The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Dreaded 2020 TSC "S Word" Thread

As a stickler for the rules, I feel adequately prepared to weigh in on this for you, and tell you more than you ever cared to hear about the subect!

A cologne is not a shaving item. Sure it seems like a gray area, because we keep colognes in our shave den, and likely with or near our aftershaves. And we may even consider cologne part of our "post shave" routine...... but it's not a "post shave" per it's use.

If you get all gussied up and fancy for your dinner date at Masa, you'll probably be spritzing yourself before you head out the door. That act is very far removed from your shave.

Now, if you're buying an aftershave splash and using it as a cologne.... that would be against the rules, because it is a shaving product, regardless of how you are using it. I know that's not the case here, just throwing it out there for the greater understanding.

Having said that last statement now makes me think about this...... I have a few aftershaves, that are actually labeled cologne (Pinaud Lime Sec, Citrus Musk, etc...), or there are products like Aqua Velva Musk that say After Shave / Cologne on them...... So the gray area here is how you use it. If you use it as an aftershave, it's out. If you use it as a cologne, I guess it's fair game. However, if you are using it as a cologne for the duration of the "S", and when it's over you will use it as an aftershave, well you just gamed the system and you're a dirty, dirty cheat! LOL
Thanks for weighing in and in detail KJ. This is exactly how I feel and what it was explained as in the other neighborhood by my recollection. @dkeester makes a valid point to. These were at Kohl's and I got Ferrari Black because it was$14 and @BarberDave made it look good and a Paca Rabanna Pour Homme for $12. Couldn't pass them up and they are not aftershave or used as aftershave. That was close. I got them without thinking but then felt it was no different than buying bow ties now.

That was close. I got them without thinking.....
That's exactly how people get knocked out of these restraints. Small innocent purchases made without thinking. I seem to recall someone getting knocked out early one year because they bought a stick of Arko

If it is a cologne from a shaving product manufacturer, like a Stirling EdT or a PAA EdT, I would say that constitutes a shaving purchase.
Can you explain your rationale for that? I don't see a difference.... it's still not a shaving product.

Can you explain your rationale for that? I don't see a difference.... it's still not a shaving product.
Those products are meant to compliment a shaving product and are part of the scent "line" for that producer. For example, the Stirling Gentleman EdT is meant to compliment and be used after the Stirling Gentleman soap and AS and is part of the Stirling Gentleman "line" of products. Maybe I am splitting hairs, but it seems like in that case it could count as a shaving purchase.

So legit question on shipping.

If you are receiving a shaving item, a PIF, that was of no cost to you. If you offer to pay shipping, does that knock you out of the “S” thing? I thought I read earlier that the answer is yes, I just wanted to verify.

Also, are pass-arounds excluded from the “S” thing?

So legit question on shipping.

If you are receiving a shaving item, a PIF, that was of no cost to you. If you offer to pay shipping, does that knock you out of the “S” thing? I thought I read earlier that the answer is yes, I just wanted to verify.

Also, are pass-arounds excluded from the “S” thing?
Shipping will knock you out.

Pass arounds will not.

In my book this was always left to the gentleman and his goal in doing the S thing. For me saving money wasn't the object. I just want to enjoy what I have. That said I see nothing wrong with doing a pass to try things you may want in the future and can find out from the pass that may not be repeated and keep notes.

Something I want just dropped and it isn't on my exception list.
This will probably sell out in a matter of days, as it always does.
I guess I have to wait until next year.:cry:

Something I want just dropped and it isn't on my exception list.
This will probably sell out in a matter of days, as it always does.
I guess I have to wait until next year.:cry:
Hang tough Doug. I want the dart and black 6s but removed them from my exceptions.......We got this 👍

Last edited:
1. Dave in KY exception A Dragonsbeard Set if released and any Cadre Exclusive/limited type thing
2. dkeester - first six months of 2020 - exceptions 1) a new strop, 2) 1 or 2 new, non-vintage straight razors, 3) a Paladin brush, 4) 1-3 plates for Karve DE
3. Milkcrate - exceptions 1 or 2 CBL soaps and 1 or 2 Stirling sets and trades.
4. MaineYooper - exceptions 1 & 2) replacement soap when/if needed, 3) Karve SS plates/stand
5. Aaron - all year - one shave soap, TSC anniversary item
6. Somnos - TSC Anniversary Item
7. bobmsp - exceptions - 1 DE razor and 1 SE razor

Once again I am being tempted.

I am a big fan of AV Ice Blue. I haven't used it very recently, so I pulled it out today. I just love the scent. So, a few minutes ago I found myself on eBay looking at vintage glass AV bottles so that I can start decanting out of the shatterproof bottle that it comes in now.

I really want to put my AV into nice glass.

I haven't pulled the trigger, but I am really tempted.

Back