The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Mystery Traveling Box

Full disclosure.... I put the (a) cigar in the box. A friend had a baby and gave it to me. I dont smoke so i just put it in the box of stuff.

Full disclosure.... I put the (a) cigar in the box. A friend had a baby and gave it to me. I dont smoke so i just put it in the box of stuff.
Full disclosure....That cigar was dried out, so I replaced it with a few of mine and put them in a double bag with a humidification pack in it. I also put instructions in the box on how to check them and if they were starting to dry out and whoever had the box didn't like cigars, to take them out and give them to some one who enjoyed cigars.

So KJ aka @Spider are you going to show what was in the box when it got back to you?

The only thing I would suggest is that everyone do an unboxing video and not post it till the pass around is over.

Full disclosure....That cigar was dried out, so I replaced it with a few of mine and put them in a double bag with a humidification pack in it. I also put instructions in the box on how to check them and if they were starting to dry out and whoever had the box didn't like cigars, to take them out and give them to some one who enjoyed cigars.
Thanks for saving someone from my stupidity. I had no idea how that they had to be moist.

Umm.... I want to go after Craig on the next one..... 😜
and definitely not after me!

The MTB was the first time I have ever participated in a pass around. I feel that the format was good and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I would definitely like to be counted in again. Thanks again Spider for putting it together.

I'm a little late getting back to the thread. But I just wanted to say that I really appreciate what you did here KJ. I thought that contents of the pass around were spot on! If I have a complaint...it's that I took way too much! And I still feel a little guilty. I know the intent was to MAKE people take things...but in the future...maybe not pack it so the box is bulging and people can't put their own items in it. I was involved in a pass around like this once where the box was significantly smaller and I had just as much fun!

I don't mind samples...but too many can e problematic.

I took a brush to rehab...but I can see where it's not everyone's jam.

I passed on the razors this time but next time I may not.

I will say...that I was apprehensive packing the cigars. They are fragile by nature and really was afraid they would get crushed.

I like the non-shaving items...I thought most of them were really nice!

Anyway...thanks again KJ!

Yes!!! Real Spider is still sporting his Vegas Golden Knights tattoo!! And to think my art teacher told me I was a draftsman and not an artist....that will show him.
I was surprised he kept the hat as well!

Thanks for saving someone from my stupidity. I had no idea how that they had to be moist.

🎓FYI, Cigars have to be properly stored at the correct temperature and humidity. They should be kept between 68% and 74% humidity and at about 70°. The rule of thumb is 70% at 70°. That being said every cigar is different and every cigar person enjoys their cigars the way they like them. I have a wide assortment of cigar blends and sizes in my humidors and I shoot for about 72° and 69%. If I focused on one blend and size I would adjust to best store that cigar.

A cigar starts to dry out the moment it is removed from a humidor. It wants to stay "moist" and it will start using the oils in the tobacco to do so. Guess what gives the cigar its flavor? Right the oils. The general rule of thumb is 3 to 5 days outside of a humidor and the cigar will start degrading to point that it is no longer the same as it was meant to be. Never store a cigar in a refrigerator which is not only too cold, but is also a dehumidifier, or in any extreme temperature, like a hot vehicle. Being at a slightly higher or lower temperature has less of an impact than the incorrect humidity does.

To check a cigar give it a firm but gentle squeeze, if it is hard or cracks, it is too dry. If it doesn't spring back to it original shape it is too moist. If it is too dry there is nothing you can do to put the flavor back into it. If it is too moist, but not molded or wet, you can put it in a properly maintained humidor and let it sit for a month or more and it should be okay.

:unsure:Also don't confuse mold with plume. Mold is BAD:eek:, Plume is GREAT!:love: Knowing and telling the difference is another lesson.:confused:

So that concludes today's lesson on cigars.;):)

To check a cigar give it a firm but gentle squeeze, if it is hard or cracks, it is too dry.
Some oddities like Onyx will feel hard as they are packed so tightly. So while Craig is correct, you need to know your brand and the difference between tightly packed firm, and drying out hard. The crackling noise of a dried cigar is a pretty good way to distinguish between the two though.

Good stuff! Thanks again KJ; looking forward to round two.

Glad you found some things you enjoy at the end of it all!

Cool, thank you for doing the video. Lots of Spider content on the web today.
Looking very dapper with the hair slicked back!

Great video!

I think putting the razors in, especially in the felt pouches, was a great idea.
I didn't take any of the brush handles, but I was interested in them, so sign me up for the PIF.

Back