The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Reading Lounge

Blew through the Bridger book in just about a week and am on to this little gem:

1641252013359.png

So far the book has made me sad. This life resonates a lot with me, but I think you get so far into this world that you need health insurance and things to provide for your family. My wife stole this book from my stack while I was reading the Bridger book and she said she saw a lot of me in Matt Graham. That was the highest compliment she could give me because he's quite the man. Enjoying the book a lot as it's working through how he arrived to live the hunter-gatherer lifestyle. He didn't just wake up and get there, it was a process. We are so detached from this lifestyle today. I've seen relatives go out of their mind because they didn't have cell service, you know the equivelant would have been a hunter-gatherer not finding the herd he'd been stalking for days because his clan was hungry.

The Silmarillion is better on the 2nd or 3rd reading. :)

I think it helps to be older when you read it. I read it the first time when I was 12 after I demolished The Hobbit and LOTR. Then again at 18 for a course in college. I picked it up again a couple of years ago. It was torture at 12, academic at 18, and genuinely enjoyable at 50. When you get past the initial slog of Iluvitar and *creation* and into Melkor's fall, then you're cooking with gas.

Christopher Tolkien, in his final acts before he died in 2020, assembled and wrote 3 final volumes, The Children of Hurin, Beren and Luthien and The Fall of Gondolin. These are the definitive texts on 3 of the pivotal tales of the Elder Days. I was given Beren and Luthien as a birthday present, and have since picked up the other two, both of which I will read this year.

We typically read to the kids each night. Just finished the Harry Potter series with them. Next comes the Chronicles of Narnia.

Personally, I am reading The Night Crossing by Robert Masello. I am just starting it, but it is good so far. I have read 2 of his other works so far and enjoyed both of those. I am also reading the Sherlock Holmes stories again.

My oldest son and I have been reading the classis Sonic comics starting at the first issue at his bed time since he was little and we are now on the British produced Sonic comics.. We still have a lot to go. He and I figure we will finish them sometime while he is in college not counting any New ones made during that time because we are still on the classic ones and not up to ANY currently produced ones ...

1641772422074.png

This book is one I just started after finishing the above book Epic Survival. This one might not be for everyone, but it goes through the way people used to live in the Smokey Mountains of NC, VA, and TN back in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Life sure was simpler back then and folks there didn't have much. Life was by the barter system and you seldom went to the store for anything. Kephart's description of the unmolested Smokey Mountains is amazing. The old growth forest sported trees that were anywhere from 6ft to 12 feet in diameter. Some Tulip Poplars had no branches up until 80 feet in the air. Many a log cabins were built with Tulip Poplars for that reason and the fact that it wasn't unusual to find 10-12 foot diameter ones that could be split into fours and hewed into 4 square beams. Life was hard, but I can't help thinking life was better in many ways. One guy was asked what happened when the farmland on steep mountain sides went bad and he replied that they just moved. The author asked if that was a pain to do and he just replied that it wasn't and he'd call the dog and they'd just go. It's a time when a good axe, and a good gun were a man's prized possessions and the whole family worked hard just to live. Today families can't even eat dinner around the table at night let alone gather everyone together to hoe the north field of corn.

Finished the “Bobiverse” series and now on the Singularity Trap
Same Author
Dennis E. Taylor

Back