The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

Nice choice Eric! Man...50 bottles of top shelf juice? What a selection that must be!

Nice choice Eric! Man...50 bottles of top shelf juice? What a selection that must be!
They didn’t all come with top shelf price tags lol. You can find a lot of great frags for a lower price point, especially once they’ve been around for a while. I’ve definitely been geeking out on fragrances for a while.

AWESOME Eric. Good seeing you around.

Thanks Dave! It’s good to be around.

nice Eric and 50 that is a wonderful travel starter kit, please see the CEC for your mission

Baby steps, my friend.
Baby Steps Pffft!

giphy.gif

Enjoy a day or 2 to yourself and then get started on 2nd anniversary stuff, just kidding. Hope you enjoy some down time.

Thanks Dave! 3 days of pretty much sitting around has me nicely refreshed.

I was doing some aimless driving in the area where I grew up and ran across a TJ Maxx. I knew they had frag prices as low as most online discounters, so I popped in to see what was available. There were a surprising number of good options, and when I looked them up on my phone the prices were indeed as low as any other place I could find them. I chose a couple cheapies and hit the door running before I went all out and caused my wallet to start a rebellion.

4hw2oQq.jpg

I forgot how much I enjoy the smell of CK Shock. I only really have one complaint about it, and that is that the packaging is so misleading lol. It is an overall darker scent, a somewhat sweet, almost gourmand tobacco. Not at all what you think when you look at the neon green-on-black bottle. It does smell fairly synthetic on the dry down, which has been a deal breaker for me with some frags, but it doesn't bother me at all with this one for some reason. Kenneth Cole Black was a blind buy. It was hard not to for the price, and I'll be trying it out tomorrow.

Got back from vacation a little while ago, and had a few packages waiting for me, with the following:

A bottle of Houbigant Fougere Royale and Creed Spice & Wood. The Creed came from cmh737, and he included several samples of other frags with it.

A2NKlMM.jpg

A bottle of Avon Tai Winds aftershave in the original box.
z9jZIRP.jpg

and several OZ shaving soap samples from the pass around:

odRNpc5.jpg

Don’t listen to these guys Eric, they don’t know...that is a FANTASTIC haul!

Non-shave # ?

Razor: Ralf Aust 5/8
Brush: Maggard 2-band badger
Soap: Oz Shaving Co Woodsman
Aftershave: Paladin unscented balm

EDP: Creed Spice & Wood

Still have the beard going, but since I despise neck beard with a passion I keep it nicely trimmed and lined up. Broke out some new software today with one of the Oz samples from the pass around.

A nice snurdle of the soap was placed in my favorite lather bowl, a gift from @Dagwoodz some time back, and I bowl lathered for the first time in ages. It didn't take long to whip up some decent suds. It could have been better, but that was due to user error. It really has been too long since I used a traditional straight, and my skills are a bit rusty. I ended up with a DFS and a nick right on the adam's apple. Nothing that a shot of the fantastic Paladin balm infused with a spray of Spice & Wood couldn't soothe.

I can't give a proper assessment of the soap's performance yet, so I'll do that with either a DE or my Feather SS, but I can say that the post shave feel was very good. The name pretty much sums up the scent. Several wood notes combined, and I liked it, though probably not enough to purchase a full tub.

Creed Spice & Wood, a frag that was obtained from @cmh737 , followed up the shave nicely. It opens with a fantastic blast of bergamot, citrus, and apple. It lives up to it's name during the dry down as clove, patchouli, and birch start coming to the front. Cedar and Oak are present throughout it's life, and are very present after a couple hours. Longevity is pretty decent for me, about 6-7 hours, and sillage is moderate at best. It's got a classic vibe, but with a nice modern twist, and I really like it.

lhwdu5K.jpg

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Back