The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

@Cvargo the sr500 no longer available. What's the difference between the sr540 and sr800? The one Bruce got seems less complicated to me....... decisions.....

The 800 can do half a pound at a time. The 540 is a newer model than mine. Personally i'd go for the 540. These roasters are practically fool proof

EDIT: there used to be a model that could hook up to a computer... appears they got rid of that one.

Does that have any air blowing through the beans or is it just like a crock-pot with a stirring mechanism?
It's a crockpot with a stirring mechanism. It has a bar to knock down piles of beans, mixing them pretty thoroughly it appears.
I'd go forward with a couple of smaller batches till you get the process down. then you can play with larger batches a little easier.
I'll do half the amount at a time. Cool, my three roasts just turned into six!
Mine has a chaff catcher.
Yeah, it would be nice to have that. Big jump in price though.

Of the coffees I had ordered Kyle seemed to know this was a good one, so I tried it first. This is my 2nd morning having a cup of it. I still need to get adjusted to different flavors in black coffees haven stuck to vanilla creamer for so long. It took a couple of sips to get past the “what the heck is this!?!!?” simply because it’s so different tasting than what I’ve been using. I very much get the berry notes. But unlike the ripe berries of wine, these invoke the thoughts of hard, earthy yet tart berries. After reading the tasting notes on the bag I can see where you would get chocolate as well. More in the nose than the taste, but it’s in both. And again, it’s not chocolate bar. It’s what I would think raw cacao beans might smell like.
BFBF97D8-59F4-4B84-9DA9-3CB1F57683CF.jpeg

The tart notes are my favorite part of that variety. I love how much variety in flavor there is in coffee. I never would have known if not for getting into roasting.

The tart notes are my favorite part of that variety. I love how much variety in flavor there is in coffee. I never would have known if not for getting into roasting.
I guess it's like anything else. You need to expose yourself to a variety to start noticing the differences.

4DBB0C01-26CD-4A85-809B-BDAC566B8D5D_1_201_a.jpeg
OK, the first pot of coffee from the beans was horribly weak. So I made a second pot with 50% more grounds. However, the beans ground unevenly, leaving it a mixture of medium and coarse. Before brewing the second I re-ground the beans, giving me medium and fine grounds. This pot is better, but tomorrow I'll make more with double the original amount, which was 1/4 cup.
Here are the grounds before re-grinding - the medium grains settled to the bottom of the bowl.
C8091FD3-29F3-43B1-BD4C-3670B426D288_1_201_a.jpeg
The Krups blade grinder I've had for 30+ years yields an uneven grind. Do conical burr grinders produce better grounds?

The second pot tastes very good, but I think it'll improve with more grounds. If not, the light - medium roast I did just doesn't give me the flavor I want. I can tell this Guatemalan is flavorful though. Kind of smoky, but not enough body, which could be the roast or amount, or both. I think what I may try with the other sampler beans is divide them each in half and roast them different lengths of time to see which I prefer. I don't like Starbucks' burnt flavor, but want more body. My spreadsheet is going to get a bit more complex. I have the first draft filled in, but need room for more info.

AB866119-7455-464F-88E5-A6A3C2128F39.jpegA43AABBB-3C6C-4DD0-A10F-57F4B656DDEE.jpeg
This the small Zassenhaus grinder I use.
Had it for years. Simple effective and well made. A small lever under the mechanism. Adjusts the how fine or coarse the grind is . Accessible when the drawer is removed.
Very consistent grind.
You guys need to stop helping me find new gadgets to get. Now is want to start roasting coffee.
Fluffy.

Conical burr grinders are way more consistent. If you can get one with a cast iron burr I think they have a more aggressive angle and grind about 2-3 times faster.

I let my beans sit for 48 hours before grinding. I have a Burr grinder that has a scale attached. Got it for Christmas. It's awesome!

Conical burr grinders are way more consistent. If you can get one with a cast iron burr I think they have a more aggressive angle and grind about 2-3 times faster.
That's good to hear. The Krups yielded very coarse-medium on the first pass.
@Graybeard57 one thing I found is I need to let the beans rest for a week after roasting. Two weeks seemed better.
I ground about half the roast yesterday. I'll let the others sit for awhile. No doubt I'll be roasting this weekend.
I let my beans sit for 48 hours before grinding. I have a Burr grinder that has a scale attached. Got it for Christmas. It's awesome!
I've read 2-4 days of airing out is appropriate. Looks like I'll need another column in the spreadsheet. This is getting complicated, but I love it.

Thank you all for your input, gentlemen. This new hobby is quickly becoming an obsession. With the end result being great coffee, it's more than worth it. Fun, too.

Back