The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Movie Thread

So I've been tearing through my collection of dvd's and blurays since we moved.....helps that I had to take them off shelves, put them in boxes, move them, unpack them and put them back on shelves. So I watched all 4 Shrek films.....the first 2 are genius....the second two are how Mike Myers payed his mortgage. I also watched the first 2 Karate Kid films. Again....great storylines, great character development. I'm glad I only saw (and didn't buy) the third film and haven't seen any of the follow ups or remakes.

I'm going to re-watch all of the Pirates of the Caribbean films over the weekend.

Ok....all 5 Pirates movies in one day is.......difficult. So I did it in 2 days. The first 3 are excellent then there's a bit of a dud....and the 5th one is again excellent.

Steven’s post made me realize I haven’t seen a single one of the pirate movies. We fixed that yesterday by watching the first one. Not bad. I liked the humor and effects. I was okay with not moving on to the rest of the series but my wife said she wants to know what happens. So they are on the list for “someday”.

Steven’s post made me realize I haven’t seen a single one of the pirate movies. We fixed that yesterday by watching the first one. Not bad. I liked the humor and effects. I was okay with not moving on to the rest of the series but my wife said she wants to know what happens. So they are on the list for “someday”.
The first one is the best one anyway. 2 and 3 are just OK. After that it’s blech.

Went to the movie theater with the fam for the first time in a while to see Miyazaki’s latest film - The Boy and the Heron.

I feel like I need another viewing to absorb all that it put out there. Absolutely top quality animation that one would expect from Ghibli, in that very classic, signature style. However, don’t go into this expecting your whimsical My Neighbor Totoro or fantastical Howl’s Moving Castle.

This is by far his most complicated story so far, at least from what I’ve seen of his. Many complex themes and ideas to grapple with alongside the characters, woven together in both direct and sometimes in very abstract or symbolic ways.

I feel like it was in many ways an excellent movie…but my brain was churning leaving the theater.

We took the kids to go see Migration. We usually go see whatever new animation movie is out after Christmas while the kids are on break. This was the dumbest movie I've seen in awhile. The best part of the film was the Minions short before it started second best part of the movie is when the credits started and the torture ended.

I'd rather have gone to see the new Wonka movie.

Being who I am, I just finished watching a 90 minute documentary on the creation and evolution of Dimensional Fund Advisors.

Kewl Beaz!
1706754828222.png

We took the kids to go see Migration. We usually go see whatever new animation movie is out after Christmas while the kids are on break. This was the dumbest movie I've seen in awhile. The best part of the film was the Minions short before it started second best part of the movie is when the credits started and the torture ended.

I'd rather have gone to see the new Wonka movie.

We saw Wonka this afternoon. A great fun movie with plenty of fun shenanigans. It did not intrude on the iconic Gene Wilder classic, it was a self contained story that used bits of music and allusions to tie to it. I had to remove my hearing aids because the theatre felt it needed to crank the volume to epic levels.

Reading a few posts in this thread this morning and I am wondering, how many of you actually go to the theater right now. I personally haven't stepped foot in a movie theater in, I think, at least four years? Maybe five? And this is a guy who LOVES the movie theater experience. Sure the price of the ticket and concessions doesn't make it easy to go to the theater any more...but to quite honest...there have been very few movies over the last five years that I have been truly excited to see. It seems there are very few original ideas in Hollywood right now. Most movies seem to be a Super Hero rehash, something ripped from a comic book, a remake, or a sequel. Yeah I am sure there are movies that are really good that don't fit in these categories...but I think you all get the idea. I have fallen into the lazy man's movie watching and wait for it to come out on streaming service.

So...with that being said...is there something on the horizon that you are really looking forward to seeing in the theater? Just curious.

So...with that being said...is there something on the horizon that you are really looking forward to seeing in the theater? Just curious.
Mother Cabrini

But we maybe go to the movies once or twice a year now. We used to do the movie club through cinemark but a majority of the films coming out these days we have no desire to watch, for different reasons

Reading a few posts in this thread this morning and I am wondering, how many of you actually go to the theater right now. I personally haven't stepped foot in a movie theater in, I think, at least four years? Maybe five? And this is a guy who LOVES the movie theater experience. Sure the price of the ticket and concessions doesn't make it easy to go to the theater any more...but to quite honest...there have been very few movies over the last five years that I have been truly excited to see. It seems there are very few original ideas in Hollywood right now. Most movies seem to be a Super Hero rehash, something ripped from a comic book, a remake, or a sequel. Yeah I am sure there are movies that are really good that don't fit in these categories...but I think you all get the idea. I have fallen into the lazy man's movie watching and wait for it to come out on streaming service.

The last movie I saw in the theater was Interstellar in 2014. Would have liked to have seen Oppenheimer while it was playing but never got to.

Mother Cabrini

But we maybe go to the movies once or twice a year now. We used to do the movie club through cinemark but a majority of the films coming out these days we have no desire to watch, for different reasons
Actually I might actually go see Mother Cabrini. And for that matter...I probably should have seen "The Shift" in the theaters as well.

Actually I might actually go see Mother Cabrini. And for that matter...I probably should have seen "The Shift" in the theaters as well.
We have been real happy with Angel Studios. Lots of great kid content also, our kids love Tuttle Twins and Daniel. Between Angel Studios and BentKey our kids love the content.

As to the movies Angel Studios has been putting out Megan and I have really enjoyed them. Mother Cabrini I am VERY excited about for personal reasons. Should be a great film. We got a gift card to cinemark for Christmas. I told Megan we are saving for Mother Cabrini!

Back