The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Dreaded 2020 TSC "S Word" Thread

I have so much stuff that I can't store it all. Exceptions or not, I need to stop buying for a while. So, @NurseDave can be "anti" all he wants, I just need to use up a bunch of what I have. I may, in all truth, have enough stuff to last me until 2030.

Oh, yeah, I'd better list an exception for the TSC anniversary thing.

1. Dave in KY exception A Dragonsbeard Set if released and any Cadre Exclusive/limited type thing
2. dkeester - first six months of 2020 - exceptions 1) a new strop, 2) 1 or 2 new, non-vintage straight razors, 3) a Paladin brush, 4) 1-3 plates for Karve DE
3. Milkcrate - exceptions 1 or 2 CBL soaps and 1 or 2 Stirling sets and trades.
4. MaineYooper - exceptions 1 & 2) replacement soap when/if needed, 3) Karve SS plates/stand
5. Aaron - all year - one shave soap, TSC anniversary item

Well I do believe I have everything needed for a very long time. Time to enjoy my abundant stash of everything. Nothing since Jan 1st but I promise nothing. I will give it a go...

1. Dave in KY exception A Dragonsbeard Set if released and any Cadre Exclusive/limited type thing
2. dkeester - first six months of 2020 - exceptions 1) a new strop, 2) 1 or 2 new, non-vintage straight razors, 3) a Paladin brush, 4) 1-3 plates for Karve DE
3. Milkcrate - exceptions 1 or 2 CBL soaps and 1 or 2 Stirling sets and trades.
4. MaineYooper - exceptions 1 & 2) replacement soap when/if needed, 3) Karve SS plates/stand
5. Aaron - all year - one shave soap, TSC anniversary item
6. Somnos - TSC Anniversary Item

You don't have to. The rules allow for purchases of any TSC sponsored or branded items since that supports the forum.
There were no rules posted when this thread started, so it maybe wasn't clear.

Honest Question that I can't remember how we handled this in other neighborhoods. I'm doing a shave "S" thing. Seems getting a frag would be okay as it is separate from the shave..............at least it is to me. I normally do it hour or ore after the shave and think it was never considered in other "S" things. I'm not going to buy a bunch but saw a GREAT deal on a few at Kohl's the other day. What y'all say. Would a frag or 2, Knock a guy out or Not?

PS: Question is posed to those in the "S" thing and while I'm not ignoring others thoughts. Obviously blatant comments directed to get me knocked out for gloating purposes will be politely ignored šŸ˜œ

I'm not in the S thing, so you can ignore my comment but I still felt I had a valid opinion (unlike the likely trolling that'll ensue).

I shave without cologne everyday... Yet I still think it's considered a shave. I also wash my hands, face, etc with soap. However, as far as I know, you'd still be allowed to buy hand / bodywash (unless it's the Woodstock edition of the S thing). Also hand towels... not an S thing preclusion, but used both for a shave and general bathroom cleanliness.

I'm with ya, it has always been in my mind for direct shave related things... Razor, blade, soap, aftershave, bowls, styptic pens, etc..

I'm not in the S thing, so you can ignore my comment but I still felt I had a valid opinion (unlike the likely trolling that'll ensue).

I shave without cologne everyday... Yet I still think it's considered a shave. I also wash my hands, face, etc with soap. However, as far as I know, you'd still be allowed to buy hand / bodywash (unless it's the Woodstock edition of the S thing). Also hand towels... not an S thing preclusion, but used both for a shave and general bathroom cleanliness.

I'm with ya, it has always been in my mind for direct shave related things... Razor, blade, soap, aftershave, bowls, styptic pens, etc..
Thanks Doug and I was hoping even those not in with honest viewpoints would share. Hey @NurseDave Doug called you a Troll šŸ˜‚ šŸ˜œ Just Kidding

As a stickler for the rules, I feel adequately prepared to weigh in on this for you, and tell you more than you ever cared to hear about the subect!

5. Buying means spending money on shaving goods.
A cologne is not a shaving item. Sure it seems like a gray area, because we keep colognes in our shave den, and likely with or near our aftershaves. And we may even consider cologne part of our "post shave" routine...... but it's not a "post shave" per it's use.

