The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Mystery Traveling Box

Tooooooo late
The trolls here are very well fed!

19c2277af855dee68ec78251a46c188b.png

The handoff has been made..... I’ve started going through the box and making my picks. But before I say any more about the box, we are going to need @dmshaver to catch up on posting some pics!

Had a great time today @Spider, it was great to get together & catch up.

Here's a pic of what I got from the Mystery box. I made a buy during our time together, the MdC wasn't a mystery box member being given away. The rest of the goodies in the pic is what I'm the proud owner of. The razors are a Fatip Piccolo & an EJ de89.

I would encourage anyone that didn't participate in the last Mystery Box to join the next one. It's a great way to sample a lot of items we've heard of & maybe not tried.

Well done KJ & well done Cadre!!!!!(y)

IMG_2071.jpg

Yeah, we had limited time, and so much to talk about, that I forgot about taking a pic....

OK, so I'm still going through the box, and I may try a few things before I decide if I'm going to keep them or not. But here's just a few comments.

First of all, thank you to all the participants! This was fun, and it was a blast seeing what everyone took from the box. I hope everyone enjoyed it and found it to be worthwhile. If nothing else, it gives you a chance to sample some software and try out some hardware that you'd never seen before.

Secondly, thanks to everyone who took pics of Flat Spider, and especiually to those who went above an beyond and took him on a tour. I loved looking at all of the pics and I think Flay SPider gave another dimension of fun to this pass, both as a participant, and to the casual observers of this pass. Thanks to John "The Monkey" for the idea!

There was only about 2 pieces of software in the box, that I had originally put in. I guess I did a good enough job stocking it form the get-go. But what did surprize me (a lot actually) is how much of my original hardware was still in the box. With most of the attention on the forum seemingly being on new razors, I wasn't sure how much interest there would be on vintage gillettes, and the GEM SE razors hardly get any airtime, so again I wante dot throw them in there. I really hope some folks at least tried them out. But yeah, most of the razors I put in were still there at the end.... I guess I just figured there'd be more interest in them. Also, not much interest in restoring vintage brushes, but I wasn't sure how that was going to go over to begin with.

So Looking ahead..... there will definitely be a round 2. I would like everyone's input on what you liked (or didn't like) about the pass so
I can make the second one better. You can respond in the thread, or feel free to PM me with your comments if you wish.

Example questions (but feel free to provide any feedback you wish):
Was the order of the pass good? Basically going in order across the country, or would you rather it be completely random?

Were you satisfied with the quality of the goods inside the box? Was there too much of any certain category of goods? Or not enough? What do you wish (generally speaking) there was more of in the box (or had been in there at all)? Obviously it's going to change as it goes, but this will help me better stock it from the get go.

What are your thoughts on samples in the box? I saw a lot of samples go in, but not a lot of samples go out. DO you like seeing sampels in the box? If there are samples, do you use them, or do you just sniff them and keep them in the box?

Are Non-shaving items ok? (fountian pens, knives, playing cards, bottle openers, cigars, etc) Or would you rather it be full of strictly shaving items?

If you want to participae in the next round of this pass... when would you like to see it start? Not sure how much time off people would like, especially those who just recently had the box.

For me the non shaving items I saw were pretty cool. As far as the se razors [I think I actually kept one] I have a fair few so I left those. Brushes looked like a great project, but I have 6 sitting here waiting on me to get enough time as it is.
Overall I thought the whole thing was a lot of fun.

I liked that there were non Shaving items. Doing flat rate takes the cost factor of different shipping distances out so random jumps across the country could be cool. I'd definitely be game for round 2. I'd say any time after the new year sounds good to start.

Back