The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

@Dave in KY
Gourmia GCG205 14-Ounce Automatic 4-Mode Digital Conical Burr Grinder with 39 Adjustable Grind Sizes and Built-In Scale https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B081NWG2K2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_IRGsEbFEXFKRY

That's the one my wife bought me and I love it! Totally worth the entry fee.

And I've been drinking and am not prepared to press the back button... So whoever asked about cold brew I use this

Takeya Patented Deluxe Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker with Airtight Lid & Silicone Handle, 1 Quart https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00FFLY64U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FSGsEbA8JY5FX

Use a coarser grind and let it brew in fridge for about 24-36 hours. Delicious!

What is your brew method and how much of it do you drink in a week?
I just use a Bunn Coffee maker and a 10 cup pot each day.
@Dave in KY
Gourmia GCG205 14-Ounce Automatic 4-Mode Digital Conical Burr Grinder with 39 Adjustable Grind Sizes and Built-In Scale https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B081NWG2K2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_IRGsEbFEXFKRY

That's the one my wife bought me and I love it! Totally worth the entry fee.
This is about max I'd spend but a good option. Thanks !

Fresh cup of Brazilian medium roast this morning. Smooth and tasty. My wife tried a cup and pronounced, "It tastes like coffee." So there you have it. ;)

Other than it just tastes better, once you start changing the origin of the coffee each roast is when you begin to realize how different they all are. all the big brands focus on making their coffee taste exactly the same in every package that they kill any individual character that could really shine.

Currently I'm enjoying a nice cup of some Peruvian origin while catching up on the Cadre and Cadre videos. The flavor of this cup is very smooth and mellow with an earthy cacao note.

67723095-ECAA-4C99-A938-3407865E7E1E_1_201_a.jpeg
EEE47409-A078-4B23-97D6-E0CB773B2896_1_201_a.jpeg
It took me 19 minutes to grind the beans for a full pot. I may get a French press to cut down on the amount of grounds needed. The manual grinder was about $20. The vintage 1980s Krups blade grinder went back on the shelf. Cannot control the grind, and it would wake up my wife in the morning, not to mention terrifying the cats and waking the bird. On top are the recent roasts. CR is Costa Rican, Brz Brazilian. I did two Columbian roasts - the third jar contains some extra grounds.

View attachment 17369
View attachment 17370
It took me 19 minutes to grind the beans for a full pot. I may get a French press to cut down on the amount of grounds needed. The manual grinder was about $20. The vintage 1980s Krups blade grinder went back on the shelf. Cannot control the grind, and it would wake up my wife in the morning, not to mention terrifying the cats and waking the bird. On top are the recent roasts. CR is Costa Rican, Brz Brazilian. I did two Columbian roasts - the third jar contains some extra grounds.

Here's the thing about french press. The coffee to water ratio is higher than with pour over or drip. I think. I use 23 g of coffee to 300 g of water. A 1:13 ratio.

I was going to suggest a Baratza grinder like the Encore or Virtuoso. But if you are looking to stay below $100, then you are good to go. The Encore can be had for $140 though. Not too much off the mark. Amazing customer service.

@Dave in KY, a little late to the party here, but I also recommend the Baratza grinder. I have the Encore and it works great. Very simple on/off function and grind selection. All of the features you need with no frills. Plus, as @MntnMan62 says, it is supposed to a machine for which replacement parts are available if something goes wrong (although I haven't had any issues in the year+ I've had mine).

We also use a Bunn 10-cup most of the week. Grinding your own beans with a quality grinder is the easiest way to drastically improve your home coffee experience with very little extra effort. We got the Encore grinder for my parents for Christmas and they've been completely blown away by the improvement in flavor.

@Dave in KY, a little late to the party here, but I also recommend the Baratza grinder. I have the Encore and it works great. Very simple on/off function and grind selection. All of the features you need with no frills. Plus, as @MntnMan62 says, it is supposed to a machine for which replacement parts are available if something goes wrong (although I haven't had any issues in the year+ I've had mine).

We also use a Bunn 10-cup most of the week. Grinding your own beans with a quality grinder is the easiest way to drastically improve your home coffee experience with very little extra effort. We got the Encore grinder for my parents for Christmas and they've been completely blown away by the improvement in flavor.
Thanks John. It's between Chad's recommendation and the Encore. It'll just depend on funds when I buy it.........and if I can razzle dazzle my wife with terminology convincing her of its superiority 😉😎

Back