The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Movie Thread

It's the 21st of April so there's only one movie to watch tonight..

They seaside village of Antonio Bay is about to learn the true meaning of the word "vengeance." For this seemingly perfect town masks a guilty secret... a past steeped in greed and murder. Exactly 100 years ago, a ship was horribly wrecked under mysterious circumstances in a thick, eerie fog. Now, shrouded in darkness, the long dead mariners have returned from their water grave to exact a bloody revenge. Can this waking nightmare be stopped, or will the fog keep rolling in... to kill and kill again?

Anyone watch "The Batman" yet? I have no idea what the critics said about it (and don't really care) or what viewers thought of it, but I have to say...I really enjoyed it. It definitely could have been shorter (I have a hard time finding the time for a three hour movie these days), but I really thought this version of Batman was really good. Less hokey and more "realistic" (?). Robert Pattinson actually played Bruce Wayne/Batman in a manner that I really have always perceived what those characters should be. I thought Cat Woman could have been done a bit better, but since I have a thing for Zoe Kravitz...I will let it slide. And Collin Ferrell as a Italian style mob boss...BEST...PENGUIN...EVER!!! I hardly recognized him. And way to make the Riddler freaking scary as hell as a serial killer/terrorist! Anyway...my thoughts? This is the darkest and grittiest Batman yet. I hope WB keeps with this style. Goes along fairly well with the Joaquin Phoenix version of the Joker. Very interested to see what this franchise turns out next.

Watched Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness. Its a mixed bag. Good action, plenty of multiverse weirdness but it feels like its setting up the next half dozen movies and not servicing the film you're watching.

Oh man! The first 5 notes of this transport an 80s kid right back! Loved all the references to the first movie.

Crazy number of Marvel movies being announced at ComiCon! Lots of new content and some reboots!

Noticing the Movie Thread is waning compared to the TV thread. I wonder if that is because the new TV streaming shows might be more in-depth and complete than movies lately as well as maybe just not as many people are going to movies these days. I will admit, there are fewer and fewer movies these days that really thrill me.

Just watched this last night…..

1661108633412.png

It’s ironic - I did not appreciate BJ Novak’s character in The Office until I read a couple of his books and how hilariously funny his is and has IMO perfect dry humor delivery - along the lines of masters like Bob Newhart.

This is movie is a perfect mix of drama and humor and (no spoilers) has an ending that is both apropos and completely surprising - you will not see it coming. And Ashton Kushner delivers a really good performance as well.

Anyway food for thought.

Back