If you get all gussied up and fancy for your dinner date at Masa, you'll probably be spritzing yourself before you head out the door. That act is very far removed from your shave.

Now, if you're buying an aftershave splash and using it as a cologne.... that would be against the rules, because it is a shaving product, regardless of how you are using it. I know that's not the case here, just throwing it out there for the greater understanding.

Having said that last statement now makes me think about this...... I have a few aftershaves, that are actually labeled cologne (Pinaud Lime Sec, Citrus Musk, etc...), or there are products like Aqua Velva Musk that say After Shave / Cologne on them...... So the gray area here is how you use it. If you use it as an aftershave, it's out. If you use it as a cologne, I guess it's fair game. However, if you are using it as a cologne for the duration of the "S", and when it's over you will use it as an aftershave, well you just gamed the system and you're a dirty, dirty cheat! LOL

Last edited:
As a stickler for the rules, I feel adequately prepared to weigh in on this for you, and tell you more than you ever cared to hear about the subect!

A cologne is not a shaving item. Sure it seems like a gray area, because we keep colognes in our shave den, and likely with or near our aftershaves. And we may even consider cologne part of our "post shave" routine...... but it's not a "post shave" per it's use.

If you get all gussied up and fancy for your dinner date at Masa, you'll probably be spritzing yourself before you head out the door. That act is very far removed from your shave.

Now, if you're buying an aftershave splash and using it as a cologne.... that would be against the rules, because it is a shaving product, regardless of how you are using it. I know that's not the case here, just throwing it out there for the greater understanding.

Having said that last statement now makes me think about this...... I have a few aftershaves, that are actually labeled cologne (Pinaud Lime Sec, Citrus Musk, etc...), or there are products like Aqua Velva Musk that say After Shave / Cologne on them...... So the gray area here is how you use it. If you use it as an aftershave, it's out. If you use it as a cologne, I guess it's fair game. However, if you are using it as a cologne for the duration of the "S", and when it's over you will use it as an aftershave, well you just gamed the system and you're a dirty, dirty cheat! LOL
I would add one thing to what KJ said here, but others may disagree. If it is a cologne from a shaving product manufacturer, like a Stirling EdT or a PAA EdT, I would say that constitutes a shaving purchase. If it is from Chanel, Guerlain, Tom Ford, or some other fragrance house you are in the clear.

Now I have a gray area question for you all. @The Monkey is offering free soap to anyone who wants some. PIFs and gifts are not disallowed, but are in the gray. This is meant to be a sabbatical from purchasing.

What do you guys think. Would it knock someone out to get some free soap from John?

The rules have allowed PIFs and swaps and every other which way to get stuff other than purchasing. Which never made sense to me if the intent is to stop the need to acquire things and enjoy what you already have. If it's just to control the budget then no biggie.

I don't think a PIF is a gray area at all. Per your rules:
3. For the duration of the restraint all shave purchases are disallowed.
A PIF is not a purchase, and therefore totally allowed (so long as the PIFer is not asking you to cover postage, to me at least, that equates to paying for something).

As Dave stated though..... what is your intent when joining the restraint? Is it just to stop spening money..... or is it really aimed at not aquiring new things? This is for you to decide on your own, only you can say what your intentions are, and you should therefore be able to answer the questions of gray areas based on your own intent. Seems like if you have to pause and ask the question, then it isn't meeting your intent, but that's just me projecting, don't take that as me placing judgement on anytign you've said. I'm just throwing it out there.

Now I have a gray area question for you all. @The Monkey is offering free soap to anyone who wants some. PIFs and gifts are not disallowed, but are in the gray. This is meant to be a sabbatical from purchasing.

What do you guys think. Would it knock someone out to get some free soap from John?
The rules have allowed PIFs and swaps and every other which way to get stuff other than purchasing. Which never made sense to me if the intent is to stop the need to acquire things and enjoy what you already have. If it's just to control the budget then no biggie.
If it makes a difference these are just small sample size pieces.

Back