The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

My coffee guy got in a couple of peaberry coffees. Those are ones where only one bean is in the fruit instead of two. In theory, they are supposed to be a little sweeter as all the energy of the fruit goes into that one bean. I got some Kenya peaberry and tried it this morning. I wouldn't be able to say it was specifically different from other coffees, but it was very fruit-forward.
I was once able to get a very nice peaberry from Doi Chaang, Thailand that was some of the best coffee I've had. And though you're still able to get coffee from there, it's not the same.

I’m finding the lighter roasts too acidic for my taste and am trying to find the balanced darker roast that tastes rich without tasting harsh. My everyday brew is one of the Whole Foods house blends in a Full City roast, and it’s a fine cup. In my subscription shipments, I’m looking to have my mind blown.

Nice thread here. I recall when Starbux was offering one free coffee on your birthday. I went one birthday and asked for a "Regular Decaf With Cram". He looked at me and said "That's it???? This is your birthday man, get something fancy!". I said "Well, that is what I'd like". He got it for me, but I guess I was too "old-school" fir him. They need to be trained in handing people like me, I'll tell you that right now(oh I see I just did, lol)

Those are nice, and like you our counter space is slowly being eaten up by "Stuff" so the Veto monster is very specific, LOL I need to experiment with the Moka Pot more, we could not get it right and it sits under the counter. My wife got me into this, as I was a 1 cup a day of anything resembling coffee as I was "brought up" on Lackland AFB coffee which was brewed in 1947 and still flows today, I think is was a joke from the Roswell Aliens, LOL. My wife does think she created a monster and there is no "light AD" with me. It is "Go big or Go home" ROFL. So I keep exploring as you do.
I haven't seen the word "eXpresso" yet. I hope I don't.

Have you experimented with a more coarse grind?
At this point, no. I worry that I’d get a thinner brew that was more acid than richer extracted oils. I have some darker roasts coming in the subscription, and we’ll see how that goes first.

I also realize that the coffee itself is outstanding in its own right, so my whining about acidity is more a case of princess and the pea.

I’m finding the lighter roasts too acidic for my taste and am trying to find the balanced darker roast that tastes rich without tasting harsh. My everyday brew is one of the Whole Foods house blends in a Full City roast, and it’s a fine cup. In my subscription shipments, I’m looking to have my mind blown.
Wouldn't MEDIUM be a good balace?

Now I have an electric grinder at home and got very used to using it during my time at home caused by the modern plague. This makes hand grinding at work seem even more tedious and it wouldn't be right of me to ask my staff to do it for me. Though, I might rethink that. But as a solution, I bought containers that are marketed as 2.5oz push-up paper tubes. Seems like they are meant for packaging soft cosmetics where you can push up on the bottom cardboard disk to bring more product to the opening. Though, I'm not sure what you would package in cardboard that would be soft enough to do that with but not soak into the paper. Any-hoo, I glued the push disk so it won't move and these are the perfect size for 20g of ground coffee. The "top" to is it another tube so it's very unlikely to slide off far enough anything can spill in my work bag.
AB96CE6A-DF70-49CD-9E6C-48D8263CCE3A.jpeg

Now I have an electric grinder at home and got very used to using it during my time at home caused by the modern plague. This makes hand grinding at work seem even more tedious and it wouldn't be right of me to ask my staff to do it for me. Though, I might rethink that. But as a solution, I bought containers that are marketed as 2.5oz push-up paper tubes. Seems like they are meant for packaging soft cosmetics where you can push up on the bottom cardboard disk to bring more product to the opening. Though, I'm not sure what you would package in cardboard that would be soft enough to do that with but not soak into the paper. Any-hoo, I glued the push disk so it won't move and these are the perfect size for 20g of ground coffee. The "top" to is it another tube so it's very unlikely to slide off far enough anything can spill in my work bag.
View attachment 76117
But the upside to hand grinding is Popeye arms.

okay I don't have a roaster but I was curious if one of the T-fal actifry paddle style air fryers could be used...
These are what im talking about...
f3936b1b-9a53-4758-b056-2a3c609f69ac_1.327518521201965a122df5d257182e42.jpegs-l1600 (1).jpg

I just watched a video on youtube where the person used an air popper to roast coffee and it does a half cup in 5-7 minutes.. I guess that could be a cheap way to try your hand at roasting and see if you like it.... The youtuber bought the popper at good will for 3 dollars so I guess it would be a very cheap way to see if you like roasting your own.

That’s what the air roasters are for the most part. Just not much control with a popcorn popper. But certainly a way to mess around with it.

Back