The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

Sounds like you need a bigger roaster!
Oh no! It can hold 750 gms, so I'll live with that. A big selling point to me was the fact that it can handle a lb at a time. That'll keep me in coffee for nearly 2 weeks, perhaps a few days less. If I roast each weekend, soon I'll build up a stock which will keep me happy every day.

So I'm finally settling down for a cup of the home roast, this time using a half-cup of grounds. The beans needed more roasting for me to get the flavor I want. Still with thin body, though the acidity and brightness is there, and there is a small range of flavors. I don't think I got all of the flavor from these beans. Can't wait to do some roasting this weekend. :)

So I've stopped prewetting the filter for the "aeropress". I know they recommend you do, but it makes it super easy to rip and I'm tired of losing whole cups to ground just pouring into my cup.

So I've stopped prewetting the filter for the "aeropress". I know they recommend you do, but it makes it super easy to rip and I'm tired of losing whole cups to ground just pouring into my cup.
I've never noticed a real difference honestly. Especially if you are reusing the filter and rinsing it after.

I've never noticed a real difference honestly. Especially if you are reusing the filter and rinsing it after.
Maybe it's that I have the knock-off brand? These came with mine and I don't reuse them and they would never stand up to doing that.

If I'm remembering correctly, Ethiopia is where coffee originated and then spread elsewhere via trade.
I think I read that recently. I haven't had this coffee before. I also ordered today a lb or Kona AA and a high octane blend "Jumpstart" frpm Burman coffee. I have plenty to keep me busy, but perhaps I'll concentrate on just a couple next. If I do a poor job of roasting up some of everything I could end up with a supply of subpar coffee. Hmmm, I'm falling deep into this rabbit hole...

Saturday's First Roast: Columbian for 12:43
2435EF2A-9563-43A0-A744-69353862730E_1_201_a.jpeg
Columbian for 10:14
146941FA-3AC9-4ED8-A745-6E5256061648_1_201_a.jpeg
CC868BDF-2E56-4369-82D4-56BB986E2F57_1_201_a.jpeg
First 1/2 lb went deep into the 2nd crack, evidenced by the color and oiliness of the beans. I got them a little oilier than intended. Second 1/2 lb was stopped shortly after 2nd crack. The cool-down for both was more efficient than last weekend. I recognized 2nd crack better on the latter 1/2 lb; the first 1/2 I wasn't sure. I'm really at the beginning of a pretty steep learning cure, though I'm going to ignore some variables such as washing and drying processes. This stuff can get pretty complicated, so best to keep it simple for now and just buy coffees that interest me, and divide the lb in half as I've done today.

I read that the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe can be pretty finicky, so I think I'll wait a bit before roasting any of it. It apparently tastes best with light or light-med roasts, and is a smaller bean that roasts pretty quickly. I need to get better at recognizing when the 1st crack is complete before trying my luck at it. I'm starting to pick up on the sounds and smells signaling where I am in the roast. The fun continues.

Wow. Just had two cups of the lighter Columbian roast. There is a definite sweetness to it, perhaps what is called "fruitiness". There's a mellowness, perhaps "creamy" flavor? I hesitate to use these terms, as they have a definite meaning to certain coffee drinkers, but they feel close to what I've just tasted. I wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as I have, but it tastes great to me. Tomorrow I'll grind some of the darker roast for comparison. Got to go get another cup...

Split the Costa Rican into 1/2 lbs, and did the full lb of Brazilian. The Brazilian was a much more even medium roast, while the CR roasts are somewhat mixed, light-med and med-dark. We'll see how they taste tomorrow. :)

Content warning: if you're a tea purist, snob, or a guy who yells, "it's tisane!!" at your screen when you read the words "herbal tea", don't unblur the spoiler about my newest beverage invention.

Ok, I discovered that tea cold-brewed in milk is awesome. Black tea, herbal tea, any tea you'd put a bit on milk in. I'm having Sleepytime milk now.

Content warning: if you're a tea purist, snob, or a guy who yells, "it's tisane!!" at your screen when you read the words "herbal tea", don't unblur the spoiler about my newest beverage invention.

Ok, I discovered that tea cold-brewed in milk is awesome. Black tea, herbal tea, any tea you'd put a bit on milk in. I'm having Sleepytime milk now.
I know Google is my friend, but how do you cold brew?

Back