The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Stirred UP

People who are supposed to do a job and are just simply horrible at it. I would share a post from my company but I’m too embarrassed by it to let anyone see.

Is hating new slang another one of those signs you’re getting old?

Why the heck does “it’s been a minute” now mean a long time? A minute is a pretty short period of time.

And shorting “Oh! I’m the same way” to “same”. Same? Did you just forget the rest of your scentence? You sound like a flippin’ moron.

Why the heck does “it’s been a minute” now mean a long time? A minute is a pretty short period of time.

And shorting “Oh! I’m the same way” to “same”. Same? Did you just forget the rest of your scentence? You sound like a flippin’ moron.

I think some things like that are where you are from. (although I don't like "same" either.) "I know, right?" bugs me too.
When I lived in NC my woman used to get on my case because I would ask for a "couple" of something like M&Ms and she would only give me two. "A couple is TWO" she would tell me, and then she would ask me to "go raise the window down"..........

Then there’s those old guys that have frags and shaving soaps on the brain.

?

One of the slang terms I hate is “I’m finna” as in “I’m fixing to”. It just sounds overtly stupid.

Ok...this is, from what I can tell, a very new thing; "lowkey" being used as an adverb...WTH.

For example, instead of saying, "Hey, I know most people don't like the veg, but I'm kind of happy when I wear it."
Current slang for this would be: "Hey, I know most people don't like the veg, but I'm lowkey happy when I wear it."

This is what happens when grammar is tossed out the window. Atrocious.

I think some things like that are where you are from. (although I don't like "same" either.) "I know, right?" bugs me too.
When I lived in NC my woman used to get on my case because I would ask for a "couple" of something like M&Ms and she would only give me two. "A couple is TWO" she would tell me, and then she would ask me to "go raise the window down"..........
I here the "I know right" all the time. Bugged me at first for awhile. I've used it a time or 2 on here jokingly. I guess that's how we get indoctrinated and language changes.........I'll try not to use it anymore. ?

Ok...this is, from what I can tell, a very new thing; "lowkey" being used as an adverb...WTH.

For example, instead of saying, "Hey, I know most people don't like the veg, but I'm kind of happy when I wear it."
Current slang for this would be: "Hey, I know most people don't like the veg, but I'm lowkey happy when I wear it."

This is what happens when grammar is tossed out the window. Atrocious.

What the hell is that crap! I haven't heard anyone use it like that...or at least I wasn't paying attention...but I am likely to punch someone in the face for saying that.

Okay...I won't really...but I will want to!

I have my suspicions about why this is becoming a thing, but truth be told, it's not a discussion to get into on here; even if I lowkey want to talk about it. ?

I saw something yesterday that turnt me up but it may or may not be politically correct to post about it so I’m gonna stay hush bout it for a minute.

The use of slang doesn’t bother me so much as the slang itself....if that makes sense. We live in a time where two things have converged. One, television kids the other Twitter/texting. Then you have The seemingly natural desire to be unique by rejecting or stretching the norms. The kids raised around the same time as my own (plus or minus) where placed in front of a television watching cartoons that not only lacked the pithy dialogue a quality looney toons cartoon would have, they lacked any form of structure...bouncing from one thought to another without any reasonable line of thought. These cartoons fed the ADHD concept, and filled impressionable minds with content of no value. These kids learned to speak by hearing words without seeing them spoken by a real person and without receiving feedback about their own understanding of the words. Listen to the speech patterns of kids under 10, you will find them pronouncing words very incorrectly as a result of not being shown how to form the words in their mouth and they will often be saying words entirely incorrectly because they mis-heard the words in the first place. Add in the added challenges of speaking English as a second language and it’s a miracle we understand a word that’s being said. Now, these kids are young adults and are virtually unable to communicate outside of their own circles. ***THIS DRIVES ME INSANE***

Take these same kids and put them in charge of developing the language of 180 characters and bad things were bound to happen.

I think the best explanations and descriptions of the use of slang these days are also the most politically incorrect so I won’t go any further here. ....other than to say slang is usually representative of education, culture, personal and family values, social engagement, self worth and perception of others self worth.

To keep this train of thought moving I’ll add that I get a little stirred up when obviously “average” people try to impress the people around them by attempting to use the big words....stick to 180 characters man.

I was in the local Dollar Tree store yesterday and witnessed the people in front of me using a EBT card for 2$ of their 4$ total bill and all they had was 2-20oz Mountain Dew, a small bag of Purina dog food and a snickers bar

I was in the local Dollar Tree store yesterday and witnessed the people in front of me using a EBT card for 2$ of their 4$ total bill and all they had was 2-20oz Mountain Dew, a small bag of Purina dog food and a snickers bar

1f621.png

I understand those programs are there for a reason and some people really need that extra help. But the people who abuse the system really gets me stirred up! I wish they had better control over those programs.

That's all I'll say to avoid sounding like jerk.

Back