The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Sumo March 2023 Tourney and Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though sad my that the Yokozuna run and PapaBasho are off the cards, seeing Midorifuji's performance is making up for it.
What really impresses me most is for a 'small' guy he doesn't use any tricks to win, it's just damn fine sumo. Rooting for him to take it this basho!

Awesome day 11 action today!

Juryo!
  • Tamashoho eked out a victory after a do over with Atamifuji, both "win/losses" were very close. Surprised there was not another Monoi/review.
  • Shimanoumi rocked Akua today, sounded like he fell off a horse...
  • ENHO, chasing that Kachi Koshi with some weird little guys stuff against a much larger Takakento(almost 150lbs different), but it didn't work out for him today. I think he'll pull it off!
  • Tochimusashi looks sleepy like the Snorlax but pulled out the win against the green jelly roll Chiyomaru
  • Ichinojo solidly out smarted the young Ochiai!!! WOW, he was working HARD for that win, he kept with him all the way, but the snorlax used his career experience to toss the youngster aside. Alas, no big playoff... ICHINIOJO 10-1
  • Tochinoshin, still sticking in there, but why... He loves it, I know. Glad he had Daiamami today instead of someone who could hurt him more. With this loss he is assured to drop further in the rankings. I hope to see him retire soon, but who knows...
  • Brilliant fight out of Shimazuumi, putting out some smothering effort to knock out Chiyonokuni via Shitatenage, @Majorrich 's favorite old man laugh move.
  • Roga seems to be struggling this basho, I was hoping to see him continue to move up, but Tohakuryu handled him with little effort.
  • Asenoyama against the youngster Gonoyama. What a match! Gonoyama definitely had Asanoyama on the ropes with that EXCELLENT Tachiai, but when it came to the ropes, Asa had give up in him and pulled off a masterful UWATENAGE!!!!! ASENOYAMA 10-1

Makuuchi!

• Oshoma started it out timidly, but pulled off a nice Shitatenage after being solidly manhandled by Tsurugisho. Looks like he must have hurt that shoulder yesterday.
  • KINBOZAN Smothered by Diashoho. At the Tachiai, it sounded like someone died on the toilet. :ROFLMAO:
  • Kotoeko caught Takanosho, in a great pull. I thought it was going the otherway especilly with Taka's drive!
  • Azumaryu already heading back to Juryo covered up by Mitoryu and forced out.
  • Chiyoshoma having a a great basho scored his Kachi Koshi over a deflated Nishikifuji(wondering if he's hurt)
  • Myogiryu vs Hokuseiho, where the giant scored one more toward his Kachi Koshi over the veteran.
  • Bushozan looses to Hiradoumi with a heck of a tachiai by both, GREAT hard fighting match!
  • Oho manhandled Aioyama with the assets serving little use during this match, great sumo!
  • Kagayaki over Inchiyamamoto, Abi lite didn't seem to have much gas today, poor Tachiai too.
  • Takarafuji, scored a heck of a Kotenage against Sadanoumi. Hope to see taka make his kachi Koshi, but it will be though.
  • Roga v kotoshoho, a leaning match, won out by Kotoshoho as Roga ran out of gas at the bails and was thrown(or lost his balance) by a lazy looking Shitatenage
  • ABI with the hands to Nishkigi's face, switch the direction of motion and slammed Nishikigi to the deck.
  • URA OMG YES HECK OF A MATCH over the former ozeki today. He's on his way to his Kachi Koshi, loving the fight today! 2 more! Seemed like Shodai lost that fire today, hot and cold that guy is...
  • Mitakeumi owned by Tamawashi's throat grip, I'm doubtful either will pull out the Kachi Koshi, but still hitting it hard.
  • Kotonowaka dropped by Hokutofuji in a big way! I was not expecting the toss at the edge, considering Hokutofuji has a way of not fighting it out, but he showed heart today.
  • Wakamotoharu crushed out Midorifuji, giving him his first loss and Wakamotoharu his Kachi Koshi!!! Solid match with both fighting inside. I think the superior size and weight played an advantage today. Waka just wanted it more!
  • Daieisho, WOW!!!! Heck of a win over Papayasu! I was sure dadbod was gonna take it, put the throat thrust of daiesho was too much for him! AWESOME SUMO!
  • Wakatakakage knows the margins are tight and his lit his fire! Great sumo to defeat the flying monkey, by spinning him in circles lol
  • Kiribayama over Meisei for his Kachi Koshi, changing the direction and slapping him down.
  • Endo already 8-2 looses to Hoshoryu after a henka attempt, but Golden boy had his number and took him for a ride on the UWATENAE TRAIN! Awesome final match of the day!

Best sumo of the week so far!

Several exciting upsets and fantastic finishes!!! Some of the matches seems to start out in sleep mode, but the finish was awesome!

I just checked and NHK is still a day behind and showing no Juryo Matches. Boy they stink and providing for their foreign fans.

HOSHORYU SPOILS IT FOR MIDORIFUJI!!!!! WOW, What a match!!!
TORINAOSHI FOR WAKA & KOTONOWAKA!!! AND IT'S WAKA!!!!

Great set of matches to end the day!

Last edited:
HOSHORYU SPOILS IT FOR MIDORIFUJI!!!!! WOW, What a match!!!
TORINAOSHI FOR WAKA & KOTONOWAKA!!! AND IT'S WAKA!!!!

Great set of matches to end the day!
Midori got so unlucky with when he lost traction. that one could have gone either way.

With the way some of the Komosubi are performing this Basho, we could see a few of them going for Ozeki in May i think, along with Kiribiyama.

Midori got so unlucky with when he lost traction. that one could have gone either way.

With the way some of the Komosubi are performing this Basho, we could see a few of them going for Ozeki in May i think, along with Kiribiyama.

Couldn't agree more! Kiribiyama, Wakamotoharu, Daieisho(best chance), and Hoshoryu(not likely) could all pull it off or set themselves up to get there in a hurry!

Couldn't agree more! Kiribiyama, Wakamotoharu, Daieisho(best chance), and Hoshoryu(not likely) could all pull it off or set themselves up to get there in a hurry!
I actually think Kiribiyama has the best shot. He had 11 wins last Basho at Komosubi and is at 10 now. Daieisho was M1 last Basho but is setting a solid base for the push with this Basho.

I actually think Kiribiyama has the best shot. He had 11 wins last Basho at Komosubi and is at 10 now. Daieisho was M1 last Basho but is setting a solid base for the push with this Basho.
It could be a particularly exciting basho this May! Imagine Terunofuji and Takakeisho back and doing well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back