The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Mystery Traveling Box

Thanks for doing this KJ! Obviously tons of fun and created a lot of excitement for sure.

Example questions (but feel free to provide any feedback you wish):
Was the order of the pass good? Basically going in order across the country, or would you rather it be completely random?
I don't think it needs to be in any certain type of order. Making it totally random or any other way I would think could add a day at most to transit times. I just wouldn't follow the same order as this time.

Were you satisfied with the quality of the goods inside the box? Was there too much of any certain category of goods? Or not enough? What do you wish (generally speaking) there was more of in the box (or had been in there at all)? Obviously it's going to change as it goes, but this will help me better stock it from the get go.
I think you made some good observations that you would have no way of knowing ahead of time. I think certain things like straights, vintage, old brushes have limited appeal, and it could be that people that are into those tend to be looking for something specific or already have what they want. I dunno. The coolest shaving stuff to me is the full side soaps and AS. It's sweet if you hit on one of those that you like, but the bummer is they take up a ton of space. I'm thinking those early on that didn't know what to expect, maybe have a better understanding now seeing what was in it and what people were getting out. Maybe so that everyone gets the same sense, you could do a quick overview of what was in the box when it came back? I assume you'll be changing things around so it really wouldn't be a spoiler for the next box.

What are your thoughts on samples in the box? I saw a lot of samples go in, but not a lot of samples go out. DO you like seeing samples in the box? If there are samples, do you use them, or do you just sniff them and keep them in the box?
I think a few are ok. And wouldn't stop people from adding them. But here is a sneak preview....there is a 99% chance that there will be a pass around fairly soon that is focused solely on samples.

Are Non-shaving items ok? (fountian pens, knives, playing cards, bottle openers, cigars, etc) Or would you rather it be full of strictly shaving items?
This was my favorite part I think. The things that triggered the "oh hey, look at that!" Those also seemed to be the things that you can stick in the gaps to really pack that sucker full.

If you want to participae in the next round of this pass... when would you like to see it start? Not sure how much time off people would like, especially those who just recently had the box.
I personally think it doesn't need to wait longer than past the holidays. It takes quite a while to make the rounds. The only issue would be if people that have already done it feel like they currently have more quality items to put in it. Maybe you could let people sign up and ask to be later in the list if they want a little more time to cycle through things.

The big question is, who is willing to organize the box to Gear this time???

I think I'd enjoy being part of another pass. I'd have more fun this time and likely in the future because I no longer have a thorn in my side the size of a Cadillac.

I really liked the pass around box. It was fun seeing what was in it.

I am primarily a hardware collector, so most of the DE and SE razors that were in the box are ones that I already have. I also have a bunch of vintage straights that are in need of honing. I even have a few brush handles that I want to re-knot. So, this time mainly the software interested me and the non-shaving items. I really liked the non-shaving items. Next time I hope to provide a few more of those.

I did look through everything and had there been more vintage hardware, that I don't yet own, I would probably have taken more of that.

The box was great and I definitely want to participate again. I suggest waiting until January or February to get it started again.

I liked seeing the shaving and non-shaving items. I think the non-shaving stuff added a cool factor to it and I almost tried my first cigar. I was afraid they were expensive and I didn’t have enough items to offset, so I didn’t try it. Maybe I should have just sampled it and put it back in the box 🤪 I was mainly interested in the soap/AS options, but I messed up and didn’t circle back to take a good look at the DEs. That and I should have given a second look to that fountain pen. Who knows what I might be interested in on the next go round.

Anyway, I thought it was a great pass-around and I would definitely be in for a round 2. I don’t have a preference as to the order.

I was afraid they were expensive and I didn’t have enough items to offset, so I didn’t try it.
I am saddened that you did not try something that you were interested in, especially if that was your reason. I tried to convey that I did not care about the value if items coming and going. Nobody needed to worry about an equal value trade, or individual items. I know a few people wavered on items to me via PM, and I always convinced them to just go ahead and take the item. Just because it seems like it was an valuable item.... what if the person that put it in, got it for free??? Now how does that change your opinion on taking said item? It's not all as it appears.

I am saddened that you did not try something that you were interested in, especially if that was your reason. I tried to convey that I did not care about the value if items coming and going. Nobody needed to worry about an equal value trade, or individual items. I know a few people wavered on items to me via PM, and I always convinced them to just go ahead and take the item. Just because it seems like it was an valuable item.... what if the person that put it in, got it for free??? Now how does that change your opinion on taking said item? It's not all as it appears.

Don’t get me wrong, I still thought it was great. Besides ... it’s only a cigar 🤪

Don’t get me wrong, I still thought it was great. Besides ... it’s only a cigar 🤪
No, I know. I just wanted everybody me to treat themselves, and not worry about things like price or value. I knew a few folks would still put in more than they took out (intentionally) so the box would be fine regardless.

In all seriousness, I enjoyed the pass box too. The best thing I got out of it (in my eyes) was probably the non-shave related item, a fountain pen, which I’m enjoying. I would like to be in round two as well and am in the “wait a couple months” camp.

