The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Stirred UP

Cell phones!!!

I got tired of being raped by verizon. The final straw was when they told me that they were forcing me to upgrade my phone to a 4g phone. By upgrading my unlimited data that they did away with was no longer grandfathered in, even though they were forcing the upgrade. I asked how much it would reduce my bill and she told me it would go UP almost $20!?!? So I said you are downgrading my service and charging me more money?!?!? Her answer was well... that's one way to look at it. I asked what other way is there? so I switched.
Out here unfortunately the only thing to switch to at the time was verizon again, but it was prepaid and not a contract. Still, it wasn't one of their rape you contracts.

I had that for about 6 months and straight talk became available. I still couldn't call from the house as we were in a dead zone, but it worked around where I could use the verizon one. Cool. I don't have to pay them anything anymore!

About 6 months after that, the put a tower up near the house. I can look out of my front door and see it. It's right on top of the hill. Right there! I could make calls for the first week until verizon realized somebody flipped the wrong switch.
Voice is on 3g. 3g.... not 4g that they tried to force me into, but 3g. They got a grant from Obama to put up more towers to make 4g more accessible. They accidentally turned on both and if they had the 3g for some reason they would have had to pay back the grant so they shut it off as soon as they realized.

Straight talk, does not offer voice over data, so I could no longer make calls from the house. Again.
I recently got a nice promotional deal from my cable/internet provider that gives me unlimited talk and text with my plan. All I need to do is buy a phone from them and pay for data if I use any. $30 a month for a phone is cheaper than a pre-paid card. I needed a new phone anyway. And I rarely use any data, but it's only $12 for a gig if I do. I don't think I've gone over a gig of data in the last year. Plus! I get a $300 visa after 90 days for porting my number in.

Sounds like it should be great and easy right? Well, my straight talk ran out Saturday, but I didn't renew it because I knew the new phone would be here Wed. Got it and tried to activate it. Won't work. Talk to comcast. Tried again. Got to verify stuff with straight talk. OH!!! the phone needs to be active to port the number..........
So I had to buy another card for a phone I wasn't going to use. Got that done. Still have spent all day today trying to get it done. $35, a 30 mile round trip, and two days, just to port a stupid number over... Really?

I'd normally rather have a house phone, but the mom and pop shop here is protected and no one else is allowed in. I was paying $117 A MONTH! Just for a house phone! The last bill I paid before I cancelled it was 2 years ago and they were charging that! I was paying less than that for cable and internet combined.

Most of the time living in the sticks is great, but sometimes......

Love getting to my doc appt's early and sitting in waiting room still 30 minutes past my appointment time. Then they do vitals snd stick me in another room to wait 30 minutes. What do you do when needing perscription renewals,.......... Drives me nuts

Why Mr Potts your blood pressure is a little high. Me, well there was that 40 minutes waiting past my appointment. Them, Oh

Never saw that one, hysterical. Hour and a half for 10 minutes of time and I smiled the whole time. When they retook blood pressure before leaving it was normal. I should speak up but tend to internalize things

Why Mr Potts your blood pressure is a little high. Me, well there was that 40 minutes waiting past my appointment. Them, Oh

Yes, sometimes here you’ll be lucky to get back to real life a couple hours later; you may not even get to see your actual doctor at all.

Never saw that one, hysterical. Hour and a half for 10 minutes of time and I smiled the whole time. When they retook blood pressure before leaving it was normal. I should speak up but tend to internalize things

Doctors offices are always horrible. Our pediatrician is always behind. Mainly because she is such a talker and really engages all her patients. It is both very nice and very frustrating. But my loves her and she has a waiting list a mile long so we don't leave her. But for our daughters 18 month check up we were there for 90 min.

Love getting to my doc appt's early and sitting in waiting room still 30 minutes past my appointment time. Then they do vitals snd stick me in another room to wait 30 minutes. What do you do when needing perscription renewals,.......... Drives me nuts
As a cadre we take full responsibility for this. If we kept the forums more active, you would have enjoyed having the extra time.

As a cadre we take full responsibility for this. If we kept the forums more active, you would have enjoyed having the extra time.
Well, it did go quicker once I got back there then usual so 1 hour and a half or 40 minutes total but was afraid it was going to be much worse. And yes, you guys let me down. Why can't everyone stop everything they're doing when I need y'all "

Well, it did go quicker once I got back there then usual so 1 hour and a half or 40 minutes total but was afraid it was going to be much worse. And yes, you guys let me down. Why can't everyone stop everything they're doing when I need y'all "

Sorry, I was AFK. Had to work. It happens every now and then.

My dads (previous) cardiologist was routinely 2 hours or more late. My mom and dad both used to call the office at the time of their appointment and ask how far behind he was and adjust the time of their arrival according to how far behind he was. Last year when I had to drive my dad to all of his appointments we had an 8 am (first appointment of the day) appt and the doctor strolled in at 9:30. My treatment of the doctor was a little harsh ...we now have a new cardiologist who is much better at time management and has a superb bedside manner.

I am no fan of Frontier phone/internet service. When they were spun off from Verizon and they began managing the billing things got so bad it involved lawyers. I had overpaid by $80 before switching to a new provider. I would have been happy to be reimbursed but didn't hod my breath. Then, 3 months later I got a collections notice indicating I owed some trivial amount (maybe $20-$30). I ignored the first notice thinking information had crossed but when I got the second notice I called and was told I needed to PROVE I had paid the VERIZON bill that preceded the switch to Frontier because Verizon had not reported that payment. I was able to provide proof of every payment made so I thought all was settled. several months later I am sent a letter from the Frontier legal team. My interaction with the legal team got heated and involved some legal responses of my own. In my final response I provided evidence and proof that I was in fact owed $80 and asked for reimbursement from the collections department ...I never got my money back but they stopped harassing me.

Fast forward to this time last year when I needed internet service for my office. Frontier (one of two options on my area) was the cheapest and easiest at $19/mo no install fee, so i went with them. After a couple months I found the service too slow for my needs so I asked to upgrade my service to the next level. I was told I could not do that because I had a 1 year contract and would have to terminate that contract before upgrading ...but by terminating early I would be prohibited from having new service so I really wasn't able to make any changes. A few months later I inquired again and was pretty much told the same thing. Finally, last month I get a new bill with a 20% increase (ten months into my 12 month contract). When I called them to ask about it they told me my contract locked in the service charge but the additional amount was in fact a FEE and really was supposed be on my bill the whole time, they had made a mistake not charging me that particular fee all along. At this time I asked them about upgrading my service, using the "you changed the terms of my contract, why can't I change the service speed" argument. I was again told the same story and was also informed my bill would go from $19.99 a month to $40 a month at the end of my contract. I responded with a big thank you, letting the guy know he had just made my decision for me, i would be switching to the new provider asap since they charge $40 for the higher speed. The service guy told me I should call the "retention department" before making the change as they would likely do something special to keep me.

I wasted no time arranging for the other provider to come out and install everything. Turned out they would pay the termination expenses and waive the install fees so I had no reason to wait. When I called to ask Frontier t cancel my service I was told I was on a month to month contract all along and the people I spoke to in the past had not meant what I thought they meant. Now I wait with baited breath to see if they continue to bill my account and what amount they attempt to take.

The person in the office that keeps changing the sound the microwaves makes when it's done from a beep to some cutesy little song.

The person in the office that keeps changing the sound the microwaves makes when it's done from a beep to some cutesy little song.

Must be a heck of a microwave! I’ve not seen one where that was even an option.

Back