: Ethos Grooming Sandalo Artistico
Aftershave: Ethos Grooming Sandalo Artistico

Time for the monthly journal check in, and picked a great SOTD to do it with. Ok, beginning with a bit of a rant. I stopped purchasing anything that had sandalwood in the name or description a long time ago. That was a decision based on one simple reason. Not a single one of them actually smelled like sandalwood. To be fair it has been a while since I smelled the real thing, but I retain enough of the memory to know that pretty much nothing I've smelled in recent memory even comes close. I have many single note shave creams and soaps. Lavender, grapefruit, and peppermint to name a few. Guess what the lavender smells like? LAVENDER! All three smell like the note they are named for. Not the product of someone trying to recreate a scent from the memory of the time they smelled it when they were 5 years old and had hay fever. And not a cologne scent that doesn't smell like it even has a sandalwood note in it. Whew, ok, end rant. Still here? Hah, sucker.

A quick shout out to The Razor Company for hiring the Flash to work in their shipping department. I got a shipping notification less than 5 minutes after I placed the order, and it arrived the next day(today). UPS rang the doorbell and I had package in hand and was diving through packing peanuts like(insert appropriate simile here). I popped open the lid and smelled real sandalwood for the first time in ages. It was a beautiful moment that was ruined by one of the cats trying to kill a foam peanut that had landed on my foot and leaving three deep claw marks in the top of it. No idea where the other two claws were at the time, but three was enough to elicit a manly bellow that in no way resembled a girl-child being tossed into a pool full of ice.

Limping over to the razor storage box, I grabbed the straight razor that started it all. My first straight, the Ralf Aust. Gave it 40 on the Tony Miller Roughout and headed to the shave den. The scent strength out of the tub is good. Not beastly, but not faint at all. It is moderately thirsty and lathered up easily after about a 20 second load time. The edge on the Aust was pretty good, and the soap was plenty slick enough for a straight shave. The scent stayed steady throughout the duration of the shave, and three passes later I had a nice BBS. I was a bit heavy handed on the trouble spots on my neck so I felt some sting from the alum, but it wasn't too bad. A hefty splash of AS and I am still in my happy place. I smell great and my face feels fantastic. Many thanks to @Dragonsbeard for putting out an accurate smelling sandalwood, and I can't wait to try out the Bay Rum when it comes back in stock.

YrPoAbpl.jpg

Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks for reading and have a great night!
Thank you for the detailed explanation about Sandalwood. It’s exactly what I was feeling and what inspired me to make this Aroma blend. To me Sandalwood and Oud are probably the 2 most misused names I see on labels of many personal care products and colognes and perfumes. Two examples. Taylor of old bond street Sandalwood. A nice scent in itself but it smells nothing like real Sandalwood so why is that the name used on the label?

Another Tom Ford Oud Wood. Look at the ingredients and not one drop of Oud or any kind of wood oil. Totally synthetic and it’s not cheap. I think they should come up with a fancy name for the scent but don’t highlight an Aromatic natural ingredient that’s not even in the blend.

I’ll also apologize for the long rant but you struck a cord that harmonizes with my thoughts on the subject.

An thank you for the order! I wish I could get orders out as fast as TRC but it’s just me right now. I can’t seem to find anyone that wants a job.

Sorry about the cat incident hope the foot heals quickly.

Best regards

Fantastic shave and props to Dragonsbeard’s soap 7 scent talents!

I agree with you on realistic scents - I’m a citrus freak - one of my favorite frags - D&G Light Blue Forever is a fav specifically because of how realistic their grapefruit note is.

Have a wonderful weekend Eric!

Shave off epic, Frodo taking the ring to Mordor avoiding the attack cats, proportions!

Only one attack cat...this time. The other wasn't in the room and probably hid when he heard the yell lol.

Thank you for the detailed explanation about Sandalwood. It’s exactly what I was feeling and what inspired me to make this Aroma blend. To me Sandalwood and Oud are probably the 2 most misused names I see on labels of many personal care products and colognes and perfumes. Two examples. Taylor of old bond street Sandalwood. A nice scent in itself but it smells nothing like real Sandalwood so why is that the name used on the label?

Another Tom Ford Oud Wood. Look at the ingredients and not one drop of Oud or any kind of wood oil. Totally synthetic and it’s not cheap. I think they should come up with a fancy name for the scent but don’t highlight an Aromatic natural ingredient that’s not even in the blend.

I’ll also apologize for the long rant but you struck a cord that harmonizes with my thoughts on the subject.

An thank you for the order! I wish I could get orders out as fast as TRC but it’s just me right now. I can’t seem to find anyone that wants a job.

Sorry about the cat incident hope the foot heals quickly.

Best regards

Lol I think we've established that you and I are cut from the same cloth when it comes to the importance of details...and diving for the last cannoli in the box. 😜

Fantastic shave and props to Dragonsbeard’s soap 7 scent talents!

I agree with you on realistic scents - I’m a citrus freak - one of my favorite frags - D&G Light Blue Forever is a fav specifically because of how realistic their grapefruit note is.

Have a wonderful weekend Eric!

That is another frag that I desperately need to pull the trigger on. Best Light Blue out IMO. Smells like someone crushed a grapefruit, rind and all.

I am of the same opinion, as both of you gents, on Sandalwoods. I have got to order this before it sells out.

I know The Razor Company was sold out of all the Ethos new releases in about an hour. Not because I went back to the site an hour after my initial order to purchase the Bay Rum or anything...

FTFY.

True sandalwood is my favorite scent ever.

It is SO good! I think the rarity helps at this point, but the scent just makes me happy. As if you could smell Van Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl instead of just hearing it.

I’m what Rick James would call a…

View attachment 103163

what-no-jake-peralta.gif

Back