Well shoot, if its a cigar you're after I can send you one or two from my humidor. I've got some extra vintage junk too.

I'm pleased with how the pass around appears to have gone and hope to see more like it (in what ever form it ends up taking) in the future. If the cost of admission is the cost of a medium or large flat rate box ($13-$20?) it should be easy enough to put together a mixed box that is capable of making people feel like they are getting that much value. I figure, even if you bought something, anything, you are going to pay at least $4-$5 shipping anyway so value is pretty easily achieved if we allow a give and take of 2-3 items like was done this time.

Well shoot, if its a cigar you're after I can send you one or two from my humidor. I've got some extra vintage junk too.

I'm pleased with how the pass around appears to have gone and hope to see more like it (in what ever form it ends up taking) in the future. If the cost of admission is the cost of a medium or large flat rate box ($13-$20?) it should be easy enough to put together a mixed box that is capable of making people feel like they are getting that much value. I figure, even if you bought something, anything, you are going to pay at least $4-$5 shipping anyway so value is pretty easily achieved if we allow a give and take of 2-3 items like was done this time.

Chris, thank you that is very generous. I appreciate the offer, but I must decline. The cigar really was only a passing thought and the missus probably wouldn’t like it. And I have thoroughly enjoyed the items that I took from the pass around. My comment was not a regret or complaint. It was really to highlight the variety of items, which was way cool.

I’m with the others in starting the next pass after the holidays.

KJ,

I really enjoyed this experience. Thanks

Was the order of the pass good? Basically going in order across the country, or would you rather it be completely random?

I'm cool with any order. Someone is always first and someone is always last.

Were you satisfied with the quality of the goods inside the box? Was there too much of any certain category of goods? Or not enough? What do you wish (generally speaking) there was more of in the box (or had been in there at all)? Obviously it's going to change as it goes, but this will help me better stock it from the get go.

I was happy with what was in the box. One man's treasure is another man's junk.

What are your thoughts on samples in the box? I saw a lot of samples go in, but not a lot of samples go out. DO you like seeing sampels in the box? If there are samples, do you use them, or do you just sniff them and keep them in the box?

I have discontinued using samples as they are, for me, mostly hard to load for face lathering.

Are Non-shaving items ok? (fountian pens, knives, playing cards, bottle openers, cigars, etc) Or would you rather it be full of strictly shaving items?

Cool.

If you want to participae in the next round of this pass... when would you like to see it start? Not sure how much time off people would like, especially those who just recently had the box

Anytime.

Chris, thank you that is very generous. I appreciate the offer, but I must decline. The cigar really was only a passing thought and the missus probably wouldn’t like it. And I have thoroughly enjoyed the items that I took from the pass around. My comment was not a regret or complaint. It was really to highlight the variety of items, which was way cool.

I’m with the others in starting the next pass after the holidays.
Ok...so you want me to send a cigar in a glass tube (showroom quality) then, got it. No, really I get it. My wife is cool with me keeping cigars at the office in my desktop display humidors and she’s cool with my brother’s showroom/garage/man-cave/bar/cigar-lounge but not all that cool with me hanging out drinking and smoking in said man-cave bar lounge. My brother and I both have clients in the cigar industry that hooked us up with decent stock and shared some secrets on acquiring more at bargain basement prices.

KJ,

This was INSANELY cool. Thanks

Watching the progress with a pin on the map was pretty cool. I’m not married to the idea, not even looking at curtains.

I was overwhelmed a bit, and a bit reticent to “make a pig of myself”. I now know my mindset was a bit wide of the mark.

What are your thoughts on samples in the box? I saw a lot of samples go in, but not a lot of samples go out. DO you like seeing sampels in the box? If there are samples, do you use them, or do you just sniff them and keep them in the box?

I didn‘t select any samples. Mostly from knowing they would lay around and I would sooner or later include them in a Clown Puke concoction.

The Non-Shaving items were pretty neat! I enjoyed them and happily contributed knowing we to be men of multiple dimensions. Had I known some of the men downstream better, I would have launched a few other interesting things.

If you want to participae in the next round of this pass... when would you like to see it start? Not sure how much time off people would like, especially those who just recently had the box

Goodness gracious yes! I would enthusiastically participate in another round! Even to the point of splitting the box to add more ju.... stuff. I would look to first quarter of the year when the post Holiday doldrums set in.

Respectfully submitted,
Rich.

PS. Seeing how badly the Card Exchange went, I would hesitate to kill another successful program.

I still think you deserve one of these!

View attachment 12969

You really kept it together in the video! You are a great sport and I for one am glad to have you around. Even if we do give you a hard time sometimes. Jr. :LOL:
Now that it’s pretty much completed, the unboxing video of the actual pass-box is uploading.

If anyone’s worried about the pass and in the fence, this will give you an idea of the items. Then again...you may not want to ruin the surprise for yourself! I’ll post when done.

Back